P42.80C or 3.00 GHz Northwood -- temp./performance/price/f..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I am building my first PC. It will be used for photography and video
editing and other general uses -- maybe *some* gaming.

I have chosen (tentatively) an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (i865PE)
motheroard.

Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
of the various CPU's and their power consumption.

Can someone help me out regarding these two chips, please?

And also, I don't intend to overclock, and silence is good for me, so
are the included CPU fans on both of these chips equally good? I did
hear that the 2.8 is quieter and better than the 3.0 GHz. True?

Thank you.
Greg Conquest

------ Greg Conquest ------
http://gregconquest.com
14 answers Last reply
More about northwood temp performance price
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Greg Conquest wrote:
    > I am building my first PC. It will be used for photography and video
    > editing and other general uses -- maybe *some* gaming.
    >
    > I have chosen (tentatively) an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (i865PE)
    > motheroard.
    >
    > Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
    > much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
    > of the various CPU's and their power consumption.
    >
    > Can someone help me out regarding these two chips, please?
    >
    > And also, I don't intend to overclock, and silence is good for me, so
    > are the included CPU fans on both of these chips equally good? I did
    > hear that the 2.8 is quieter and better than the 3.0 GHz. True?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Greg Conquest
    >

    > ------ Greg Conquest ------
    > http://gregconquest.com

    1. The P4P800-E is a nice i865 board, I run the P4C800-E i875 and it
    kicks ass.

    2. For Intel processors and power consumption statistics, you can look
    at Intel's reference page here:

    > http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm#Specifications

    The chart you want is at the very bottom, so just PgDown till you get
    there :)

    2.8C (Northwood) 69.7 W
    2.8E (Prescott) 89W
    3.0C (Northwood) 81.9W
    3.0E (Prescott) 89W

    (The freaking 3.2E/3.4E all pull 100W+ but the 3.4C is only 82W for
    comparison)

    3. If your not overclocking (I don't either) the included intel HSF is
    nice, but just FYI, unless they have changed it, the 2.8C will come with
    a solid aluminum HSF combo, the 3.0C ships with a copper-centered
    aluminum HSF design. I prefer the copper core as it pull heat away
    better. Both fans are a touch on the noisy side for my tastes, but I
    found that a good case (Antec Sonata) reduced my noise levels, without
    having to sacrifice any rpm off the fans. Plus the TruePower380W that
    ships with it adjusts its own fan if the heat goes over 45C..

    And IIRC, they now have a company (acoustipack?? pak?) someone, that
    makes a 'kit' for the Antec Sonata, with sound dampening material, you
    can make it even quieter.

    4. If your not overclocking, don't waste the money for aftermarket
    HSF's, spend it on a decent 92/120mm case fan to help with airflow, the
    Intel HSF is more than adequate to keep your CPU cool during heavy load
    if your running in spec.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Greg Conquest wrote:

    > I am building my first PC. It will be used for photography and video
    > editing and other general uses -- maybe *some* gaming.
    >
    > I have chosen (tentatively) an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (i865PE)
    > motheroard.
    >
    > Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
    > much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
    > of the various CPU's and their power consumption.

    http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

    While you are there, look at the power consumption numbers for AMD
    processors.

    > Can someone help me out regarding these two chips, please?
    >
    > And also, I don't intend to overclock, and silence is good for me, so
    > are the included CPU fans on both of these chips equally good? I did
    > hear that the 2.8 is quieter and better than the 3.0 GHz. True?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Greg Conquest
    >
    > ------ Greg Conquest ------
    > http://gregconquest.com
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Philip Callan wrote:
    > Greg Conquest wrote:
    >
    >> I am building my first PC. It will be used for photography and video
    >> editing and other general uses -- maybe *some* gaming.
    >>
    >> I have chosen (tentatively) an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (i865PE)
    >> motheroard.
    >>
    >> Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
    >> much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
    >> of the various CPU's and their power consumption.
    >>
    >> Can someone help me out regarding these two chips, please?
    >>
    >> And also, I don't intend to overclock, and silence is good for me, so
    >> are the included CPU fans on both of these chips equally good? I did
    >> hear that the 2.8 is quieter and better than the 3.0 GHz. True?

    [snip]

    > 4. If your not overclocking, don't waste the money for aftermarket
    > HSF's, spend it on a decent 92/120mm case fan to help with airflow, the
    > Intel HSF is more than adequate to keep your CPU cool during heavy load
    > if your running in spec.

    Okay, we just parted company. I really like to use a pair of thermo 80mm
    fans. Two reasons, one being noise and one avoiding a single point of
    failure. Just my read on it. I also like the cases with the fan in the
    side, even if they are a bit garish.

    --
    bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com)
    Project Leader, USENET news

    Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Philip Callan wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    >> 4. If your not overclocking, don't waste the money for aftermarket
    >> HSF's, spend it on a decent 92/120mm case fan to help with airflow,
    >> the Intel HSF is more than adequate to keep your CPU cool during heavy
    >> load if your running in spec.
    >

    > Okay, we just parted company. I really like to use a pair of thermo 80mm
    > fans. Two reasons, one being noise and one avoiding a single point of
    > failure. Just my read on it. I also like the cases with the fan in the
    > side, even if they are a bit garish.

    :)

    My Antec has a 120mm in the back, and one in the front as well, plus
    PSU, I'm glad my case dampens most of the sound.

    I'm not one for the windows myself, and the only machines I tend to put
    sidepanels with fan grills on is servers with lots of HD's
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:01:58 GMT, Philip Callan wrote:
    >Greg Conquest wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
    >> much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
    >> of the various CPU's and their power consumption.
    <snip>
    >> Thank you.
    >> Greg Conquest

    >1. The P4P800-E is a nice i865 board, I run the P4C800-E i875 and it
    >kicks ass.
    >
    >2. For Intel processors and power consumption statistics, you can look
    >at Intel's reference page here:
    >
    >> http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm#Specifications

    >The chart you want is at the very bottom, so just PgDown till you get
    >there :)
    >
    >2.8C (Northwood) 69.7 W
    >2.8E (Prescott) 89W
    >3.0C (Northwood) 81.9W
    >3.0E (Prescott) 89W

    Thanks for the link and the explantion, Philip. I had seen that page
    before. The power consumption gradually increases from the 2.40C to
    the 2.60C and the 2.80C, but then there is a big jump to the 3GHZ
    chips, and none of them are called 3.0C. I couldn't figure it out.
    Anyway, you've confirmed my suspicion about the best Northwood
    (800FSB) for me.

    >(The freaking 3.2E/3.4E all pull 100W+ but the 3.4C is only 82W for
    >comparison)
    >
    >3. If your not overclocking (I don't either) the included intel HSF is
    >nice, but just FYI, unless they have changed it, the 2.8C will come with
    >a solid aluminum HSF combo, the 3.0C ships with a copper-centered
    >aluminum HSF design. I prefer the copper core as it pull heat away
    >better. Both fans are a touch on the noisy side for my tastes, but I
    >found that a good case (Antec Sonata) reduced my noise levels, without
    >having to sacrifice any rpm off the fans. Plus the TruePower380W that
    >ships with it adjusts its own fan if the heat goes over 45C..

    So you're saying both CPU fans are equally noisy, but the 3.0C fan is
    more effecient. Hmm . . .

    >And IIRC, they now have a company (acoustipack?? pak?) someone, that
    >makes a 'kit' for the Antec Sonata, with sound dampening material, you
    >can make it even quieter.

    I'll check into this. Antec, CoolerMaster, LianLi, and Windy are the
    cases I'm considering. Living in Japan, I don't see the same cases
    that are popular stateside.

    Thanks again,
    Greg Conquest

    >4. If your not overclocking, don't waste the money for aftermarket
    >HSF's, spend it on a decent 92/120mm case fan to help with airflow, the
    >Intel HSF is more than adequate to keep your CPU cool during heavy load
    >if your running in spec.

    ------ Greg Conquest ------
    http://gregconquest.com
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Greg Conquest wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:01:58 GMT, Philip Callan wrote:

    >>3. If your not overclocking (I don't either) the included intel HSF is
    >>nice, but just FYI, unless they have changed it, the 2.8C will come with
    >>a solid aluminum HSF combo, the 3.0C ships with a copper-centered
    >>aluminum HSF design. I prefer the copper core as it pull heat away
    >>better. Both fans are a touch on the noisy side for my tastes, but I
    >>found that a good case (Antec Sonata) reduced my noise levels, without
    >>having to sacrifice any rpm off the fans. Plus the TruePower380W that
    >>ships with it adjusts its own fan if the heat goes over 45C..
    >

    > So you're saying both CPU fans are equally noisy, but the 3.0C fan is
    > more effecient. Hmm . . .

    Actually, odds are the same model fan is installed on the 3.0C's
    Heatsink, its just that with a copper cored HS, it tends to pull more
    heat away, the majority bleeds up the copper core directly under the
    fan, before the fan just assisted airflow around the fins on the
    aluminum, but the heat was concentrated over the core of the CPU, and
    dissipating from there.

    >>And IIRC, they now have a company (acoustipack?? pak?) someone, that
    >>makes a 'kit' for the Antec Sonata, with sound dampening material, you
    >>can make it even quieter.
    >

    > I'll check into this. Antec, CoolerMaster, LianLi, and Windy are the
    > cases I'm considering. Living in Japan, I don't see the same cases
    > that are popular stateside.

    ..ca = Canada :) But I get the drift...

    Oh yeah, and thanks for that mode-3 floppy abomination :) hehehe

    > Thanks again,
    > Greg Conquest
    >

    >>4. If your not overclocking, don't waste the money for aftermarket
    >>HSF's, spend it on a decent 92/120mm case fan to help with airflow, the
    >>Intel HSF is more than adequate to keep your CPU cool during heavy load
    >>if your running in spec.
    >

    > ------ Greg Conquest ------
    > http://gregconquest.com
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:02:49 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
    >Greg Conquest wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
    >> much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
    >> of the various CPU's and their power consumption.
    >
    >http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
    >
    >While you are there, look at the power consumption numbers for AMD
    >processors.

    Thanks JL,

    The two chips seem pretty close to me. I was thinking the AMD
    equivalents were running hotter than most Pentiums. Which chip would
    be close to a P42.80C (800FSB Northwood)? Athlon 64 2800+ (Athlon 64
    (Clawhammer, Newcastle -- Athlon 64-2800+ (S754 - 1.8GHz - 512KB))?

    The AMD chip is 89W and $180 US
    The Intel chip is 69.7 W and $173.

    Hmm. The AMD chip does run considerably hotter. I guess this is about
    what I expected.

    Greg Conquest

    ------ Greg Conquest ------
    http://gregconquest.com
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Greg Conquest wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:02:49 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Greg Conquest wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>>Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
    >>>much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
    >>>of the various CPU's and their power consumption.
    >>
    >>http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
    >>
    >>While you are there, look at the power consumption numbers for AMD
    >>processors.
    >

    > Thanks JL,
    >
    > The two chips seem pretty close to me. I was thinking the AMD
    > equivalents were running hotter than most Pentiums. Which chip would
    > be close to a P42.80C (800FSB Northwood)? Athlon 64 2800+ (Athlon 64
    > (Clawhammer, Newcastle -- Athlon 64-2800+ (S754 - 1.8GHz - 512KB))?
    >
    > The AMD chip is 89W and $180 US
    > The Intel chip is 69.7 W and $173.
    >
    > Hmm. The AMD chip does run considerably hotter. I guess this is about
    > what I expected.

    Brace yourself, JK will now tell you it runs hotter because it costs
    more. Or vice-versa. That will make sense to him, wait for it.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > Greg Conquest wrote:
    > > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:02:49 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Greg Conquest wrote:
    > >
    > > <snip>

    > >>http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
    > >>
    > >>While you are there, look at the power consumption numbers for AMD
    > >>processors.
    > >

    > > Thanks JL,
    > >
    > > The two chips seem pretty close to me. I was thinking the AMD
    > > equivalents were running hotter than most Pentiums. Which chip would
    > > be close to a P42.80C (800FSB Northwood)? Athlon 64 2800+ (Athlon 64
    > > (Clawhammer, Newcastle -- Athlon 64-2800+ (S754 - 1.8GHz - 512KB))?
    > >
    > > The AMD chip is 89W and $180 US
    > > The Intel chip is 69.7 W and $173.
    > >
    > > Hmm. The AMD chip does run considerably hotter. I guess this is about
    > > what I expected.
    >
    > Brace yourself, JK will now tell you it runs hotter because it costs
    > more. Or vice-versa. That will make sense to him, wait for it.

    What is most important is not how hot it runs in absolute terms, but how
    hot it runs relative to its upper range for operating specifications. Also
    keep in mind that a chip that uses less power but has a smaller die
    size might be more prone to overheating, as there is less surface
    area to dissipate the heat. Also keep in mind performance vs power
    consumption. For some games like Doom 3 for example and
    scientific applications , it would take at least a 3.6 ghz P4
    (which is a huge power consumer) to come close to an Athlon 64 3000+.

    > --
    > -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
    > "The secret to procrastination is to put things off until the
    > last possible moment - but no longer" -me
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    the stock is still dipping,....................

    "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

    > Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >
    > > Greg Conquest wrote:

    > > > <snip>

    AMD

    > > > Thanks JL,
    > > >
    > > > The two chips seem pretty close to me. I was thinking the AMD
    > > > equivalents were running hotter than most Pentiums. Which chip
    would
    > > > be close to a P42.80C (800FSB Northwood)? Athlon 64 2800+
    (Athlon 64
    > > > (Clawhammer, Newcastle -- Athlon 64-2800+ (S754 - 1.8GHz -
    512KB))?

    > > > The AMD chip is 89W and $180 US
    > > > The Intel chip is 69.7 W and $173.
    > > >
    > > > Hmm. The AMD chip does run considerably hotter. I guess this is
    about
    > > > what I expected.
    > >
    > > Brace yourself, JK will now tell you it runs hotter because it
    costs
    > > more. Or vice-versa. That will make sense to him, wait for it.
    >
    > What is most important is not how hot it runs in absolute terms, but
    how
    > hot it runs relative to its upper range for operating
    specifications. Also
    > keep in mind that a chip that uses less power but has a smaller die
    > size might be more prone to overheating, as there is less surface
    > area to dissipate the heat. Also keep in mind performance vs power
    > consumption. For some games like Doom 3 for example and
    > scientific applications , it would take at least a 3.6 ghz P4
    > (which is a huge power consumer) to come close to an Athlon 64
    3000+.

    > > --
    > > -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
    > > "The secret to procrastination is to put things off until the
    > > last possible moment - but no longer" -me

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    My aplogies if this message comes through twice.
    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:01:58 GMT, Philip Callan wrote:
    >Greg Conquest wrote:
    <snip>
    >> Regarding CPU's, my impression is that the 3.0 GHz Northwood consumes
    >> much more power than the 2.8 GHz version, but I can't find a listing
    >> of the various CPU's and their power consumption.
    <snip>
    >> Thank you.
    >> Greg Conquest

    >1. The P4P800-E is a nice i865 board, I run the P4C800-E i875 and it
    >kicks ass.
    >
    >2. For Intel processors and power consumption statistics, you can look
    >at Intel's reference page here:
    >
    >> http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm#Specifications

    >The chart you want is at the very bottom, so just PgDown till you get
    >there :)
    >
    >2.8C (Northwood) 69.7 W
    >2.8E (Prescott) 89W
    >3.0C (Northwood) 81.9W
    >3.0E (Prescott) 89W

    Thanks for the link and the explantion, Philip. I had seen that page
    before. The power consumption gradually increases from the 2.40C to
    the 2.60C and the 2.80C, but then there is a big jump to the 3GHZ
    chips, and none of them are called 3.0C. I couldn't figure it out.
    Anyway, you've confirmed my suspicion about the best Northwood
    (800FSB) for me.

    >(The freaking 3.2E/3.4E all pull 100W+ but the 3.4C is only 82W for
    >comparison)
    >
    >3. If your not overclocking (I don't either) the included intel HSF is
    >nice, but just FYI, unless they have changed it, the 2.8C will come with
    >a solid aluminum HSF combo, the 3.0C ships with a copper-centered
    >aluminum HSF design. I prefer the copper core as it pull heat away
    >better. Both fans are a touch on the noisy side for my tastes, but I
    >found that a good case (Antec Sonata) reduced my noise levels, without
    >having to sacrifice any rpm off the fans. Plus the TruePower380W that
    >ships with it adjusts its own fan if the heat goes over 45C..

    So you're saying both CPU fans are equally noisy, but the 3.0C fan is
    more effecient. Hmm . . .

    >And IIRC, they now have a company (acoustipack?? pak?) someone, that
    >makes a 'kit' for the Antec Sonata, with sound dampening material, you
    >can make it even quieter.

    I'll check into this. Antec, CoolerMaster, LianLi, and Windy are the
    cases I'm considering. Living in Japan, I don't see the same cases
    that are popular stateside.

    Thanks again,
    Greg Conquest

    >4. If your not overclocking, don't waste the money for aftermarket
    >HSF's, spend it on a decent 92/120mm case fan to help with airflow, the
    >Intel HSF is more than adequate to keep your CPU cool during heavy load
    >if your running in spec.

    ------ Greg Conquest ------
    http://gregconquest.com
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message

    What a nosebleed. Go away, troll.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:42:21 +0900, Greg Conquest <gregconquest.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks JL,

    Sorry. Thanks JK, not JL.

    Greg

    ------ Greg Conquest ------
    http://gregconquest.com
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > What is most important is not how hot it runs in absolute terms, but how
    > hot it runs relative to its upper range for operating specifications. Also
    > keep in mind that a chip that uses less power but has a smaller die
    > size might be more prone to overheating, as there is less surface
    > area to dissipate the heat. Also keep in mind performance vs power
    > consumption. For some games like Doom 3 for example and
    > scientific applications , it would take at least a 3.6 ghz P4
    > (which is a huge power consumer) to come close to an Athlon 64 3000+.

    Did you ever make it past 3rd grade science?

Asus Motherboards