P4C800-E Deluxe - Intel or Promise RAID?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 15, 2004 7:58:21 PM

Googled for an answer but didn't find anything...

I've got a new P4C800-E deluxe arriving tomorrow and I'd like opinions
on which is better for RAID-0; intel or promise?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2004 7:58:22 PM

> I've got a new P4C800-E deluxe arriving tomorrow and I'd like opinions
> on which is better for RAID-0; intel or promise?

While we're at it, does the Silicon Image RAID controller have any
advantages over the NVIDIA one on the K8N-E? Other than the obvious
four drives instead of two; I don't have four drives.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2004 7:58:22 PM

IMHO, the Intel is superior since it is a part of the Intel South Bridge
chipset whereas the Promise controller runs on the PCI bus (I would disable
the Promise controller in the BIOS).

FWIW, I am running RAID 0 Raptors, two IDE optical drives and a backup PATA
HDD off of the Intel controller and they all work great.

For your consideration: While I am running RAID 0 Raptors with that same
motherboard, I will not utilize them again in RAID 0 when I routinely reload
Windows from scratch in a year, since I do not do much video editing and
recent articles in Maximum PC magazine (October, page 72), Anandtech.com and
Storagereview.com show that after extensive testing that RAID 0 is no
faster, and may actually be slightly slower, for gaming and routine computer
use. Wish I had known that before I set up my RAID system a few months ago.

Good luck,

MikeSp

!