P4C800-E Deluxe - Intel or Promise RAID?

Googled for an answer but didn't find anything...

I've got a new P4C800-E deluxe arriving tomorrow and I'd like opinions
on which is better for RAID-0; intel or promise?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
2 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe intel promise raid

    > I've got a new P4C800-E deluxe arriving tomorrow and I'd like opinions
    > on which is better for RAID-0; intel or promise?

    While we're at it, does the Silicon Image RAID controller have any
    advantages over the NVIDIA one on the K8N-E? Other than the obvious
    four drives instead of two; I don't have four drives.

    IMHO, the Intel is superior since it is a part of the Intel South Bridge
    chipset whereas the Promise controller runs on the PCI bus (I would disable
    the Promise controller in the BIOS).

    FWIW, I am running RAID 0 Raptors, two IDE optical drives and a backup PATA
    HDD off of the Intel controller and they all work great.

    For your consideration: While I am running RAID 0 Raptors with that same
    motherboard, I will not utilize them again in RAID 0 when I routinely reload
    Windows from scratch in a year, since I do not do much video editing and
    recent articles in Maximum PC magazine (October, page 72), Anandtech.com and
    Storagereview.com show that after extensive testing that RAID 0 is no
    faster, and may actually be slightly slower, for gaming and routine computer
    use. Wish I had known that before I set up my RAID system a few months ago.

    Good luck,

    MikeSp
    "Mark" <mark@KNICKERSevilcomputing.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Googled for an answer but didn't find anything...
    >
    > I've got a new P4C800-E deluxe arriving tomorrow and I'd like opinions
    > on which is better for RAID-0; intel or promise?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mark

Asus NAS / RAID Intel Promise Raid Motherboards