KM400 can support Sempron??

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:57:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi..
just want to know what chipset can support Sempron (Socket A)?? so far i
know :

KT600/ KT800
N-Force 2

i need to build a integrated VGA chipset PC.. so an KM400 suppport Sempron??

Thanks...

More about : km400 support sempron

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:57:08 AM

"TORN" <stardreamer77@hotmail.com.123> wrote in message
| Hi..
| just want to know what chipset can support Sempron (Socket A)?? so far i
| know :
|
| KT600/ KT800
| N-Force 2
|
| i need to build a integrated VGA chipset PC.. so an KM400 suppport
Sempron??

| Thanks...

Hi TORN -

Abit's NF7-M supports Sempron processors, provided you've flashed in advance
to the latest BIOS release (NF7_27.bin). The NF7-M is Abit's only nForce2
board with integrated graphics.

I cannot comment on the other chipsets you mention.

Jef
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:57:08 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:57:07 +0800, TORN wrote:

> just want to know what chipset can support Sempron (Socket A)?? so far i
> know :

Any that supports a 166MHz 333FSB.

> KT600/ KT800
> N-Force 2

Any of the above.

> i need to build a integrated VGA chipset PC.. so an KM400 suppport
> Sempron??

Yes, but socket A Semprons are the most expensive cpu's you can buy, They
are underclocked, overrated (number wise compared to XP's by 400), and
overpriced. IOW's, let the ignorant buy them and don't be a fool since
you've been told.:-)

Sempron 2800+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $106
AthlonXP 2400+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $56

Sempron 2200+, ?? core, 1500MHz, $70
AthlonXP 1800+, ?? core, 1533MHz, $48

Todays prices. You be the judge.:-)

The ONLY Sempron that is worth it's price is the 3100+ for socket754 and
that debatable since it does support 64bit code and you can get an A^$
2800+ (which is faster than the Sempron 3100+) for just a few $ more.

Don't be fooled by the name change, difference model numbering, which is
in comparison to Celerons btw, etc.

September 16, 2004 4:57:08 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:57:07 +0800, "TORN" <stardreamer77@hotmail.com.123> wrote:

>Hi..
>just want to know what chipset can support Sempron (Socket A)?? so far i
>know :
>
>KT600/ KT800
>N-Force 2
>
>i need to build a integrated VGA chipset PC.. so an KM400 suppport Sempron??
>
>Thanks...

VIA KM400
VIA KT400
VIA KT400A
VIA KT600
SiS 741GX
SiS 748

Might be more, I'm just going by AMD's page here....
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources...

Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:57:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

> Sempron 2800+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $106
> AthlonXP 2400+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $56
>
> Sempron 2200+, ?? core, 1500MHz, $70
> AthlonXP 1800+, ?? core, 1533MHz, $48

At those prices, I agree that the Athlon XP is a much better buy. Keep
in mind, though, that the Sempron will probably be marginally faster
compared to lower-end T-bred XPs due to its 333MHz FSB (compared to the
XP's 266MHz FSB).

Also, the spread isn't all that wide everywhere--the Sempron 2400+ and
XP 2000+ are only $2 apart on newegg.com.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:57:10 AM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:14:26 -0600, Lachoneus wrote:

>> Sempron 2800+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $106
>> AthlonXP 2400+, Tbred B core, 2000MHz, $56
>>
>> Sempron 2200+, ?? core, 1500MHz, $70
>> AthlonXP 1800+, ?? core, 1533MHz, $48
>
> At those prices, I agree that the Athlon XP is a much better buy. Keep
> in mind, though, that the Sempron will probably be marginally faster
> compared to lower-end T-bred XPs due to its 333MHz FSB (compared to the
> XP's 266MHz FSB).
>
> Also, the spread isn't all that wide everywhere--the Sempron 2400+ and
> XP 2000+ are only $2 apart on newegg.com.

The cheapest Sempron I found was a 2300+ for $59. For $62 you can get a
2600+ Athlon XP Barton core that is faster than all the Semprons. under
the Sempron rating system, it would be rated as a Sempron 3000+. So, would
you buy a Sempron?:-)

a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:57:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

> The cheapest Sempron I found was a 2300+ for $59. For $62 you can get a
> 2600+ Athlon XP Barton core that is faster than all the Semprons. under
> the Sempron rating system, it would be rated as a Sempron 3000+. So, would
> you buy a Sempron?:-)

Probably not, but I have to wonder where you're getting a Barton 2600+
for $62. Given a month or two, the Semprons will trickle down to
flybynightcomputers.com and things will equal out a bit. :)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:57:12 AM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:32:31 -0600, Lachoneus wrote:

>> The cheapest Sempron I found was a 2300+ for $59. For $62 you can get a
>> 2600+ Athlon XP Barton core that is faster than all the Semprons. under
>> the Sempron rating system, it would be rated as a Sempron 3000+. So, would
>> you buy a Sempron?:-)
>
> Probably not, but I have to wonder where you're getting a Barton 2600+
> for $62.

Same place I get all my comparisons, pricewatch.com. that includes
shipping too. From their CPU listing.

$62 - Athlon XP 2600 333

> Given a month or two, the Semprons will trickle down to
> flybynightcomputers.com and things will equal out a bit. :)

Maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 10:27:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"TORN" <stardreamer77@hotmail.com.123> wrote in message
> Hi..
> just want to know what chipset can support Sempron (Socket A)?? so far i
> know :
>
> KT600/ KT800
> N-Force 2
>
> i need to build a integrated VGA chipset PC.. so an KM400 suppport
> Sempron??
>
> Thanks...

The Semprons are just re-badged Athlon XP Thoroughbred core CPU's so any
board that works with the 333FSB T'bred will work with a Sempron. Without
the proper bios is may be recognised as 'Unknown CPU' but that would be all.
PS.... I agree with Wes, right now, while you can still get them, Athlon
XP's are far better value (compare clock speed not 'PR')

a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 8:42:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hey Wes, do you have any websites with benchmarks of xp vs sempron
cpu's of the same "speed" ? Like an Athlon XP 2600 vs a Sempron 2600?
All I've seen is the Sempron vs Celeron info, and Sempron appears to
destroy the celery handily.

-GV
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 9:53:31 PM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:42:33 +0000, GlassVial wrote:

> Hey Wes, do you have any websites with benchmarks of xp vs sempron
> cpu's of the same "speed" ? Like an Athlon XP 2600 vs a Sempron 2600?
> All I've seen is the Sempron vs Celeron info, and Sempron appears to
> destroy the celery handily.
>
> -GV

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=213...

a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 11:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

>http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=213...

Yeah I saw that already, it doesn't really seem to compare
like-for-like, for example they have a 2800 sempron listed but no
athlon 2800 for a side-by-side.

Just thought I'd add I just bought a sempron 2600 and board for under
$100, so I think it's a decent deal. I couldn't have bought a real
athlon xp and board for under $100.

-GV
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 2:20:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, GlassVial ordered an army of hamsters
to type:

> Hey Wes, do you have any websites with benchmarks of xp vs sempron
> cpu's of the same "speed" ? Like an Athlon XP 2600 vs a Sempron 2600?
> All I've seen is the Sempron vs Celeron info, and Sempron appears to
> destroy the celery handily.
>
> -GV

Stop pestering poor Wes.

Its easy to work out the performance of a cpu, forget the stupid names they
are given for a minute.

Lets take your two choices a 2600+ Sempron and AthlonXP (32 Socket A)

The faster the Bus speed the faster the performance and the faster the
total speed the faster the performance (total speed being multiplier
multiplied by the bus speed)

Sempron 2600+ has a bus speed of 166mhz, not 333mhz as a lot of people say.
there is a reason for the 333 but its irrelevent for the time being.

This Sempron speed is 1.83ghz, thats 1830mhz, 1830/166 = 11 which is the
multiplier but its not important, the other two figures are.

Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton) speed is 1.92GHz (1920mhz) but also runs at a bus
speed of 166. Because of the higher total speed of the Athlon it is a
faster cpu.

An Athlon XP 2600+ Throughbred is 2.07ghz but the smaller cache size
hinders performance.

It is also worth noting that Semprons have a debilitating 256k L2 cache
like the Throughbreds and the Bartons have 512k to play with.

If wanted a true 2ghz cpu then another choice is a 2400+ AthlonXP32 but,
its bus speed is 133mhz and because of this it wouldn't be as good
performer as a Sempron 2800+

the 2600+ Sempron however is meant to mean it has a similar performance to
a 2.6Ghz Celeron and a 2600+ AthlonXP is meant to have similer performance
to a 2.6Ghz Pentium4... in practice the performaces maybe different.

All you need is a little information to work out a cpu's performance....
not the stuff a pr department churns out.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 2:23:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Kokoro ordered an army of hamsters
to type:

> In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, GlassVial ordered an army of
> hamsters to type:
>
>> Hey Wes, do you have any websites with benchmarks of xp vs sempron
>> cpu's of the same "speed" ? Like an Athlon XP 2600 vs a Sempron
>> 2600? All I've seen is the Sempron vs Celeron info, and Sempron
>> appears to destroy the celery handily.
>>
>> -GV
>>

> Stop pestering poor Wes.
>
> Its easy to work out the performance of a cpu, forget the stupid names
> they are given for a minute.
>
> Lets take your two choices a 2600+ Sempron and AthlonXP (32 Socket A)
>
> The faster the Bus speed the faster the performance and the faster the
> total speed the faster the performance (total speed being multiplier
> multiplied by the bus speed)
>
> Sempron 2600+ has a bus speed of 166mhz, not 333mhz as a lot of people
> say. there is a reason for the 333 but its irrelevent for the time
> being.
>
> This Sempron speed is 1.83ghz, thats 1830mhz, 1830/166 = 11 which is
> the multiplier but its not important, the other two figures are.
>
> Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton) speed is 1.92GHz (1920mhz) but also runs at a
> bus speed of 166. Because of the higher total speed of the Athlon it
> is a faster cpu.
>
> An Athlon XP 2600+ Throughbred is 2.07ghz but the smaller cache size
> hinders performance.
>
> It is also worth noting that Semprons have a debilitating 256k L2
> cache like the Throughbreds and the Bartons have 512k to play with.
>
> If wanted a true 2ghz cpu then another choice is a 2400+ AthlonXP32
> but, its bus speed is 133mhz and because of this it wouldn't be as
> good performer as a Sempron 2800+
>
> the 2600+ Sempron however is meant to mean it has a similar
> performance to a 2.6Ghz Celeron and a 2600+ AthlonXP is meant to have
> similer performance to a 2.6Ghz Pentium4... in practice the
> performaces maybe different.
>
> All you need is a little information to work out a cpu's
> performance.... not the stuff a pr department churns out.

Does anyone else think there should be a website with information like this
that can be found easily and at a glance?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 8:53:51 AM

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:15:52 +0000, GlassVial wrote:

>>http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=213...
>
> Yeah I saw that already, it doesn't really seem to compare
> like-for-like, for example they have a 2800 sempron listed but no
> athlon 2800 for a side-by-side.
>
> Just thought I'd add I just bought a sempron 2600 and board for under
> $100, so I think it's a decent deal. I couldn't have bought a real
> athlon xp and board for under $100.

Frye's had a MB with a 2500+ the other day for $89. last week they had the
same board with a Sempron 2800+ for $99.:-)
And not long ago they had it with a 2400+ for $79.

I hope you got a board that supports a 200MHz FSB so you can get that
Sempron up to speed.

a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 9:09:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:15:52 +0000, GlassVial wrote:

> Just thought I'd add I just bought a sempron 2600 and board for under
> $100, so I think it's a decent deal. I couldn't have bought a real
> athlon xp and board for under $100.

When you get this installed run cpuid or some such program on it and see
what kind of CPU it reports. If it reports Sempron, then get an older bios
and see what it reports.:-)
or just watch what it reports on post.
Let us all know. (my guess is a 2200+)

a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 5:56:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

>When you get this installed run cpuid or some such program on it and see
>what kind of CPU it reports. If it reports Sempron, then get an older bios
>and see what it reports.:-)
>or just watch what it reports on post.
>Let us all know. (my guess is a 2200+)

No need, THG already has a screen shot of the cpuid, it shows as a
TBred.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040728/sempron-02.htm...

-GV
!