Windows XP Pro.

When I do a scan (go into - my computer, right click on the drive, click on
tools, and tell it to look for and correct errors), does it do a surface
scan. How can I tell if there are any bad sectors on my drive and how do I
mark them as bad?

I had to reformat my drive and reinstall windows because of either corrupt
or damaged windows files and it's suddenly become extremely slow. I want to
make sure the drive is ok before I reinstall all my software.

Can anyone help?

I found where it is. I'm not at my pc now, but I just discovered that it's
in the same screen where I tell it to look for and fix errors.
Thanks.

"Dianah" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Pro.
>
> When I do a scan (go into - my computer, right click on the drive, click
on
> tools, and tell it to look for and correct errors), does it do a surface
> scan. How can I tell if there are any bad sectors on my drive and how do
> mark them as bad?
>
> I had to reformat my drive and reinstall windows because of either corrupt
> or damaged windows files and it's suddenly become extremely slow. I want
> make sure the drive is ok before I reinstall all my software.
>
> Can anyone help?

There are better tools, such as http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
--PA

"Dianah" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:8TKAc.1065$7d2.949@clgrps13...
> Windows XP Pro.
>
> When I do a scan (go into - my computer, right click on the drive, click on
> tools, and tell it to look for and correct errors), does it do a surface
> scan. How can I tell if there are any bad sectors on my drive and how do I
> mark them as bad?
>
> I had to reformat my drive and reinstall windows because of either corrupt
> or damaged windows files and it's suddenly become extremely slow. I want to
> make sure the drive is ok before I reinstall all my software.
>
> Can anyone help?

For a peek at the log.
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
Look in Application | Listed as Information
under Winlogon, Event 1001

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:8TKAc.1065$7d2.949@clgrps13,
Dianah <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Windows XP Pro.
>
> When I do a scan (go into - my computer, right click on the drive,
> click on tools, and tell it to look for and correct errors), does it
> do a surface scan. How can I tell if there are any bad sectors on my
> drive and how do I mark them as bad?
>
> I had to reformat my drive and reinstall windows because of either
> corrupt or damaged windows files and it's suddenly become extremely
> slow. I want to make sure the drive is ok before I reinstall all my
> software.
>
> Can anyone help?

Thanks Wes. I checked it and it seems to be ok - says there were no
problems found. Diana

> For a peek at the log.
> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
> Look in Application | Listed as Information
> under Winlogon, Event 1001
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:8TKAc.1065$7d2.949@clgrps13,
> Dianah <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Windows XP Pro.
> >
> > When I do a scan (go into - my computer, right click on the drive,
> > click on tools, and tell it to look for and correct errors), does it
> > do a surface scan. How can I tell if there are any bad sectors on my
> > drive and how do I mark them as bad?
> >
> > I had to reformat my drive and reinstall windows because of either
> > corrupt or damaged windows files and it's suddenly become extremely
> > slow. I want to make sure the drive is ok before I reinstall all my
> > software.
> >
> > Can anyone help?

You betcha, Diana.
Keep having Fun!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:OgJP2RjVEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
DianaH <nuttin@nowhere.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wes. I checked it and it seems to be ok - says there were no
> problems found. Diana

>> For a peek at the log.
>> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
>> Look in Application | Listed as Information
>> under Winlogon, Event 1001
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:8TKAc.1065$7d2.949@clgrps13,
>> Dianah <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Windows XP Pro.
>>>
>>> When I do a scan (go into - my computer, right click on the drive,
>>> click on tools, and tell it to look for and correct errors), does it
>>> do a surface scan. How can I tell if there are any bad sectors on
>>> my drive and how do I mark them as bad?
>>>
>>> I had to reformat my drive and reinstall windows because of either
>>> corrupt or damaged windows files and it's suddenly become extremely
>>> slow. I want to make sure the drive is ok before I reinstall all my
>>> software.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?

Hi Dianah,

Thanks for posting here.

In fact, Windows XP Help and Support Center also includes many useful
information.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to post
here. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Product Support Services