ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE-info layout needed

Dave_S

I am trying to decide between having a PC built for me using either an
ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mobo or an INTEL D865PERLK mobo.

Can someone please give me a URL providing a very accurate description
of exact contents of the ASUS mobo and what is supplied with the RETAIL
BOXED version?

Is anyone using this mobo with a PRESCOTT Pentium CPU, the one with the
1 MBYTE L2 cache? Any troubles, issues?

Neither of these boards support ATA U133 Hard Drives, both support ATA
U100. Does only ATA U100 seem to slow 7200 RPM 8 MBYTE BUFFERED HArd Drives?

Thank you for any help.

Paul

Splendid

In article <10khvlre3m59f6@corp.supernews.com>, Dave_s
<group78@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I am trying to decide between having a PC built for me using either an
> ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mobo or an INTEL D865PERLK mobo.

The Asus board will allow overclocking. Intel boards generally
don't.

> Can someone please give me a URL providing a very accurate description
> of exact contents of the ASUS mobo and what is supplied with the RETAIL
> BOXED version?

There are two sources of info I can think of. If you look for a
product on the Newegg.com site, they have pictures of the box
contents. The downloadable user's manual contains a manifest
towards the front of the manual (pg.15) -

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4P800-E%20DX/e1526_p4p800-e_deluxe.pdf
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-492&depa=0
(click pictures on the left of the page)

> Is anyone using this mobo with a PRESCOTT Pentium CPU, the one with the
> 1 MBYTE L2 cache? Any troubles, issues?
>
> Neither of these boards support ATA U133 Hard Drives, both support ATA
> U100. Does only ATA U100 seem to slow 7200 RPM 8 MBYTE BUFFERED HArd Drives?

The sustained media (head) data rate is less than U100, so the
difference really isn't that significant. A Raptor manages 70MB
per second (that is a SATA drive) and that is the best non-SCSI
drive I know of. You can make an argument that bursting into
the cache of the drive is significant, but short write bursts
will be interrupted by seeks and the like. Perhaps Storagereview.com
has some words of wisdom for you...

If it bothers you that much, go with a SATA drive. The Raptor
would make a good match for the Southbridge SATA interface, and
that interface connects to the rest of the system via a 266MB/sec
bus. This means the practical PCI bus limit of ~100MB/sec would
not be an issue. A drive with the performance of the Raptor will
make more of a difference than cranking up the cabling. Similarly,
in situations where there is a lot of head movement, the Raptor
will blow away the competition due to the higher rotation rate
(reduces average rotational latency).

> Thank you for any help.

The shop that built my first computer, was careful to give me
the motherboard box, all leftover motherboard parts (cables),
and the box of screws that comes with the case. Your builder
should do the same for you.

Assembling your own really isn't that difficult, but the
advantage of having a shop assemble it, is if they find a
defective component, they can replace it from stock. It would
take you a lot longer to locate the fault and arrange a
replacement, doing the build at home. So, if your time is
valuable, or the deadline to have a working system is short,
a good shop like the now-bankrupt place I used, is the place
to go.

HTH,
Paul

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:44:17 -0700, Dave_s <group78@dslextreme.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to decide between having a PC built for me using either an
>ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mobo or an INTEL D865PERLK mobo.
>
>Can someone please give me a URL providing a very accurate description
>of exact contents of the ASUS mobo and what is supplied with the RETAIL
>BOXED version?
>
>Is anyone using this mobo with a PRESCOTT Pentium CPU, the one with the
>1 MBYTE L2 cache? Any troubles, issues?
>
>Neither of these boards support ATA U133 Hard Drives, both support ATA
>U100. Does only ATA U100 seem to slow 7200 RPM 8 MBYTE BUFFERED HArd Drives?
>
>Thank you for any help.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-e_d/overview.htm
No problem with a Prescott on this board, as long as you use a good
case with plenty of ventiation.

You'll never see the difference between ATA100 and ATA133. If you
really want ATA133, add a controller card like the Promise Ultra 133
TX2. Or, better yet, build the system with SATA drives (ATA150).

Paul wrote:
> In article <10khvlre3m59f6@corp.supernews.com>, Dave_s
> <group78@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>

>>I am trying to decide between having a PC built for me using either an
>>ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mobo or an INTEL D865PERLK mobo.
>

> The Asus board will allow overclocking. Intel boards generally
> don't.

What about good old burn-in mode? 5% is still over :)

On 16-Sep-2004, Dave_s <group78@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I am trying to decide between having a PC built for me using either an
> ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE mobo or an INTEL D865PERLK mobo.
>
> Can someone please give me a URL providing a very accurate description
> of exact contents of the ASUS mobo and what is supplied with the RETAIL
> BOXED version?
>
> Is anyone using this mobo with a PRESCOTT Pentium CPU, the one with the
> 1 MBYTE L2 cache? Any troubles, issues?
>
> Neither of these boards support ATA U133 Hard Drives, both support ATA
> U100. Does only ATA U100 seem to slow 7200 RPM 8 MBYTE BUFFERED HArd
> Drives?
>
> Thank you for any help.

Just put system together using this board a week ago with a 3.2Ghz Prescott
chip.
Make sure that you have at least the 1002 bios if you plan on using XP SP2
with the prescott chip and I have to admit that I am not sure if an upgrade
to SP2 would work or not, but I know if you install a streamlined version it
works like a dream.

The box has:

a mobo (obviously!)
2 Manuals (Quickstart and the big thick one with all the header info in it)
1xFDD Cable
1xCD-Rom IDE cable (40Pin)
2xHDD Cable
Extra USB ports, game port and fire wire slots for a PCI space
Some jumpers
A sticker showing the layout of the board
CDRom with drivers and stuff
WinDVD 5

For a nice case I would suggest the Lian-Li PC-V1000. Plenty of room for HD
and DVD etc, and brilliant for cooling.
The Zalman 7000 series coolers fit on the mobo very well and fits in the
case mentioned above with room to spare.

Have a Raptor in my set up and it is plenty fast enough, I am using a 7200
PATA drive and it is plenty quick enough.

Hope this covers everything

Rik

Http://www.asus.com you can find from there

> Is anyone using this mobo with a PRESCOTT Pentium CPU, the one with the 1
> MBYTE L2 cache? Any troubles, issues?

Yes I have the P4 3.20E 800FSB 1 MB L2 cache and it is running greeat, no
hotter than my
3.06 Northwood I had suprisingly.

> Neither of these boards support ATA U133 Hard Drives, both support ATA
> U100. Does only ATA U100 seem to slow 7200 RPM 8 MBYTE BUFFERED HArd
> Drives?

The Intel side of things only do UDMA 5 but the promise controller supports
UDMA 6 on the Asus board.
Personally I'd take Asus any day over the Intel board, more features and
user has more control in the bios and can overclock the Asus. Just wish
Asus had better communication channels.