James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just completed transferring the guts of a Dell Dim 4400 to a new case and
P4P800SE mb. So far everything is working great but I do have one unknown
device.
www.pcidatabase.com shows this info:

0x24DD Chip Number: 82801EB/ER
Chip Description: USB EHCI Controller
Notes: device #29, function #7

My USB ports all seem to be working OK - though I did have to disable legacy
Auto detect because Windows would not detect hot plugs. Otherwise everything
seems to be OK. I did try to load the supplied USB 2.0 drivers but the setup
disc advised using the SP1 drivers and would not run.
Do I have a major problem here or what?

thanks , james

I think that's an Intel chip -- it might be that their chipset driver,
available on their download site, would drive it properly.

formerprof

"James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Just completed transferring the guts of a Dell Dim 4400 to a new case and
> P4P800SE mb. So far everything is working great but I do have one unknown
> device.
> www.pcidatabase.com shows this info:
>
> 0x24DD Chip Number: 82801EB/ER
> Chip Description: USB EHCI Controller
> Notes: device #29, function #7
>

> My USB ports all seem to be working OK - though I did have to disable
> legacy
> Auto detect because Windows would not detect hot plugs. Otherwise
> everything
> seems to be OK. I did try to load the supplied USB 2.0 drivers but the
> setup
> disc advised using the SP1 drivers and would not run.
> Do I have a major problem here or what?
>
> thanks , james

Len

Looks like your USB 2.0 driver is not installing properly as you mention.
This would become a problem if you are going to add USB devices that require
the higher transfer rate.

If you are not running SP1 then that is certainly an option. At one time
you could also twist and turn your way through the windows update catalog
and find the USB 2.0 drivers that way.

Good Luck,
Len

"James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Just completed transferring the guts of a Dell Dim 4400 to a new case and
> P4P800SE mb. So far everything is working great but I do have one unknown
> device.
> www.pcidatabase.com shows this info:
>
> 0x24DD Chip Number: 82801EB/ER
> Chip Description: USB EHCI Controller
> Notes: device #29, function #7
>

> My USB ports all seem to be working OK - though I did have to disable
> legacy
> Auto detect because Windows would not detect hot plugs. Otherwise
> everything
> seems to be OK. I did try to load the supplied USB 2.0 drivers but the
> setup
> disc advised using the SP1 drivers and would not run.
> Do I have a major problem here or what?
>
> thanks , james

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 05:34:29 -0400, "James" <howa1151@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Just completed transferring the guts of a Dell Dim 4400 to a new case and
>P4P800SE mb. So far everything is working great but I do have one unknown
>device.
>www.pcidatabase.com shows this info:
>
> 0x24DD Chip Number: 82801EB/ER
> Chip Description: USB EHCI Controller
> Notes: device #29, function #7
>

>My USB ports all seem to be working OK - though I did have to disable legacy
>Auto detect because Windows would not detect hot plugs. Otherwise everything
>seems to be OK. I did try to load the supplied USB 2.0 drivers but the setup
>disc advised using the SP1 drivers and would not run.
>Do I have a major problem here or what?
>
>thanks , james

Hi,

I ran into a similar scenario when I installed XP and SP1 on my
P4C800-E Deluxe. My USB controller worked fine wiht USB 1.1 devices,
but USB 2.0 was not functional on all ports. I ended up with the
unknown device message as you have. The SP1 patch did not fix the
issue for me at that time. I ended up heading to the link below for a
specific patch that addresses this issue:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=733dd867-56a0-4956-b7fe-e85b688b7f86&DisplayLang=en

I installed it, the OS then recognized the device fully and I got full
USB 2.0 functions. No more unknown device. I would imagine that SP2
probably handles this correctly, but don't know from first hand
experience.

Good luck,

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke