problem with USB smartmedia reader

I have installed a smart media reader on my USB port.
Windows XP does see the device as SM reader USB devicet
location 0..

Here's what happens. I load a smart media card in the
deice and click on F ( sees it as REMOVABLE DISK F ) It
comes back with disk is unformatted ?????????? And when I
remove my snart media disk my photos on it have been
erased. I can tell becuase when i plug it back into my
camera all my phots are gone....

Any ideas at all? I just bought the camera used, and
the person threw in the reader. He said he used it on his
windows XP system with no problems... The brand is
smartDisk..

Thanks....

"jimm" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have installed a smart media reader on my USB port.
> Windows XP does see the device as SM reader USB devicet
> location 0..
>
> Here's what happens. I load a smart media card in the
> deice and click on F ( sees it as REMOVABLE DISK F ) It
> comes back with disk is unformatted ?????????? And when I
> remove my snart media disk my photos on it have been
> erased. I can tell becuase when i plug it back into my
> camera all my phots are gone....
>
> Any ideas at all? I just bought the camera used, and
> the person threw in the reader. He said he used it on his
> windows XP system with no problems... The brand is
> smartDisk..
>
> Thanks....

If you're taking the media out while the computer is accessing it, that
could cause problems. You should make sure it's stopped, using the safely
remove hardware option.

As to why it's not reading, maybe the reader requires some drivers?