Strange boot behavior K8V

I just bought a brand new Asus k8v with a AMD Athlon 64 3000.

I work in the IT field and never saw such a boot behavior. I was just
wondering if it's normal. When pushing power, my computer starts, showing
the ASUS ugly full screen logo, then, my computer makes a sound like it's
shuting down(like all the power leaves the computer) and then restard
instantly, continuing the boot process. Is this normal behavior? I have an
Enermax 350W PS, is this enough? For accessories, all I have is one IDE WD
60Gb HD, one DVD reader, one CD burner, Sound Blaster audigy 2 ZS and a
Radeon 9700 PRO. That's it. I'm experiencing some stability issues, and
this weird boot up makes me think that's the problem.

Thanks!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:02:30 GMT, "Ai.Learning"
<N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote:

>I just bought a brand new Asus k8v with a AMD Athlon 64 3000.
>
>I work in the IT field and never saw such a boot behavior. I was just
>wondering if it's normal. When pushing power, my computer starts, showing
>the ASUS ugly full screen logo, then, my computer makes a sound like it's
>shuting down(like all the power leaves the computer) and then restard
>instantly, continuing the boot process. Is this normal behavior? I have an
>Enermax 350W PS, is this enough? For accessories, all I have is one IDE WD
>60Gb HD, one DVD reader, one CD burner, Sound Blaster audigy 2 ZS and a
>Radeon 9700 PRO. That's it. I'm experiencing some stability issues, and
>this weird boot up makes me think that's the problem.

I have a 3400+ with the same power supply, similar drives (more of
them) and the same sound card (but an NVIDIA video) and I get a
perfectly normal boot. Sounds like a hardware thing to me, board or
power supply. My system's sturdy as an anvil, it's never burped once.

> I have a 3400+ with the same power supply, similar drives (more of
> them) and the same sound card (but an NVIDIA video) and I get a
> perfectly normal boot. Sounds like a hardware thing to me, board or
> power supply. My system's sturdy as an anvil, it's never burped once.

Ok, thanks!! That's giving me a good pointer. I'll try another video card
just for diag purposes, since that's the only things that differs from me!
I was about to change my Power supply, but since it's doing the job for
you..

Thanks man!

HI,
you can disable "Fast Boot" in Bios Option.
may give your machine bit more time to run up all fans and other
things....??

ati 9700 is hungr too, i dont remember where ...xbitlabs
....anandtech....tomshardware ...where i found an article about power
consumption of actual grafic cards

regards jk

Tim

Pull out the DVD and CD, swap to a simple 2d graphics card if you have one
and see if it improves. If it does then I would be thinking PSU...

- Tim

"Ai.Learning" <N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote in message
>> I have a 3400+ with the same power supply, similar drives (more of
>> them) and the same sound card (but an NVIDIA video) and I get a
>> perfectly normal boot. Sounds like a hardware thing to me, board or
>> power supply. My system's sturdy as an anvil, it's never burped once.
>
> Ok, thanks!! That's giving me a good pointer. I'll try another video card
> just for diag purposes, since that's the only things that differs from me!
> I was about to change my Power supply, but since it's doing the job for
> you..
>
> Thanks man!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:05:43 GMT, "Ai.Learning"
<N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote:

>> I have a 3400+ with the same power supply, similar drives (more of
>> them) and the same sound card (but an NVIDIA video) and I get a
>> perfectly normal boot. Sounds like a hardware thing to me, board or
>> power supply. My system's sturdy as an anvil, it's never burped once.
>
>Ok, thanks!! That's giving me a good pointer. I'll try another video card
>just for diag purposes, since that's the only things that differs from me!
>I was about to change my Power supply, but since it's doing the job for
>you..
I agree with the other guy, your power supply may not have enough
grunt for that video card. I know I'm running pretty close to the
limit on mine. I just happened to get a P.S. with maybe a bit more
than spec output. My video card is only a 128mb Geforce 4 - and it
caused my older P.S. to give up.