Can I use a laptop for computer desktop display?

peterm

I took home a computer case, less the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I need to
take off a few programs. The only monitor I have, is a (600 pound elephant)
:) a very heavy CRT monitor. Could I use my laptop like a monitor? Your
help is appreciated. If the answer is no, could you explain why not if you
don't mind...............Peter

"PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> I took home a computer case, less the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I need
> take off a few programs. The only monitor I have, is a (600 pound
elephant)
> :) a very heavy CRT monitor. Could I use my laptop like a monitor? Your
> help is appreciated. If the answer is no, could you explain why not if you
> don't mind...............Peter

Probably no, because your laptop doesn't have any sort of video *in* port
that you could plug the desktop's video output into.

Do you have a spare keyboard? If you don't have one plugged in at bootup,
you may run into the wonderfully paradoxical message, "no keyboard detected.
press f1 to continue."

Also, if your plan was simply to delete programs, you could have done that
anywhere. If your plan was to transfer installed programs to a different
computer, it's not going to work anyway.

peterm

It makes sense what you said about the input output logic. I guess I was
thinking that there was a cable or a box I could buy to get around this. I
took the computer home, because some programs will not uninstall. One is
Norton system works 2003, or a Norton 2003 AV program. My friends like to
install Norton AV 2004, but it will not install. The error message is that
2003 has to be uninstalled first. Since I don't know any better, and I tried
all over the PC to find an uninstall program, they use Win XP home, and I
tried the Add/Delete programs part, nothings works. Now I purchased them a
program "Win Ultra Cleaner" in hopes that it will help get rid of this
annoyance. They also had many many spy programs, I can't even tell you how
many. So many pop-ups, I would have trashed the computer. So now things look
a little better except for that pop-up of Norton..... Wish me luck, and I
appreciate your help..........Peter

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> > I took home a computer case, less the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I
need
> > take off a few programs. The only monitor I have, is a (600 pound
> elephant)
> > :) a very heavy CRT monitor. Could I use my laptop like a monitor?
Your
> > help is appreciated. If the answer is no, could you explain why not if
you
> > don't mind...............Peter
> >

> Probably no, because your laptop doesn't have any sort of video *in* port
> that you could plug the desktop's video output into.
>
> Do you have a spare keyboard? If you don't have one plugged in at bootup,
> you may run into the wonderfully paradoxical message, "no keyboard
detected.
> press f1 to continue."
>
> Also, if your plan was simply to delete programs, you could have done that
> anywhere. If your plan was to transfer installed programs to a different
> computer, it's not going to work anyway.

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/df0a595864594c86852567ac0063608c/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

"PeterM" wrote:

> It makes sense what you said about the input output logic. I guess I was
> thinking that there was a cable or a box I could buy to get around this. I
> took the computer home, because some programs will not uninstall. One is
> Norton system works 2003, or a Norton 2003 AV program. My friends like to
> install Norton AV 2004, but it will not install. The error message is that
> 2003 has to be uninstalled first. Since I don't know any better, and I tried
> all over the PC to find an uninstall program, they use Win XP home, and I
> tried the Add/Delete programs part, nothings works. Now I purchased them a
> program "Win Ultra Cleaner" in hopes that it will help get rid of this
> annoyance. They also had many many spy programs, I can't even tell you how
> many. So many pop-ups, I would have trashed the computer. So now things look
> a little better except for that pop-up of Norton..... Wish me luck, and I
> appreciate your help..........Peter
>
> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> > > I took home a computer case, less the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I
> need
> > > take off a few programs. The only monitor I have, is a (600 pound
> > elephant)
> > > :) a very heavy CRT monitor. Could I use my laptop like a monitor?
> Your
> > > help is appreciated. If the answer is no, could you explain why not if
> you
> > > don't mind...............Peter
> > >

> > Probably no, because your laptop doesn't have any sort of video *in* port
> > that you could plug the desktop's video output into.
> >
> > Do you have a spare keyboard? If you don't have one plugged in at bootup,
> > you may run into the wonderfully paradoxical message, "no keyboard
> detected.
> > press f1 to continue."
> >
> > Also, if your plan was simply to delete programs, you could have done that
> > anywhere. If your plan was to transfer installed programs to a different
> > computer, it's not going to work anyway.

peterm

Many many thanks Ron, I appreciate you a lot for this. I guess I'm not that
good in finding this type of information on my own, I promise that I was not
lazy, I really tried..............Peter

"Ron Rector" <RonRector@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or earlier by using the
Rnav2003.exe removal utility

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/df0a595864594c86852567ac0063608c/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

> "PeterM" wrote:
>
> > It makes sense what you said about the input output logic. I guess I was
> > thinking that there was a cable or a box I could buy to get around this.
> > took the computer home, because some programs will not uninstall. One is
> > Norton system works 2003, or a Norton 2003 AV program. My friends like
> > install Norton AV 2004, but it will not install. The error message is
that
> > 2003 has to be uninstalled first. Since I don't know any better, and I
tried
> > all over the PC to find an uninstall program, they use Win XP home, and
> > tried the Add/Delete programs part, nothings works. Now I purchased them
> > program "Win Ultra Cleaner" in hopes that it will help get rid of this
> > annoyance. They also had many many spy programs, I can't even tell you
how
> > many. So many pop-ups, I would have trashed the computer. So now things
look
> > a little better except for that pop-up of Norton..... Wish me luck, and
> > appreciate your help..........Peter
> >
> > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org> wrote in message
> > need
> > > elephant)
> > Your
> > you
> > > >

> > > Probably no, because your laptop doesn't have any sort of video *in*
port
> > > that you could plug the desktop's video output into.
> > >
> > > Do you have a spare keyboard? If you don't have one plugged in at
bootup,
> > > you may run into the wonderfully paradoxical message, "no keyboard
> > detected.
> > > press f1 to continue."
> > >
> > > Also, if your plan was simply to delete programs, you could have done
that
> > > anywhere. If your plan was to transfer installed programs to a
different
> > > computer, it's not going to work anyway.

you can use your laptop as a SECOND monitor though with this software:

http://www.computerboom.net/maxivista.htm

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.

---