HELP !! how do i get my harddisk space back??

I installed a program couple of days ago, the size of the
program was 3 Gigabytes.

When i uninstalled it, the local 'c' drive space
should've been 3 GB free, but it remained the same!!

For some reason i didn't get my 3 gigs back, and i
checked in program files to make sure that program wasn't
there.

Can somebody please help me?
Thank you
6 answers Last reply
More about help harddisk space back

    "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I installed a program couple of days ago, the size of the
    | program was 3 Gigabytes.
    |
    | When i uninstalled it, the local 'c' drive space
    | should've been 3 GB free, but it remained the same!!
    |
    | For some reason i didn't get my 3 gigs back, and i
    | checked in program files to make sure that program wasn't
    | there.
    |
    | Can somebody please help me?
    | Thank you

    Hi John -

    System Restore is probably "holding on" to the program in case you try to
    restore to an earlier Restore Point. It will ultimately be purged when the
    Restore Point that it is contained within is ultimately purged... or you can
    manually purge it now.

    To clean it up (though you do lose all but the most recent Restore Point),
    take a manual System Restore Checkpoint (Start | All Programs | System Tools
    | System Restore and click the radio button to take a checkpoint ... give
    the checkpoint a name and click Create ... then click Close). Right-click
    my computer and select the hard drive where the program was installed -
    right-click and select Properties from the menu. Click the Disk Cleanup
    button in the middle of the properties sheet. Disk Cleanup will churn and
    chug for a few moments and present you with a screen of cleanup options.
    Click on the More Options tab and, at the bottom, under "System Recovery"
    click Cleanup. All but the System Restore Checkpoint you just created will
    be purged. While you're at it, look at the original disk cleanup tab and
    review the other options for tidying up your hard drive to recover
    additional space.

    ¡NOTE! Do not perform the above cleanup if you have any inkling that you
    may wish to make use of one of the previously taken Restore Points. They
    will be purged by this procedure!

    Jef

    John wrote:

    > I installed a program couple of days ago, the size of the
    > program was 3 Gigabytes.
    >
    > When i uninstalled it, the local 'c' drive space
    > should've been 3 GB free, but it remained the same!!
    >
    > For some reason i didn't get my 3 gigs back, and i
    > checked in program files to make sure that program wasn't
    > there.
    >
    > Can somebody please help me?
    > Thank you

    Uninstallers commonly fail to remove all of the app. First, try
    emptying the recycle bin. Next, search for the folders that the
    app created and delete them (if you find any, you may need to
    empty the recycle bin again after deleting).

    One of the great failures of Windows (all versions) is that
    install/uninstall was never architected or specified or
    properly tested.

    By the way, defragging will change nothing -- it only rearranges
    files, it does not delete any.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Forgive my asking the obvious, but did you empty your recycle bin?

    --

    "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I installed a program couple of days ago, the size of the
    > program was 3 Gigabytes.
    >
    > When i uninstalled it, the local 'c' drive space
    > should've been 3 GB free, but it remained the same!!
    >
    > For some reason i didn't get my 3 gigs back, and i
    > checked in program files to make sure that program wasn't
    > there.
    >
    > Can somebody please help me?
    > Thank you

    If you're running Norton Antivirus you may also have to "Empty Norton
    Protected Files." Right-click the recycle bin to get to this option.

    -- Mark

    GTS wrote:
    > Forgive my asking the obvious, but did you empty your recycle bin?
    >

    > "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I installed a program couple of days ago, the size of the
    >> program was 3 Gigabytes.
    >>
    >> When i uninstalled it, the local 'c' drive space
    >> should've been 3 GB free, but it remained the same!!
    >>
    >> For some reason i didn't get my 3 gigs back, and i
    >> checked in program files to make sure that program wasn't
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Can somebody please help me?
    >> Thank you

    That space will only be reclaimed and available AFTER you run Defrag.

    "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I installed a program couple of days ago, the size of the
    > program was 3 Gigabytes.
    >
    > When i uninstalled it, the local 'c' drive space
    > should've been 3 GB free, but it remained the same!!
    >
    > For some reason i didn't get my 3 gigs back, and i
    > checked in program files to make sure that program wasn't
    > there.
    >
    > Can somebody please help me?
    > Thank you

    Erh? That's not correct... You are getting the space back directly after the
    files are getting deleted. You don't have to run defrag.

    // Chen

    "Raoul" <noname@noname.net> skrev i meddelandet
    > That space will only be reclaimed and available AFTER you run Defrag.
    >

    > "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I installed a program couple of days ago, the size of the
    > > program was 3 Gigabytes.
    > >
    > > When i uninstalled it, the local 'c' drive space
    > > should've been 3 GB free, but it remained the same!!
    > >
    > > For some reason i didn't get my 3 gigs back, and i
    > > checked in program files to make sure that program wasn't
    > > there.
    > >
    > > Can somebody please help me?
    > > Thank you

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP