can i take off my computer cover and aim a fan towards it ..

caz

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004

in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
towards it to reduce overheating?

Greetings --

Yes, as long as there's no danger of curious little fingers (iow,
children) getting into the open case and poking around.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
> computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
> towards it to reduce overheating?

Greetings --

Overclocking, are we? ;-}

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Al" <al@nospam.com> wrote in message

> You mean like this?
>
> http://jylppy69.riemurasia.net/kuvat/00/cooling.jpg

It all depends on why the computer is getting too hot with
the cover on.

The enclosed case not only serves to confine and direct air
flow inside the case but it traps RFI signals which will
cause interference with your TV and radio and perhaps your
neighbors too. If that happens and the neighbors complain
you could be in trouble with the FCC or the local version of
same.

If you do use a fan, be sure it is properly aimed. The fan
on the heatsink is drawing air in and up through the cooling
fins, if you aim a powerful fan at the CPU it could be
cancelled by the air flow of the two fans.

You can do the same cooling, perhaps better. with some
"housekeeping" inside the case to make sure there are no
dead air pockets or ribbon cables blocking air flow. You
can put a clear plastic sheet over the open case and use
smoke to watch the direction of air-flow, looking for swirls
or dead spots. Those can then be fixed with internal
baffles, repositioning or adding more case fans or adding
slot fans or ducted fans. Intel recommends that the ambient
air temperature be below 40 C (104 F) so your place must be
very hot.

"caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
| computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
| towards it to reduce overheating?

lol the fan isnt that big but thats the basic idea, thanx
guys :)

count on

caz wrote:

> in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
> computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
> towards it to reduce overheating?

That frequently works (I've used it), but:

1. With the covers off, the shields are down; the EMI radiation from
the innards of your PC might interfere with TVs and other stuff in
your house. And, your PC probably violates FCC regulations, but
nobody really cares about that little technicality.

2. The fan might cause cables inside your PC to shake enough to
dislodge. Don't go crazy with high-velocity fans, since modest
air flow is enough. And, pay some attention to aiming the fan
at the hot devices: maybe the CPU chip, maybe the HDs; when I
used a fan, it was to cool the red-hot video card that wouldn't
work without extra cooling.
--
Cheers, Bob

Use to do it alll the time without any problems.

"caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
> computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
> towards it to reduce overheating?

Hi, nice one Al, only the fan is on the wrong side. There is a risk that the
interface with the keyboard gets blown away :)
Chris C
"Al" <al@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
> > computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
> > towards it to reduce overheating?
>
> You mean like this?
>
> http://jylppy69.riemurasia.net/kuvat/00/cooling.jpg

Is the computer bolted to the table?

"Al" <al@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
> > computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
> > towards it to reduce overheating?
>
> You mean like this?
>
> http://jylppy69.riemurasia.net/kuvat/00/cooling.jpg

chen

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

"Cool" :)

// Chen

"Al" <al@nospam.com> skrev i meddelandet

> "caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
> > computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
> > towards it to reduce overheating?
>
> You mean like this?
>
> http://jylppy69.riemurasia.net/kuvat/00/cooling.jpg

One other thing he can do.....replace any ATA ribbon cable with round ones.

> It all depends on why the computer is getting too hot with
> the cover on.
>
> The enclosed case not only serves to confine and direct air
> flow inside the case but it traps RFI signals which will
> cause interference with your TV and radio and perhaps your
> neighbors too. If that happens and the neighbors complain
> you could be in trouble with the FCC or the local version of
> same.
>
> If you do use a fan, be sure it is properly aimed. The fan
> on the heatsink is drawing air in and up through the cooling
> fins, if you aim a powerful fan at the CPU it could be
> cancelled by the air flow of the two fans.
>
> You can do the same cooling, perhaps better. with some
> "housekeeping" inside the case to make sure there are no
> dead air pockets or ribbon cables blocking air flow. You
> can put a clear plastic sheet over the open case and use
> smoke to watch the direction of air-flow, looking for swirls
> or dead spots. Those can then be fixed with internal
> baffles, repositioning or adding more case fans or adding
> slot fans or ducted fans. Intel recommends that the ambient
> air temperature be below 40 C (104 F) so your place must be
> very hot.

> "caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use my
> | computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
> | towards it to reduce overheating?

Very true.

"Raoul" <noname@noname.net> wrote in message
| One other thing he can do.....replace any ATA ribbon cable
with round ones.

in message
| > It all depends on why the computer is getting too hot
with
| > the cover on.
| >
| > The enclosed case not only serves to confine and direct
air
| > flow inside the case but it traps RFI signals which
will
| > cause interference with your TV and radio and perhaps
your
| > neighbors too. If that happens and the neighbors
complain
| > you could be in trouble with the FCC or the local
version of
| > same.
| >
| > If you do use a fan, be sure it is properly aimed. The
fan
| > on the heatsink is drawing air in and up through the
cooling
| > fins, if you aim a powerful fan at the CPU it could be
| > cancelled by the air flow of the two fans.
| >
| > You can do the same cooling, perhaps better. with some
| > "housekeeping" inside the case to make sure there are no
| > dead air pockets or ribbon cables blocking air flow.
You
| > can put a clear plastic sheet over the open case and use
| > smoke to watch the direction of air-flow, looking for
swirls
| > or dead spots. Those can then be fixed with internal
| > baffles, repositioning or adding more case fans or
adding
| > slot fans or ducted fans. Intel recommends that the
ambient
| > air temperature be below 40 C (104 F) so your place must
be
| > very hot.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "caz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > | in the summer my room gets very hot, is it safe to use
my
| > | computer while the cover is off and with a fan aimed
| > | towards it to reduce overheating?

I Love It!

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS