Microcoft Knowledge base Article 298370

I have an Epson 777i running on a new Dell Dimension 4600
with windows XP pro. The new hardware wizard continues to
detect the printer and give error message relating to
port not recognized on every restart. Tried the
resolution suggested in the article listed above(delete
the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\current
controlset\enum\LPTENUM)without success. Delete was not
allowed. Tried several times. Dell has no solutions and
sugested it was a printer specific problem. How can this
be resolved?

From Registry HELP:

[[To take ownership of a registry key
Open Registry Editor.
Click the key you want to take ownership of.
On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
Under Change owner to, click the new owner, and then click OK.
Caution
Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your
computer.
Notes
To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then
click OK.
You can take ownership of a registry key if you are logged on as an
administrator or if you have been specifically assigned the permission to
take ownership of the registry key by the current owner.]]
====

[[To assign permissions to a registry key
Open Registry Editor.
Click the key to which you want to assign permissions.
On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
Assign an access level to the selected key as follows:
To grant the user permission to read the key contents, but not save any
changes made to the file, under Permissions for name, for Read, select the
Allow check box.
To grant the user permission to open, edit, and take ownership of the
selected key, under Permissions for name, for Full Control, select the Allow
check box.
To grant the user special permission in the selected key, click Advanced.
If you are assigning permissions to a subkey and you want the inheritable
permissions assigned to the parent key to apply to the subkey also, select
the Inherit from parents the permission entries that apply to child objects.
Include these with entries explicitly defined here check box.
Caution
Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before
making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your
computer.
Notes
To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then
click OK.
If you own a registry key, you can specify the users and groups that can
open that key. To determine who can open your registry keys, you need to
assign permissions to them. You can add or remove users or groups from those
authorized to access your registry keys at any time.
The Special Permissions check boxes indicate whether custom permissions have
been set for this key, but you cannot set special permissions by clicking
these check boxes. Click Advanced to set special permissions. ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1eacb01c4560b$4d3b2fd0$a101280a@phx.gbl,