Can't see other computer

mjw

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004

WinXP(home) on main computer. Win98 on tablet pc.
Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter (WUSB11 ver.2.6) installed on main
computer.

Wireless network connection (peer-to-peer) says "status: connected" and
"signal strength: excellent".
In network neighborhood it shows the files that are "shared" but does NOT
show the other computer.

(This used to work before I upgraded the main pc to XP. I did not change
settings on the other pc)

Network names are the same, network keys are the same. Data encryption WEP.

What could I be missing?

Greetings MJM,

If any of the computers have the Windows Firewall is enabled, make sure it
is properly configured for file and printer sharing. With Windows Firewall
enabled, go to the Exception tab, and click to check the File and Printer
Sharing checkbox. If you've installed a third party firewall program
(Norton, McAfee, PC-cillin, eTrust, ZoneAlarm, etc), make sure that it's
configured to allow
access on the local area network.

Try testing the network and see if you can access the other computer and
shared resources this way. Try one of the following commands and press
ENTER.

\\computer

\\IP-address

________________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"MJW" <changeable1@trip.net> wrote in message
> WinXP(home) on main computer. Win98 on tablet pc.
> Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter (WUSB11 ver.2.6) installed on main
> computer.
>
> Wireless network connection (peer-to-peer) says "status: connected" and
> "signal strength: excellent".
> In network neighborhood it shows the files that are "shared" but does NOT
> show the other computer.
>
> (This used to work before I upgraded the main pc to XP. I did not change
> settings on the other pc)
>
> Network names are the same, network keys are the same. Data encryption
> WEP.
>
> What could I be missing?

mjw

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004

Windows firewall was already configured for file and printer sharing.
When you say try one of the supplied commands I assume you mean from the Map
Network Drive window.
I did that and got "network path cannot be found".
I don't know what drive letter I should have checked. I tried Z and None
with the same result.

Looking at the Linksys properties box - association tab, it looks as though
windows reset the network key. I can't see what it changed it to since it
just shows dots (so I can't make the same change to the other pc).

Status says I connected with excellent signal strength.
I don't have any idea what to do next.

"Eric Cross [MVP]" <encross@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings MJM,
>
> If any of the computers have the Windows Firewall is enabled, make sure it
> is properly configured for file and printer sharing. With Windows Firewall
> enabled, go to the Exception tab, and click to check the File and Printer
> Sharing checkbox. If you've installed a third party firewall program
> (Norton, McAfee, PC-cillin, eTrust, ZoneAlarm, etc), make sure that it's
> configured to allow
> access on the local area network.
>
> Try testing the network and see if you can access the other computer and
> shared resources this way. Try one of the following commands and press
> ENTER.
>
> \\computer
>
> \\IP-address
>
> ________________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "MJW" <changeable1@trip.net> wrote in message
>> WinXP(home) on main computer. Win98 on tablet pc.
>> Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter (WUSB11 ver.2.6) installed on main
>> computer.
>>
>> Wireless network connection (peer-to-peer) says "status: connected" and
>> "signal strength: excellent".
>> In network neighborhood it shows the files that are "shared" but does NOT
>> show the other computer.
>>
>> (This used to work before I upgraded the main pc to XP. I did not change
>> settings on the other pc)
>>
>> Network names are the same, network keys are the same. Data encryption
>> WEP.
>>
>> What could I be missing?

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey