New motherboard question

I picked up a new video card and it turns out it's
incompatible with my motherboard. I found a new one
compatible with the video card, but before I buy it I'd
like to find out something.

I use Windows XP Professional, version 2002, with Service
Pack 1. I have been told that this version of Windows has
been deliberately designed to completely cease
functioning when the motherboard is upgraded or changed,
absolutely absolutely ***ABSOLUTELY*** forcing a complete
re-install of the operating system.

Is this true? I normally keep CD-R backups of all my data
anyway, but it's good to be prepared for anything and
everything, such as the amount of time it will take to re-
install first Windows XP and then all of my programs and
applications.

Thanks,

--Alan G.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Changing the motherboard will require you to do a repair re-install and
probbaly require you to call Microoft to re-acivtate.

If it's an OEM version then you're screwed.

"Alan G." <nospam@orelse.getit> wrote in message
> I picked up a new video card and it turns out it's
> incompatible with my motherboard. I found a new one
> compatible with the video card, but before I buy it I'd
> like to find out something.
>
> I use Windows XP Professional, version 2002, with Service
> Pack 1. I have been told that this version of Windows has
> been deliberately designed to completely cease
> functioning when the motherboard is upgraded or changed,
> absolutely absolutely ***ABSOLUTELY*** forcing a complete
> re-install of the operating system.
>
> Is this true? I normally keep CD-R backups of all my data
> anyway, but it's good to be prepared for anything and
> everything, such as the amount of time it will take to re-
> install first Windows XP and then all of my programs and
> applications.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Alan G.

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are
not transferable to a new motherboard), unless the new motherboard is
virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least. In a rare number of cases,
a new clean installation may be required.

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm