Asus A7V133 and Windows XP SP2?

Has anyone had Windows SP XP2 on an A7V133 MB?

I upgraded to SP2 recently (on a fresh copy of XP), but the machine never
boot beyond after the Windows XP logo splash screen afterward. But it
worked perfectly with SP1!

Got a few general pointers with my previous post, but they couldn't really
solve the problem.

I am just wondering if anyone has installed SP2 on the same or similar
motherboard (e.g. with the VIA 4-in-1 chipset) successully at all. If so,
please kindly let me know (then I will believe mine should have been damaged
somehow).

Regards,

Patrick

No problems on an A7V133 1.05 with an Athlon XP 1800+ and 512MB of Ram here.
Installed SP2 on august 19.

Patrick Lam wrote:
> Has anyone had Windows SP XP2 on an A7V133 MB?
>
> I upgraded to SP2 recently (on a fresh copy of XP), but the machine never
> boot beyond after the Windows XP logo splash screen afterward. But it
> worked perfectly with SP1!
>
> Got a few general pointers with my previous post, but they couldn't really
> solve the problem.
>
> I am just wondering if anyone has installed SP2 on the same or similar
> motherboard (e.g. with the VIA 4-in-1 chipset) successully at all. If so,
> please kindly let me know (then I will believe mine should have been damaged
> somehow).
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick

Eric,

Thanks very much.

What is the "1.05" in your description? Is it the motherboard version or
the BIOS version?

I am not sure how I can check the MB version, but my BIOS is 1009. Also, I
am using Duron 800MHz.

Anyone heard of compatibility problem of Duron and SP2?

I really hope that it's not the problem on the MB, because switching it
means I have to give up 1G of SDRAM ... :(

Patrick

"Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message
> No problems on an A7V133 1.05 with an Athlon XP 1800+ and 512MB of Ram
> here.
> Installed SP2 on august 19.
>
> Patrick Lam wrote:
>> Has anyone had Windows SP XP2 on an A7V133 MB?
>>
>> I upgraded to SP2 recently (on a fresh copy of XP), but the machine never
>> boot beyond after the Windows XP logo splash screen afterward. But it
>> worked perfectly with SP1!
>>
>> Got a few general pointers with my previous post, but they couldn't
>> really solve the problem.
>>
>> I am just wondering if anyone has installed SP2 on the same or similar
>> motherboard (e.g. with the VIA 4-in-1 chipset) successully at all. If
>> so, please kindly let me know (then I will believe mine should have been
>> damaged somehow).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Patrick

Yes, the 1.05 is the version number you can find between the last two
PCI slots, maybe it's also mentioned on the carton the A7V133 came in.
I use Bios 1010 Beta 001-B since february 2003.
This Bios also supports 48-bit LBA if you need that.

A7V133 Beta BIOS 1010.01B 1010AVU01B.zip
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V133&Type=BIOS

I haven't heard about any problem between SP2 an Duron or A7V133.
Can you start into Dos from a regular (Windows or Dos) startup floppy.
If yes you could maybe do a repair install of Windows XP.
If that doesn't help I would disconnect/remove all hardware not needed
for booting temporarily to investigate the problem.

Patrick Lam wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> What is the "1.05" in your description? Is it the motherboard version or
> the BIOS version?
>
> I am not sure how I can check the MB version, but my BIOS is 1009. Also, I
> am using Duron 800MHz.
>
> Anyone heard of compatibility problem of Duron and SP2?
>
> I really hope that it's not the problem on the MB, because switching it
> means I have to give up 1G of SDRAM ... :(
>
> Patrick
>
> "Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message
>
>>No problems on an A7V133 1.05 with an Athlon XP 1800+ and 512MB of Ram
>>here.
>>Installed SP2 on august 19.
>>
>>Patrick Lam wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone had Windows SP XP2 on an A7V133 MB?
>>>
>>>I upgraded to SP2 recently (on a fresh copy of XP), but the machine never
>>>boot beyond after the Windows XP logo splash screen afterward. But it
>>>worked perfectly with SP1!
>>>
>>>Got a few general pointers with my previous post, but they couldn't
>>>really solve the problem.
>>>
>>>I am just wondering if anyone has installed SP2 on the same or similar
>>>motherboard (e.g. with the VIA 4-in-1 chipset) successully at all. If
>>>so, please kindly let me know (then I will believe mine should have been
>>>damaged somehow).
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Patrick

No problems at all with A7V133 Bios 1010.01B, I'm using it for over 1.5
years now.
This Bios came quite late when newer motherboards where more important.
I noted that, also with other motherboards, such a late Bios revision
keeps it's Beta status forever.

Matt wrote:

> Any probs with the beta bios on this board? If it works, why is it still in
> beta? I am thinking of trying that bios on my A7V133 1.05
>

> "Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message
>
>>Yes, the 1.05 is the version number you can find between the last two PCI
>>slots, maybe it's also mentioned on the carton the A7V133 came in.
>>I use Bios 1010 Beta 001-B since february 2003.
>>This Bios also supports 48-bit LBA if you need that.
>>
>>A7V133 Beta BIOS 1010.01B 1010AVU01B.zip
>>http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V133&Type=BIOS
>>
>>I haven't heard about any problem between SP2 an Duron or A7V133.
>>Can you start into Dos from a regular (Windows or Dos) startup floppy.
>>If yes you could maybe do a repair install of Windows XP.
>>If that doesn't help I would disconnect/remove all hardware not needed for
>>booting temporarily to investigate the problem.
>>
>>Patrick Lam wrote:
>>
>>>Eric,
>>>
>>>Thanks very much.
>>>
>>>What is the "1.05" in your description? Is it the motherboard version or
>>>the BIOS version?
>>>
>>>I am not sure how I can check the MB version, but my BIOS is 1009. Also,
>>>I am using Duron 800MHz.
>>>
>>>Anyone heard of compatibility problem of Duron and SP2?
>>>
>>>I really hope that it's not the problem on the MB, because switching it
>>>means I have to give up 1G of SDRAM ... :(
>>>
>>>Patrick
>>>
>>>"Eric P." <Eric.P@discussions.inter.nl.net> wrote in message

She will be surprised when you have transformed it into a doorstop.