wl-130g PCI wireless card

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

One question.

I do not need the wireless card supplied with my A8V.

My friend wants to have it. Does this card work in a PC without a Asus
motherboard?

Frank

"Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
> One question.
>
> I do not need the wireless card supplied with my A8V.
>
> My friend wants to have it. Does this card work in a PC without a Asus
> motherboard?
>
> Frank

If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
no..
You could probably sell it on ebay.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
> no..
> You could probably sell it on ebay.

And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the manual it
says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
about put it in slot 1 2 or three.

It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI

Frank wrote:
>>If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
>>no..
>>You could probably sell it on ebay.
>>

> And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the manual it
> says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
> about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
>
> It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI

On certain ASUS motherboards, there is a AMR-like interface, which is
used along with a specific ASUS brand card/external antenna, permitting
you to not only access a WiFi network, but act as an AP for others.

You can't use it in other motherboards, and you can't use PCI slot 5 on
the motherboards that have it if you are using the proprietary card.

Paul

Splendid

In article <7sG2d.436952$M95.233881@pd7tw1no>, Philip Callan
<callanca@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Frank wrote:
> >>If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
> >>no..
> >>You could probably sell it on ebay.
> >>

> > And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the
manual it
> > says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
> > about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
> >
> > It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI
> >

> On certain ASUS motherboards, there is a AMR-like interface, which is
> used along with a specific ASUS brand card/external antenna, permitting
> you to not only access a WiFi network, but act as an AP for others.
>
> You can't use it in other motherboards, and you can't use PCI slot 5 on
> the motherboards that have it if you are using the proprietary card.

There is a picture here. It looks like a PCI edge card.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Asus+A8V+motherboard+preview&Series=0

Uses one of the Ralinktech chipsets. The MAC chip RT2560F has
PCI and Cardbus options.

http://www.ralinktech.com/prod-2.htm

Slap it into a PCI slot and try it.

Paul

> > If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer
is
> > no..
> > You could probably sell it on ebay.
> >

> And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the manual
it
> says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
> about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
>
> It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI

I'd say give it to ur pal and let him try it then.. :)
I dont know any of their version numbers.. but if it goes into a pci slot
(and if you can use any slot) then I would assue (bad thing sometimes) that
it's safe to go into any slot, granted it might not work, but it shoudl be
safe.

Paul wrote:
> In article <7sG2d.436952$M95.233881@pd7tw1no>, Philip Callan
> <callanca@shaw.ca> wrote:

>>>And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the
>
> manual it
>
>>>says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
>>>about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
>>>
>>>It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI
>>>

>>On certain ASUS motherboards, there is a AMR-like interface, which is
>>used along with a specific ASUS brand card/external antenna, permitting
>>you to not only access a WiFi network, but act as an AP for others.
>>
>>You can't use it in other motherboards, and you can't use PCI slot 5 on
>>the motherboards that have it if you are using the proprietary card.
>

> There is a picture here. It looks like a PCI edge card.
> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Asus+A8V+motherboard+preview&Series=0
>
> Uses one of the Ralinktech chipsets. The MAC chip RT2560F has
> PCI and Cardbus options.
>
> http://www.ralinktech.com/prod-2.htm
>
> Slap it into a PCI slot and try it.
>
> Paul

Thats not the same as the WiFI slot in my P4C800-E, its a weird connector.