wl-130g PCI wireless card

One question.

I do not need the wireless card supplied with my A8V.

My friend wants to have it. Does this card work in a PC without a Asus
motherboard?

Frank
8 answers Last reply
More about 130g wireless card

    "Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
    > One question.
    >
    > I do not need the wireless card supplied with my A8V.
    >
    > My friend wants to have it. Does this card work in a PC without a Asus
    > motherboard?
    >
    > Frank

    If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
    no..
    You could probably sell it on ebay.

    I´m asking this because the card cannot be found anywhere on the net and the
    manual says you nee a asus board

    > If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
    > no..
    > You could probably sell it on ebay.

    And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the manual it
    says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
    about put it in slot 1 2 or three.

    It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI

    Frank wrote:
    >>If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
    >>no..
    >>You could probably sell it on ebay.
    >>

    > And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the manual it
    > says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
    > about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
    >
    > It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI

    On certain ASUS motherboards, there is a AMR-like interface, which is
    used along with a specific ASUS brand card/external antenna, permitting
    you to not only access a WiFi network, but act as an AP for others.

    You can't use it in other motherboards, and you can't use PCI slot 5 on
    the motherboards that have it if you are using the proprietary card.

    In article <7sG2d.436952$M95.233881@pd7tw1no>, Philip Callan
    <callanca@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > Frank wrote:
    > >>If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer is
    > >>no..
    > >>You could probably sell it on ebay.
    > >>

    > > And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the
    manual it
    > > says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
    > > about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
    > >
    > > It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI
    > >

    > On certain ASUS motherboards, there is a AMR-like interface, which is
    > used along with a specific ASUS brand card/external antenna, permitting
    > you to not only access a WiFi network, but act as an AP for others.
    >
    > You can't use it in other motherboards, and you can't use PCI slot 5 on
    > the motherboards that have it if you are using the proprietary card.

    There is a picture here. It looks like a PCI edge card.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Asus+A8V+motherboard+preview&Series=0

    Uses one of the Ralinktech chipsets. The MAC chip RT2560F has
    PCI and Cardbus options.

    http://www.ralinktech.com/prod-2.htm

    Slap it into a PCI slot and try it.

    Paul

    > > If this is the one that goes into the special asus slot then the answer
    is
    > > no..
    > > You could probably sell it on ebay.
    > >

    > And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the manual
    it
    > says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
    > about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
    >
    > It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI

    I'd say give it to ur pal and let him try it then.. :)
    I dont know any of their version numbers.. but if it goes into a pci slot
    (and if you can use any slot) then I would assue (bad thing sometimes) that
    it's safe to go into any slot, granted it might not work, but it shoudl be
    safe.

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <7sG2d.436952$M95.233881@pd7tw1no>, Philip Callan
    > <callanca@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >>>And what is the special asus slot? It is a normal PCI card. In the
    >
    > manual it
    >
    >>>says remove the bracket on the pci slot you INTEND to use. It says nothing
    >>>about put it in slot 1 2 or three.
    >>>
    >>>It is not a small AMR or what card, normal PCI
    >>>

    >>On certain ASUS motherboards, there is a AMR-like interface, which is
    >>used along with a specific ASUS brand card/external antenna, permitting
    >>you to not only access a WiFi network, but act as an AP for others.
    >>
    >>You can't use it in other motherboards, and you can't use PCI slot 5 on
    >>the motherboards that have it if you are using the proprietary card.
    >

    > There is a picture here. It looks like a PCI edge card.
    > http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=Asus+A8V+motherboard+preview&Series=0
    >
    > Uses one of the Ralinktech chipsets. The MAC chip RT2560F has
    > PCI and Cardbus options.
    >
    > http://www.ralinktech.com/prod-2.htm
    >
    > Slap it into a PCI slot and try it.
    >
    > Paul

    Thats not the same as the WiFI slot in my P4C800-E, its a weird connector.
  8. I have another problem: how to increase the transmitting power of WL-130g?

Asus Wireless PCI Motherboards