Put hard drive into different laptop; now Windows XP won't..

June 19, 2004 7:11:23 PM

I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
ideas?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 1:09:29 PM

Greetings --

What do you mean by "almost identical?"

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard), unless the
new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE
controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
> identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
> drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
> out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
> POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
> drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
> CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
> someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
> now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
> ideas?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 1:56:39 PM

"JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
> identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
> drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
> out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
> POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
> drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
> CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
> someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
> now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
> ideas?

WinXP (and Win2000!) is "married" to the hardware it's
installed on. Check this link if you wish to run it on
different hardware:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 20, 2004 11:50:40 PM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:56:39 +1000, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
wrote:

>"JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
>> identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
>> drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
>> out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
>> POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
>> drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
>> CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
>> someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
>> now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
>> ideas?
>
>WinXP (and Win2000!) is "married" to the hardware it's
>installed on. Check this link if you wish to run it on
>different hardware:
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

Only if it's an OEM version of the software...and the OP didn't make
it clear if it's OEM or not.

More likely the case is that the "nearly identical" laptop is not as
nearly identical as he/she thinks. Laptops/notebooks are very
propietary and moving the HD from one to another without doing a
repair install is a recipe for disaster.
!