Put hard drive into different laptop; now Windows XP won't..

I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about hard drive laptop windows

    Greetings --

    What do you mean by "almost identical?"

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard), unless the
    new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE
    controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
    > identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
    > drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
    > out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
    > POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
    > drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
    > CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
    > someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
    > now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
    > ideas?

    "JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
    > identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
    > drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
    > out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
    > POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
    > drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
    > CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
    > someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
    > now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
    > ideas?

    WinXP (and Win2000!) is "married" to the hardware it's
    installed on. Check this link if you wish to run it on
    different hardware:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:56:39 +1000, "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com>
    wrote:

    >"JR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I put a hard drive with Windows XP into an almost
    >> identical laptop and now Windows will not boot. The hard
    >> drive still boots fine in the old laptop (I took it back
    >> out to check). However, on the new one, it goes through
    >> POST, then I get a blinking cursor. I know that the hard
    >> drive is recognized. I've tried doing repair and
    >> CHKDISK /R and nothing seems to be working. This is for
    >> someone else and reinstalling XP is not an option right
    >> now. I know that XP has issues with "new" hardware. Any
    >> ideas?
    >
    >WinXP (and Win2000!) is "married" to the hardware it's
    >installed on. Check this link if you wish to run it on
    >different hardware:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    Only if it's an OEM version of the software...and the OP didn't make
    it clear if it's OEM or not.

    More likely the case is that the "nearly identical" laptop is not as
    nearly identical as he/she thinks. Laptops/notebooks are very
    propietary and moving the HD from one to another without doing a
    repair install is a recipe for disaster.

Laptops Hard Drives Windows XP