Can't hold a connection?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 30, 2004 7:21:03 PM

Hi I have been having problems with my computer disconecting from my wireless
network and I know little about computers let alone networking. I have tried
a few things sujjested to me in an earliear post. Disabling WZC, updated
driver which will work with SP2 and I have also installed Boingo which came
with the wireless card. When I first diasabled WZC and aand installed an
updatred drive the connection worked fine. However after a day it started to
discconect again with WZC still disabled. After a system restore and
reinstalling the driver it worked fine again untill the next day when it
started to disconect again. I have looked at the properties of the wirless
card on device manager and have noticed the properties under the advanced
tab. I have an option to choose the network type either infrastructure or
802.11 Ad-hoc. It is set to infrastructure by default. When set to infra
structure the netgear driver shows a weak connection. I changed the network
type to 802.11 Ad-hoc after reading the user manual. This gave me a strong
signal and connection with the netgear driver, however the windows wireless
would no longer connect or detect to the network and the driver does not
configure the IP address of my computer and gives it a default of 0.0.0.0.

I am clueless (as usual although am doing my best to learn)

Cheers Screamer

More about : hold connection

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2004 9:21:03 PM

Hi Screamer, your problem seems to be that the card is not "renewing" the ip.
Renewing the ip means something like refreshing and getting a new ip, what it
concerns me is that yuor computer may have an "static" ip (little knowledge
about wi-fi) and you just overwrote the settings. Try restoring and then call
the tech support of your isp just to check if the infrastucture is set
correctly.