Sempron or Athlon XP? If U Had to Choose...

The local computer store has been selling cpu/board bundles with either
a retail boxed 2.8 Athlon XP or 2.8 Sempron for $100. I don't really
know anything about this new Sempron CPU -- is it better than the Athlon
XP or is it a stripped down version? If you had to choose, which is the
better CPU?
7 answers Last reply
More about sempron athlon choose

    pbloc233 wrote:
    > The local computer store has been selling cpu/board bundles with either
    > a retail boxed 2.8 Athlon XP or 2.8 Sempron for $100. I don't really
    > know anything about this new Sempron CPU -- is it better than the Athlon
    > XP or is it a stripped down version? If you had to choose, which is the
    > better CPU?

    Get the Athlon XP. Sempron's are not worth the money - a Sempron 2800 is
    slightly slower than a Athlon XP 2800. For some odd reason, the Semprons
    actually cost a bit more than comparable Athlon XPs, even though they
    are considered to be the budget cpu (the only exception is the Sempron
    3100+ which is socket 754 and doesn't compare easily to other Athlon cpus).
    That said though, Athlon XPs are probably soon history.

    Roland

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:53:05 +0200, Roland Scheidegger <rscheidegger@gmx.ch> wrote:

    >pbloc233 wrote:
    >> The local computer store has been selling cpu/board bundles with either
    >> a retail boxed 2.8 Athlon XP or 2.8 Sempron for $100. I don't really
    >> know anything about this new Sempron CPU -- is it better than the Athlon
    >> XP or is it a stripped down version? If you had to choose, which is the
    >> better CPU?
    >
    >Get the Athlon XP. Sempron's are not worth the money - a Sempron 2800 is
    >slightly slower than a Athlon XP 2800. For some odd reason, the Semprons
    >actually cost a bit more than comparable Athlon XPs, even though they
    >are considered to be the budget cpu (the only exception is the Sempron
    >3100+ which is socket 754 and doesn't compare easily to other Athlon cpus).
    >That said though, Athlon XPs are probably soon history.
    >
    >Roland

    semptron socket a are just a mix-up between the athlon 64 and the athlon xp the difference between
    the 2 is that the semptron don't have the specific code witch made the 64bits vr.

    Plus the semptron don't have the 512k l2 cache. so it reduce the over all potential to a duron
    performance.

    But again we don have any winxp that use 64bit process so the semptron might be under estimated.

    > But again we don have any winxp that use 64bit process so the semptron might be under estimated.

    No Sempron, not even the S754 3100+, supports 64-bit code.

    If you're shopping for a cheap CPU, get an Athlon XP Barton while you
    still can.

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:22:37 -0600, Lachoneus <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote:

    >> But again we don have any winxp that use 64bit process so the semptron might be under estimated.
    >
    >No Sempron, not even the S754 3100+, supports 64-bit code.
    >
    >If you're shopping for a cheap CPU, get an Athlon XP Barton while you
    >still can.

    just curious
    how many instruction the Barton core support in 3dnow

    copy/paste...
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31805.pdf
    this is for the sse2 support for the semptron

    there is some program to download here for AMD CPU Information Display Utility and what ever...
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_2364,00.html

    Plus in that page there is a program that change the voltage and MHz of the CPU for more
    performance... I will test that he uh....

    any way it would be something if you could find the numbers of instruction that are build in the
    Barton core for the 3dnow...

    The AMD Semptron™ processor’s advanced architectural features help ensure best-in-class performance
    and full-featured capability. These features include:
    HyperTransport technology
    Up to 512K total high-performance, full-speed cache
    Advanced 333MHz front-side bus
    3DNow! Professional technology (72 instructions, full SSE compatibility)
    Integrated DDR memory controller on certain models

    > just curious
    > how many instruction the Barton core support in 3dnow

    The SocketA versions support SSE, just like the Athlon XP (they _are_
    Athlon XPs). The K8-based Semprons (currently just the 3100+) support
    SSE2, like the Athlon 64s.

    I don't think anything has happened to 3DNow! since the K6 days. AMD
    CPUs still support it, Intel's never did, and not much software
    optimizes for it (maybe a video driver or two). But just to confuse
    things a bit, I think AMD's implementation of SSE was named "3DNow
    Professional", kind of like how Intel's implementation of AMD64 was
    named "EMT64".

    "pbloc233" <pbloc233@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The local computer store has been selling cpu/board bundles with either a
    > retail boxed 2.8 Athlon XP or 2.8 Sempron for $100. I don't really know
    > anything about this new Sempron CPU -- is it better than the Athlon XP or
    > is it a stripped down version? If you had to choose, which is the better
    > CPU?

    Get the Athlon. The Sempron 2800+ is slower than a Athlon XP2600+

    Sempron is the new "Duron" line. It is more like the older Thoroughbred XP
    core with 333FSB.

    But is is a value AMD CPU, so slower then newer XP Athlons.

    "pbloc233" <pbloc233@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The local computer store has been selling cpu/board bundles with either a
    > retail boxed 2.8 Athlon XP or 2.8 Sempron for $100. I don't really know
    > anything about this new Sempron CPU -- is it better than the Athlon XP or
    > is it a stripped down version? If you had to choose, which is the better
    > CPU?

Asus Sempron CPUs Windows XP Motherboards