A7N8X-E De Bios Upgrade Woes

I've been trying to upgrade my bios to the latest version 1012-e but
am having problems. To begin, using an NTFS based HD, how could you
even think of saving the BIOS anywhere if you are booting up with
DOS/early Windows? None of those OS will read the NTFS partitions.

Second and more important, I can't seem to get past that first backup
screen. I get prompted after I say "no" to back up the bios with "do
you want to program" and then I answer "yes" but it just hangs there
and does nothing, requiring me to reset. Has anyone had this problem?
Should I upgrade to 1012-E? I'm primarily doing so because installing
WIndows SP-1a has wreaked havoc on the multimedia center for my ATI
All In Wonder video card and I'm getting crashes launching the TV with
a blank screen or muxed screen. I've done everything and nothing seems
to work. Help is appreciated....

MJ
13 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x bios upgrade woes

    OK, more issues. I think I backed up my current bios by swapping the
    floppy disk but then I get a "file not found" error or something like
    that. I have the same problem if I try to use awdflash booting up and
    hitting alt-f2 because it won't find a floppy where the file is
    located. How on earth do you upgrade the bios on this thing? It does
    NOT work like the asus web site instructions say it should.

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:05:33 -0400, fbionyourtail
    <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote:

    >I've been trying to upgrade my bios to the latest version 1012-e but
    >am having problems. To begin, using an NTFS based HD, how could you
    >even think of saving the BIOS anywhere if you are booting up with
    >DOS/early Windows? None of those OS will read the NTFS partitions.
    >
    >Second and more important, I can't seem to get past that first backup
    >screen. I get prompted after I say "no" to back up the bios with "do
    >you want to program" and then I answer "yes" but it just hangs there
    >and does nothing, requiring me to reset. Has anyone had this problem?
    >Should I upgrade to 1012-E? I'm primarily doing so because installing
    >WIndows SP-1a has wreaked havoc on the multimedia center for my ATI
    >All In Wonder video card and I'm getting crashes launching the TV with
    >a blank screen or muxed screen. I've done everything and nothing seems
    >to work. Help is appreciated....
    >
    >MJ

    OK - The problem with everyone having awdflash is that you cannot use
    windows or any variety to create the dos disk. I downloaded a dos 6.2
    imager and that worked fine after stripping off all the extra. Problem
    now is that 1012-e is giving me an error "unknown flash type." Say
    what? This is the bios from the asus site for the a7n8x-e deluxe,
    which i own!

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:32:56 -0400, fbionyourtail
    <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote:

    >OK, more issues. I think I backed up my current bios by swapping the
    >floppy disk but then I get a "file not found" error or something like
    >that. I have the same problem if I try to use awdflash booting up and
    >hitting alt-f2 because it won't find a floppy where the file is
    >located. How on earth do you upgrade the bios on this thing? It does
    >NOT work like the asus web site instructions say it should.
    >
    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:05:33 -0400, fbionyourtail
    ><fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I've been trying to upgrade my bios to the latest version 1012-e but
    >>am having problems. To begin, using an NTFS based HD, how could you
    >>even think of saving the BIOS anywhere if you are booting up with
    >>DOS/early Windows? None of those OS will read the NTFS partitions.
    >>
    >>Second and more important, I can't seem to get past that first backup
    >>screen. I get prompted after I say "no" to back up the bios with "do
    >>you want to program" and then I answer "yes" but it just hangs there
    >>and does nothing, requiring me to reset. Has anyone had this problem?
    >>Should I upgrade to 1012-E? I'm primarily doing so because installing
    >>WIndows SP-1a has wreaked havoc on the multimedia center for my ATI
    >>All In Wonder video card and I'm getting crashes launching the TV with
    >>a blank screen or muxed screen. I've done everything and nothing seems
    >>to work. Help is appreciated....
    >>
    >>MJ

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:05:19 -0400, fbionyourtail
    wrote:

    > OK - The problem with everyone having awdflash is that you cannot use
    > windows or any variety to create the dos disk. I downloaded a dos 6.2
    > imager and that worked fine after stripping off all the extra. Problem
    > now is that 1012-e is giving me an error "unknown flash type." Say
    > what? This is the bios from the asus site for the a7n8x-e deluxe,
    > which i own!

    As you discovered, you need just a plain DOS disk. I've found that I
    can create one from XP by just typing format a: /s at the command
    prompt. You'll get a basic bootable DOS floppy that way.

    This floppy doesn't need to read NTFS... it's not writing or reading
    anything to the hard-drive. I'd recommend saying yes to backing up the
    BIOS before flashing it, just in case something goes wrong. However,
    you do have to be sure there's enough room on the floppy for the old
    BIOS file (somewhere around 512K). What I do is put the flash and bios
    on a separately formatted (non-bootable) disk, and just swap at the
    A:\ prompt to do the flash.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:35:41 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com>
    wrote:

    >Sometime on, or about Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:05:19 -0400, fbionyourtail
    >wrote:
    >
    >> OK - The problem with everyone having awdflash is that you cannot use
    >> windows or any variety to create the dos disk. I downloaded a dos 6.2
    >> imager and that worked fine after stripping off all the extra. Problem
    >> now is that 1012-e is giving me an error "unknown flash type." Say
    >> what? This is the bios from the asus site for the a7n8x-e deluxe,
    >> which i own!
    >
    >As you discovered, you need just a plain DOS disk. I've found that I
    >can create one from XP by just typing format a: /s at the command
    >prompt. You'll get a basic bootable DOS floppy that way.
    >
    >This floppy doesn't need to read NTFS... it's not writing or reading
    >anything to the hard-drive. I'd recommend saying yes to backing up the
    >BIOS before flashing it, just in case something goes wrong. However,
    >you do have to be sure there's enough room on the floppy for the old
    >BIOS file (somewhere around 512K). What I do is put the flash and bios
    >on a separately formatted (non-bootable) disk, and just swap at the
    >A:\ prompt to do the flash.
    >
    >Sam

    Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    the bios...

    BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    card...

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:00:42 -0400, fbionyourtail
    <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:35:41 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Sometime on, or about Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:05:19 -0400, fbionyourtail
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK - The problem with everyone having awdflash is that you cannot use
    >>> windows or any variety to create the dos disk. I downloaded a dos 6.2
    >>> imager and that worked fine after stripping off all the extra. Problem
    >>> now is that 1012-e is giving me an error "unknown flash type." Say
    >>> what? This is the bios from the asus site for the a7n8x-e deluxe,
    >>> which i own!
    >>
    >>As you discovered, you need just a plain DOS disk. I've found that I
    >>can create one from XP by just typing format a: /s at the command
    >>prompt. You'll get a basic bootable DOS floppy that way.
    >>
    >>This floppy doesn't need to read NTFS... it's not writing or reading
    >>anything to the hard-drive. I'd recommend saying yes to backing up the
    >>BIOS before flashing it, just in case something goes wrong. However,
    >>you do have to be sure there's enough room on the floppy for the old
    >>BIOS file (somewhere around 512K). What I do is put the flash and bios
    >>on a separately formatted (non-bootable) disk, and just swap at the
    >>A:\ prompt to do the flash.
    >>
    >>Sam
    >

    >Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    >still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    >which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    >the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    >the bios...
    >
    >BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    >created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    >and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    >card...

    OK I've FREAKING HAD IT WITH THIS POS. I tried loading my current BIOS
    which I saved and even THAT one says "unknown flash type." What in the
    blazes is GOING ON HERE????

    I just used the Alt-F2 method to flash the bios. I know this is a stupid
    question, but I have to ask. Did you unzip the file? Put it on the root of
    the floppy as 1012-E.bin.

    "fbionyourtail" <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:35:41 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Sometime on, or about Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:05:19 -0400, fbionyourtail
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK - The problem with everyone having awdflash is that you cannot use
    >>> windows or any variety to create the dos disk. I downloaded a dos 6.2
    >>> imager and that worked fine after stripping off all the extra. Problem
    >>> now is that 1012-e is giving me an error "unknown flash type." Say
    >>> what? This is the bios from the asus site for the a7n8x-e deluxe,
    >>> which i own!
    >>
    >>As you discovered, you need just a plain DOS disk. I've found that I
    >>can create one from XP by just typing format a: /s at the command
    >>prompt. You'll get a basic bootable DOS floppy that way.
    >>
    >>This floppy doesn't need to read NTFS... it's not writing or reading
    >>anything to the hard-drive. I'd recommend saying yes to backing up the
    >>BIOS before flashing it, just in case something goes wrong. However,
    >>you do have to be sure there's enough room on the floppy for the old
    >>BIOS file (somewhere around 512K). What I do is put the flash and bios
    >>on a separately formatted (non-bootable) disk, and just swap at the
    >>A:\ prompt to do the flash.
    >>
    >>Sam
    >

    > Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    > still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    > which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    > the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    > the bios...
    >
    > BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    > created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    > and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    > card...

    The alt-F2 method just hangs there. I formatted a floppy with nothing
    on and put the file, unzipped, extracted as is on the floppy as
    1012-E.bin.

    What did you do exactly to flash the bios using alt-F2? Nothing seems
    to work... Thanks much!

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:34:40 GMT, "DDStech" <here@noneya.biz> wrote:

    >I just used the Alt-F2 method to flash the bios. I know this is a stupid
    >question, but I have to ask. Did you unzip the file? Put it on the root of
    >the floppy as 1012-E.bin.
    >

    >"fbionyourtail" <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:35:41 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sometime on, or about Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:05:19 -0400, fbionyourtail

    >>>As you discovered, you need just a plain DOS disk. I've found that I
    >>>can create one from XP by just typing format a: /s at the command
    >>>prompt. You'll get a basic bootable DOS floppy that way.
    >>>
    >>>This floppy doesn't need to read NTFS... it's not writing or reading
    >>>anything to the hard-drive. I'd recommend saying yes to backing up the
    >>>BIOS before flashing it, just in case something goes wrong. However,
    >>>you do have to be sure there's enough room on the floppy for the old
    >>>BIOS file (somewhere around 512K). What I do is put the flash and bios
    >>>on a separately formatted (non-bootable) disk, and just swap at the
    >>>A:\ prompt to do the flash.
    >>>
    >>>Sam
    >>

    >> Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    >> still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    >> which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    >> the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    >> the bios...
    >>
    >> BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    >> created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    >> and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    >> card...

    Tried using your method -- I got a "file not found" error. Didn't
    matter what file I put on the floppy but for whatever reason it seems
    that the bios tool is not seeing the floppy. Bizarre and driving me
    crazy.

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:34:40 GMT, "DDStech" <here@noneya.biz> wrote:

    >I just used the Alt-F2 method to flash the bios. I know this is a stupid
    >question, but I have to ask. Did you unzip the file? Put it on the root of
    >the floppy as 1012-E.bin.
    >

    >"fbionyourtail" <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:35:41 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Sometime on, or about Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:05:19 -0400, fbionyourtail

    >>>As you discovered, you need just a plain DOS disk. I've found that I
    >>>can create one from XP by just typing format a: /s at the command
    >>>prompt. You'll get a basic bootable DOS floppy that way.
    >>>
    >>>This floppy doesn't need to read NTFS... it's not writing or reading
    >>>anything to the hard-drive. I'd recommend saying yes to backing up the
    >>>BIOS before flashing it, just in case something goes wrong. However,
    >>>you do have to be sure there's enough room on the floppy for the old
    >>>BIOS file (somewhere around 512K). What I do is put the flash and bios
    >>>on a separately formatted (non-bootable) disk, and just swap at the
    >>>A:\ prompt to do the flash.
    >>>
    >>>Sam
    >>

    >> Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    >> still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    >> which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    >> the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    >> the bios...
    >>
    >> BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    >> created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    >> and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    >> card...

    FINALLY!!!!! I decided to unplug everything and flash the CMOS once
    more. I let it stay on there for quite a while. Then plugged
    everything in, booted up and used the bios tool. At first it didn't
    see the file automatically but typing it in it automatically found the
    disk... whew!!! It finally worked. I'm glad that this frustrating
    thread will hopefully help those out who can't figure out what's going
    on with all these messages that tell you nothing...

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:32:37 -0400, fbionyourtail
    <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote:

    >Tried using your method -- I got a "file not found" error. Didn't
    >matter what file I put on the floppy but for whatever reason it seems
    >that the bios tool is not seeing the floppy. Bizarre and driving me
    >crazy.
    >
    >On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:34:40 GMT, "DDStech" <here@noneya.biz> wrote:
    >
    >>I just used the Alt-F2 method to flash the bios. I know this is a stupid
    >>question, but I have to ask. Did you unzip the file? Put it on the root of
    >>the floppy as 1012-E.bin.
    >>

    >>"fbionyourtail" <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    >>> still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    >>> which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    >>> the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    >>> the bios...
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    >>> created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    >>> and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    >>> card...

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:55:46 -0400, fbionyourtail
    wrote:

    > FINALLY!!!!! I decided to unplug everything and flash the CMOS once
    > more. I let it stay on there for quite a while. Then plugged
    > everything in, booted up and used the bios tool. At first it didn't
    > see the file automatically but typing it in it automatically found the
    > disk... whew!!! It finally worked. I'm glad that this frustrating
    > thread will hopefully help those out who can't figure out what's going
    > on with all these messages that tell you nothing...

    I've never had it find the file automatically... I've always had to
    either type it in manually or use a batch file to do the same thing.
    The text in the batch file I use is:

    awdflash 1012-E.BIN BIOS.OLD /py /sy /cd /cp /cc /LD /E

    Save that in a text editor (like Notepad) to a file with an extension
    of .bat. I use update.bat. (No period at the end). Then copy it to
    your floppy and just type that name from the A:\ prompt. Change the
    BIOS file name to the actual one you're using. BIOS.OLD is the name of
    the backup file it will create. Note: this will wipe out your custom
    BIOS settings and put them back to their defaults. You'll need to
    re-do any custom stuff. But that's a good thing... after a BIOS update
    it's better to start out fresh.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    Well, at the boot screen, I just hit alt-f2, then the flash utility asked
    for the file name, then it loads it off the floppy and flashed the bios.
    However, I was having problems posting/booting etc with this board (another
    thread perhaps?), so, I set the system to 100mhz FSB. You might want to try
    that to make sure the problems you're experiencing aren't related to system
    hangs. Once you flash the bios, you can set the system back to "normal".

    I have had many problems getting this board to get past post and not hang or
    blue screen upon booting. If it wasn't for my old DDR133 chips from my old
    system, I believe I would never have got this board to work. Oddly enough,
    after a successfull posting with DDR133 memory, and setting all values to
    auto and 200mhz fsb, I could then install my DDR400 chips and boot without
    any problems. Now I am stable with this configuration, however, I cannot
    understand why after reseting defaults, the DDR400 wont post.

    > The alt-F2 method just hangs there. I formatted a floppy with nothing
    > on and put the file, unzipped, extracted as is on the floppy as
    > 1012-E.bin.
    >
    > What did you do exactly to flash the bios using alt-F2? Nothing seems
    > to work... Thanks much!
    >
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:34:40 GMT, "DDStech" <here@noneya.biz> wrote:
    >
    >>I just used the Alt-F2 method to flash the bios. I know this is a stupid
    >>question, but I have to ask. Did you unzip the file? Put it on the root
    >>of
    >>the floppy as 1012-E.bin.
    >>

    >>"fbionyourtail" <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    >>> still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    >>> which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    >>> the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    >>> the bios...
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    >>> created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    >>> and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    >>> card...

    What about the Asus update utility? Can you boot into windows?

    > Tried using your method -- I got a "file not found" error. Didn't
    > matter what file I put on the floppy but for whatever reason it seems
    > that the bios tool is not seeing the floppy. Bizarre and driving me
    > crazy.
    >
    > On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:34:40 GMT, "DDStech" <here@noneya.biz> wrote:
    >
    >>I just used the Alt-F2 method to flash the bios. I know this is a stupid
    >>question, but I have to ask. Did you unzip the file? Put it on the root
    >>of
    >>the floppy as 1012-E.bin.
    >>

    >>"fbionyourtail" <fbionSPAMMYyourtail@yahSPAMREMOVoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks Sam -- I was able to save the backup on the same disk. That
    >>> still doesn't prevent that damn message "unknown flash type" no matter
    >>> which bios I use. I tried 1012, I tried 1011, it's all the same. What
    >>> the HELL is going on? I've never had such trouble just trying to flash
    >>> the bios...
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I'm not sure if the XP one works since some of the others I
    >>> created that way froze up awdflash. I don't know what's flying here
    >>> and I guess I'm stuck with 1008 and endless crashing with my ATI video
    >>> card...

    Thanks DDS. The only thing that worked was unplugging everything,
    initializing the CMOS by moving the jumper and then botting up and
    using the alt-F2 awdflash built in and it worked like a charm... was
    frustrating trying to figure out what to do with cryptic error
    messages.... thanks for your help.

Asus BIOS NTFS Motherboards