will new 400Mhz FSB mobo work with old 133Mhz FSB AMD proc..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd (More info?)

Hi all, I have an old system with:
VIA KT133 Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ Processor
256MB 133Mhz SDRAM
now, my motherboard died so I have to buy a new one.
I want it based on VIA KT400 chipset, can I leave my old 1600+ Athlon,
and use it with the new mobo?
I really wouldn't want to by a new processor right now, but upgrade it later
when I have the money.
Thanks.
Alex.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd (More info?)

> Hi all, I have an old system with:
> VIA KT133 Motherboard
> AMD Athlon XP 1600+ Processor
> 256MB 133Mhz SDRAM
> now, my motherboard died so I have to buy a new one.
> I want it based on VIA KT400 chipset, can I leave my old 1600+ Athlon,
> and use it with the new mobo?
> I really wouldn't want to by a new processor right now, but upgrade it
later
> when I have the money.

SDRAM won't work, you'll need DDR SDRAM. Processor should work fine with the
KT400 chipset. For example the Asus A7V8X will support the 1600XP as long as
BIOS 1003 or newer is installed.

--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd (More info?)

Thanks Tone, do u know if
A7V8X-MX SE
or
A7V400-MX
will support the 1600+ Athlon also?

Alex.

"Tone-EQ" <tony.cue@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi all, I have an old system with:
> > VIA KT133 Motherboard
> > AMD Athlon XP 1600+ Processor
> > 256MB 133Mhz SDRAM
> > now, my motherboard died so I have to buy a new one.
> > I want it based on VIA KT400 chipset, can I leave my old 1600+ Athlon,
> > and use it with the new mobo?
> > I really wouldn't want to by a new processor right now, but upgrade it
> later
> > when I have the money.
>
> SDRAM won't work, you'll need DDR SDRAM. Processor should work fine with
the
> KT400 chipset. For example the Asus A7V8X will support the 1600XP as long
as
> BIOS 1003 or newer is installed.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)
>
> Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
> http://www.discogs.com

Paul

Splendid

In article <3C43d.198$oT7.80@fe02.buzzardnews.com>, "Alex Rahlis"
<a@nospam.com> wrote:

> Thanks Tone, do u know if
> A7V8X-MX SE
> or
> A7V400-MX
> will support the 1600+ Athlon also?
>
> Alex.

Go here:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Click "CPU Name". Use the pulldown menus to select Athlon 1600+
You will get a long list of boards that support the processor.

Paul

Und so geschah es, daß Alex Rahlis schrieb:
> Hi all, I have an old system with:
> VIA KT133 Motherboard
> AMD Athlon XP 1600+ Processor
> 256MB 133Mhz SDRAM
> now, my motherboard died so I have to buy a new one.
> I want it based on VIA KT400 chipset, can I leave my old 1600+
> Athlon, and use it with the new mobo?
> I really wouldn't want to by a new processor right now, but upgrade
> it later when I have the money.

* KT400 is NOT 400 MHz FSB. It's 400 MHz DDR, but only 333 MHz FSB
* 1600+ Athlon will work.
* SDRAM will NOT work anymore: There are no KT400 SDRAM Boards.

--
"Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own theme park with blackjack and
hookers!" --- Bender, Futurama (S01E02)