Bizarre behavior from DVD/CD RW drive - can't burn DVDs

Tags:
  • DVD
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
June 20, 2004 6:45:02 PM

This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any help that can be offered.

I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media, although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive. Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank media either.

What's been done:
* Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
* Drivers are up to date.
* Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
* Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
* System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no previous state exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
PBI

--
PBI

More about : bizarre behavior dvd drive burn dvds

Anonymous
June 21, 2004 12:30:16 AM

plan.9 wrote:
> This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful
> for any help that can be offered.
>
> I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however,
> my DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD
> media, although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs.
> If the drive is empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a
> DVD/CD RW drive. When I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer
> suddenly changes to show it as a CD Drive, and does not recognize
> that there is blank media in the drive. Additionally, I have 321
> Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of which I have used
> in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank media
> either.
>
> What's been done:
> * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
> * Drivers are up to date.
> * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that
> Windows XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly
> changes to show that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the
> same problem.
> * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
> * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
> several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place,
> no previous state exists.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>

> --
> PBI

Are you using different blank disks than you were before? I tried some
different brand disks and they wouldn't work with my system. A different
brand would work. I installed a firmware update for the DVD writer and it
will work with any disk now.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 1:25:01 PM

Nope - same discs purchased from the same store that I've been using. I also updated the firmware (forgot to mention that in my original post), but to no effect.
--
PBI

!