Bizarre behavior from DVD/CD RW drive - can't burn DVDs

This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful for any help that can be offered.

I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however, my DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD media, although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs. If the drive is empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a DVD/CD RW drive. When I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer suddenly changes to show it as a CD Drive, and does not recognize that there is blank media in the drive. Additionally, I have 321 Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of which I have used in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank media either.

What's been done:
* Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
* Drivers are up to date.
* Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that Windows XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly changes to show that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the same problem.
* Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
* System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place, no previous state exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
PBI

--
PBI
2 answers Last reply

    plan.9 wrote:
    > This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful
    > for any help that can be offered.
    >
    > I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however,
    > my DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD
    > media, although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs.
    > If the drive is empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a
    > DVD/CD RW drive. When I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer
    > suddenly changes to show it as a CD Drive, and does not recognize
    > that there is blank media in the drive. Additionally, I have 321
    > Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of which I have used
    > in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank media
    > either.
    >
    > What's been done:
    > * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
    > * Drivers are up to date.
    > * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that
    > Windows XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly
    > changes to show that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the
    > same problem.
    > * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
    > * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
    > several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place,
    > no previous state exists.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >

    > --
    > PBI

    Are you using different blank disks than you were before? I tried some
    different brand disks and they wouldn't work with my system. A different
    brand would work. I installed a firmware update for the DVD writer and it
    will work with any disk now.

    Nope - same discs purchased from the same store that I've been using. I also updated the firmware (forgot to mention that in my original post), but to no effect.
    --
    PBI

    "Rich Bell" wrote:

    > plan.9 wrote:
    > > This one has stumped Dell customer support, so I would be grateful
    > > for any help that can be offered.
    > >
    > > I have successfully burned DVD+Rs many times. Mysteriously however,
    > > my DVD/CD RW drive (NEC ND1100A) will no longer recognize blank DVD
    > > media, although it still plays CDs, records CD-Rs, and plays DVDs.
    > > If the drive is empty, Windows Explorer shows it properly listed as a
    > > DVD/CD RW drive. When I insert a blank DVD+R however, Explorer
    > > suddenly changes to show it as a CD Drive, and does not recognize
    > > that there is blank media in the drive. Additionally, I have 321
    > > Software's DVD X-Maker and Roxio Creator 7 (both of which I have used
    > > in the past) and now neither of them recognize the blank media
    > > either.
    > >
    > > What's been done:
    > > * Device manager shows the drive to be working properly.
    > > * Drivers are up to date.
    > > * Uninstall and plug and play re-install of the drive shows that
    > > Windows XP has detected the NEC ND1100A DVD/CD RW, but then suddenly
    > > changes to show that it has detected a CD drive, leaving me with the
    > > same problem.
    > > * Partial re-installation/repair of XP produced no change.
    > > * System restore did not allow me to restore to a previous state on
    > > several tries, and now that the partial re-install has taken place,
    > > no previous state exists.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas?
    > >

    > > --
    > > PBI
    >
    > Are you using different blank disks than you were before? I tried some
    > different brand disks and they wouldn't work with my system. A different
    > brand would work. I installed a firmware update for the DVD writer and it
    > will work with any disk now.

DVD CD-Rom Windows XP