A7N8X Deluxe Onboard sound vs Audigy

Hi
I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 board with onboard sound. I'm also still using
a Creative Audigy Player. Which is best to use as a games player, should I
continue with the Audigy Player soundcard or switch to the NForce Sound? I
have a set of PureDigital (Videologic) 5.1 Speakers.

I realise that the latest Audigy cards may be better than onboard sound but
my Audigy was the first one out and is a few years old now.

Secondly, games often use EAX in the sound options which I use as I have a
Creative card. Should I use EAX if I switch to onboard sound?

Regards,
Graham.

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

Well I have the same board and same creative soundcard and I tried onboard
sound but found it not as good as the soundcard

The Old Man <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 board with onboard sound. I'm also still using
> a Creative Audigy Player. Which is best to use as a games player, should I
> continue with the Audigy Player soundcard or switch to the NForce Sound? I
> have a set of PureDigital (Videologic) 5.1 Speakers.

> I realise that the latest Audigy cards may be better than onboard sound but
> my Audigy was the first one out and is a few years old now.

> Secondly, games often use EAX in the sound options which I use as I have a
> Creative card. Should I use EAX if I switch to onboard sound?

See if that onboard sound has EAX support. I don't think it does.
--
"Oh, look what Kyle got me, it's a red Mega... Ants in the pants? Ants
in the pants?! Ants in the Pants?!! ..." --Eric Cartman in South Park's
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

I have a SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer that has been sitting on my work bench
for nearly two years. I decided to try using it again and installed it on
the Asus A7N8X Deluxe board.

The reason I had quite using the Audigy was because I was feed-up with the
hassle of trying to load JUST the drivers and the speaker setup utility.
Back when I purchased the Audigy I tried to download the current driver
package off the Internet. I found I had to install the dated drivers that
came with the soundcard and then I could download the update from
Soundblaster. Seems they have corrected this download dilemma. But the
Soundblaster software still tries to take over my computer with all kinds of
junk that I don't use or want.

I have no doubt the Audigy probably gave me better sound on my Logitech
Z-560 speakers, but I ,quite frankly, could not hear much difference. And,
again I had a bunch of stuff I didn't want or need installed.on my computer.
Plus it seems the computer took longer to boot up.

So the Audigy is back on the bench and all the Soundblaster software is
un-installed and I am using the on-board sound again.

It is a fact that no-onboard sound card is nearly as good as dedicated sound
cards. The quality of onboard sound cards built-in on motherboards (not just
ASUS, any other motherboard for that matter) don't come close to Creative
Live or any other Creative Sound cards. Just use your Creative sound card.

By the way, don't forget to go into CMOS and disable the onboard sound card
before you install your Creative sound card.

--
Ryan Atici

"Ryan Atici" <atici_ryan_OSMANLI@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> It is a fact that no-onboard sound card is nearly as good as dedicated
> sound
> cards. The quality of onboard sound cards built-in on motherboards (not
> just
> ASUS, any other motherboard for that matter) don't come close to Creative
> Live or any other Creative Sound cards. Just use your Creative sound card.
>
> By the way, don't forget to go into CMOS and disable the onboard sound
> card
> before you install your Creative sound card.
>
> --
> Ryan Atici

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I agree with the thoughts on
the 'bloatware' that comes with the Audigy, its a nightmare to get just the
drivers and mixer panel on. I think I'll be sticking with the Audigy as I'd
heard you get a slightly improved framerate using a dedicated card but
wanted to know what you guys thought about the NForce sound option. Many
thanks again.

Graham.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"The Old Man" <bill@micro$oft.com> wrote in message

> "Ryan Atici" <atici_ryan_OSMANLI@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> It is a fact that no-onboard sound card is nearly as good as dedicated
>> sound
>> cards. The quality of onboard sound cards built-in on motherboards (not
>> just
>> ASUS, any other motherboard for that matter) don't come close to Creative
>> Live or any other Creative Sound cards. Just use your Creative sound
>> card.
>>
>> By the way, don't forget to go into CMOS and disable the onboard sound
>> card
>> before you install your Creative sound card.
>>
>> --
>> Ryan Atici
>
> Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I agree with the thoughts on
> the 'bloatware' that comes with the Audigy,

I've just got an Audigy 2, installed the driver update off the web instead
of using the CD, then used the CD to just install the mixer, EAX control
panel and Speaker Calibrator. Didn't even bother with the rest.