Replacement northbridge heatsink for K8V SE Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2004 3:30:27 AM

Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?

Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?

I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.

--
Charlie
Anonymous

Charlie King wrote:
> Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?
>
> Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?
>
> I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
> that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.

Standard procedure is to glue the heatsink to the NB using thermal epoxy.
http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive...

If the K8V SE Deluxe does have mounting holes, it's news to me.
September 20, 2004 3:30:29 AM

In article <44o3d.473165$gE.95988@pd7tw3no>, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:

> Charlie King wrote:
> > Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?
> >
> > Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?
> >
> > I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
> > that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.
>

> Standard procedure is to glue the heatsink to the NB using thermal epoxy.
> http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive...
>
> If the K8V SE Deluxe does have mounting holes, it's news to me.

The picture in the manual shows two plastic push pins on diagonal
corners. I've seen some heatsink replacement kits with brackets
you can adjust to line up with the holes, so no need to use
a permanent thermal epoxy that cannot be removed.

Here is an example of a push pin replacement, with adjustable
arms. The instructions allow installation with push pins, or
using thermal epoxy. I recommend the push pins, as then you
can remove it again if needed.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/Upload/product/ZM-NB32J_en0310....

Paul
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 12:14:45 AM

Paul wrote:
> In article <44o3d.473165$gE.95988@pd7tw3no>, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:
>

>>Charlie King wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?
>>>
>>>Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?
>>>
>>>I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
>>>that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.
>>

>>Standard procedure is to glue the heatsink to the NB using thermal epoxy.
>>http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive...
>>
>>If the K8V SE Deluxe does have mounting holes, it's news to me.
>

> The picture in the manual shows two plastic push pins on diagonal
> corners. I've seen some heatsink replacement kits with brackets
> you can adjust to line up with the holes, so no need to use
> a permanent thermal epoxy that cannot be removed.
>
> Here is an example of a push pin replacement, with adjustable
> arms. The instructions allow installation with push pins, or
> using thermal epoxy. I recommend the push pins, as then you
> can remove it again if needed.

Yes, it has moutning holes, and uses push-pins for the standard heatsink.
However, personally I don't think changing the heatsink really would do
much. It doesn't get that hot, and without any PCI/AGP lock overclocking
results will certainly stay very limited anyway. Instead of
overclocking, I'd suggest undervolting for a nice silent box ;-).

Roland
!