Replacement northbridge heatsink for K8V SE Deluxe

Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?

Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?

I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.

--
Charlie
3 answers Last reply

    Charlie King wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?
    >
    > Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?
    >
    > I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
    > that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.

    Standard procedure is to glue the heatsink to the NB using thermal epoxy.
    http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm

    If the K8V SE Deluxe does have mounting holes, it's news to me.

    In article <44o3d.473165$gE.95988@pd7tw3no>, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:

    > Charlie King wrote:
    > > Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?
    > >
    > > Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?
    > >
    > > I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
    > > that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.
    >

    > Standard procedure is to glue the heatsink to the NB using thermal epoxy.
    > http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm
    >
    > If the K8V SE Deluxe does have mounting holes, it's news to me.

    The picture in the manual shows two plastic push pins on diagonal
    corners. I've seen some heatsink replacement kits with brackets
    you can adjust to line up with the holes, so no need to use
    a permanent thermal epoxy that cannot be removed.

    Here is an example of a push pin replacement, with adjustable
    arms. The instructions allow installation with push pins, or
    using thermal epoxy. I recommend the push pins, as then you
    can remove it again if needed.

    http://www.zalman.co.kr/Upload/product/ZM-NB32J_en0310.pdf

    Paul

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <44o3d.473165$gE.95988@pd7tw3no>, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:
    >

    >>Charlie King wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know if the northbridge heatsink has mounting holes?
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone replaced the heatsink, and if so with what?
    >>>
    >>>I'm toying with the idea of overclocking a little, and it strikes me
    >>>that a better cooler on the northbridge might help.
    >>

    >>Standard procedure is to glue the heatsink to the NB using thermal epoxy.
    >>http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm
    >>
    >>If the K8V SE Deluxe does have mounting holes, it's news to me.
    >

    > The picture in the manual shows two plastic push pins on diagonal
    > corners. I've seen some heatsink replacement kits with brackets
    > you can adjust to line up with the holes, so no need to use
    > a permanent thermal epoxy that cannot be removed.
    >
    > Here is an example of a push pin replacement, with adjustable
    > arms. The instructions allow installation with push pins, or
    > using thermal epoxy. I recommend the push pins, as then you
    > can remove it again if needed.

    Yes, it has moutning holes, and uses push-pins for the standard heatsink.
    However, personally I don't think changing the heatsink really would do
    much. It doesn't get that hot, and without any PCI/AGP lock overclocking
    results will certainly stay very limited anyway. Instead of
    overclocking, I'd suggest undervolting for a nice silent box ;-).

    Roland

Asus Overclocking Heatsinks Motherboards