IEEE1394 firewire card install

a b \ Driver
June 21, 2004 3:48:01 AM

I have recently purchased and installed IEEE1394 card and have no joy installing drivers.
Computer recognises device but when attempting to install drivers it returns
"This data is invalid" error (code 1)
June 21, 2004 11:52:17 PM

Its a registry permission prob with XP Brian
To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "REGEDT32.EXE" without the
quotes to run the Registry Editor. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\P CI and you will see a
number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like
"1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be
another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the
"DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install - in this
case "IEEE 1394 controller". HIGHLIGHT THE ENTRY "VEN_xxxx" for that device
and select 'SECURITY'-'PERMISSIONS' FROM THE WINDOW TOP MENU and then tick
"Allow" for "Full Control". Close REGEDT32, reboot, and then do a normal
install. If the install again provides an error message, recheck the
permissons in regedit again. For some reason regedit does not always save
the new permissions

"kiwibrianc" <kiwibrianc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have recently purchased and installed IEEE1394 card and have no joy
installing drivers.
> Computer recognises device but when attempting to install drivers it
returns
> "This data is invalid" error (code 1)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 21, 2004 11:52:18 PM

Thankyou for your valued assistance Paul I have answers to a lot of things but Computers aint one of them!!!

"Paul" wrote:

> Its a registry permission prob with XP Brian
> To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "REGEDT32.EXE" without the
> quotes to run the Registry Editor. Navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\P CI and you will see a
> number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like
> "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be
> another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the
> "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install - in this
> case "IEEE 1394 controller". HIGHLIGHT THE ENTRY "VEN_xxxx" for that device
> and select 'SECURITY'-'PERMISSIONS' FROM THE WINDOW TOP MENU and then tick
> "Allow" for "Full Control". Close REGEDT32, reboot, and then do a normal
> install. If the install again provides an error message, recheck the
> permissons in regedit again. For some reason regedit does not always save
> the new permissions
>

> "kiwibrianc" <kiwibrianc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have recently purchased and installed IEEE1394 card and have no joy
> installing drivers.
> > Computer recognises device but when attempting to install drivers it
> returns
> > "This data is invalid" error (code 1)

Related resources
June 22, 2004 11:34:15 AM

No worries there Brian. Happy to help :)

> Thankyou for your valued assistance Paul I have answers to a lot of things
but Computers aint one of them!!!

> "Paul" wrote:
>
> > Its a registry permission prob with XP Brian
> > To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "REGEDT32.EXE" without
the
> > quotes to run the Registry Editor. Navigate to
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\P CI and you will see a
> > number of keys of the form "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like
> > "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will
be
> > another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for
the
> > "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install - in
this
> > case "IEEE 1394 controller". HIGHLIGHT THE ENTRY "VEN_xxxx" for that
device
> > and select 'SECURITY'-'PERMISSIONS' FROM THE WINDOW TOP MENU and then
tick
> > "Allow" for "Full Control". Close REGEDT32, reboot, and then do a normal
> > install. If the install again provides an error message, recheck the
> > permissons in regedit again. For some reason regedit does not always
save
> > the new permissions
> >

> > "kiwibrianc" <kiwibrianc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have recently purchased and installed IEEE1394 card and have no joy
> > installing drivers.
> > > Computer recognises device but when attempting to install drivers it
> > returns
> > > "This data is invalid" error (code 1)

June 22, 2004 11:35:37 AM

I take it youre in NZ somewhere Brian.