A7V880 detects cpu incorrectly

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 2:18:02 AM

Anyone else having this problem?

It sees my 2400+ and an 1800+ To get it to run correctly, I have to
manually set the multiplier and "OC" to 133 FSB. Sandra reports the CPU as
an 1800+ but I assume the program simply get the info from BIOS.

This chip ran jsut ducky on my Shuttle AK31 Rev 3 so I'm curious what's
happening.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 2:18:03 AM

So if you set the fsb for 133 then the multiplier to 15x it doesn't stay at
133? Are you not using the overclock by n% thing?

Mine willingly set my mobile xp to 166 13x from its default 133 12.5. (Which
doesn't help you much.) I never touched the overclock by n%. Not sure what
sort of instabilities that might introduce.

BTW What are your vcore, 3.3, 5, and 12v readings in the bios and in
pcprobe? Mine are flaky, but the psu read great before this mb. The bios and
pcprobe readings are different enough that I think the board is at fault.
I'd like to see yours so I can determine if it's the current bios (did you
install the latest?) or if I have a bad board.

Thanks in advance!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 7:41:54 AM

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> So if you set the fsb for 133 then the multiplier to 15x it doesn't stay
> at
> 133? Are you not using the overclock by n% thing?

You have to set the OC Tuner to "Manual" to be able to set the front side
bus. I set it to 133 and set the multiplier, again manually, to 15x and it
then runs at a proper 2 ghz. But the system still reports the chip as an
1800+.

> BTW What are your vcore, 3.3, 5, and 12v readings in the bios and in
> pcprobe? Mine are flaky, but the psu read great before this mb. The bios
> and
> pcprobe readings are different enough that I think the board is at fault.
> I'd like to see yours so I can determine if it's the current bios (did you
> install the latest?) or if I have a bad board.

Some of the voltages are indeed flaky. Here's what Sandra 2004 reports:

CPU 1.73v
3.3 3.36
+5 4.92
-5 4.05 ??
+12 11.86
-12 4.01

Also confusing is trying to set this board up to use Motherboard Monitor 5.
It can't find any sensors at all. They've got 1100+ MBs in the data base but
not this specific one.
A7V, A7V8X, A7V8X X none of these work.

> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Ed Light
>
> Smiley :-/
> MS Smiley :-\
>
> Send spam to the FTC at
> uce@ftc.gov
> Thanks, robots.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 7:41:55 AM

> But the system still reports the chip as an
> 1800+
It thinks my mobile 2200+ is a Sempron 2400. But they never support mobiles.

MBM definitely doesn't know this board.

You can download the new Asus PCProbe

http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_...

It does much the same thing.

I'd really like to know what voltages the bios say, and whether pcprobe
agrees with sandra. If the bios and pcprobe say different, then I can tell
tech support and maybe they'll work on a new bios instead of advising me to
send it back (shudder!).

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 2:12:31 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:10:14 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

>> But the system still reports the chip as an
>> 1800+
>It thinks my mobile 2200+ is a Sempron 2400. But they never support mobiles.
>
>MBM definitely doesn't know this board.
>
>You can download the new Asus PCProbe
>
>http://www.asus.com/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_...

Or try the aida32 program witch is know now to be Everest...
it will show you every thing...
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?dlid=2&lan...

>It does much the same thing.
>
>I'd really like to know what voltages the bios say, and whether pcprobe
>agrees with sandra. If the bios and pcprobe say different, then I can tell
>tech support and maybe they'll work on a new bios instead of advising me to
>send it back (shudder!).
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 5:45:48 PM

"Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote
> Or try the aida32 program witch is know now to be Everest...
> it will show you every thing...
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?dlid=2&lan...

The thing with Asus PCProbe is it will sound an alarm if anything goes out
of spec.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 9:35:54 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:45:48 -0700, "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

>"Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote
>> Or try the aida32 program witch is know now to be Everest...
>> it will show you every thing...
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?dlid=2&lan...
>
>The thing with Asus PCProbe is it will sound an alarm if anything goes out
>of spec.

That is one if the reason why i quit using that program

another reason is that after 1 month there is always a missing driver resulting in a program exe
error.

:-<
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 9:35:55 PM

"Dreamaker" <onceuponatime@theEnd.com> wrote
>>The thing with Asus PCProbe is it will sound an alarm if anything goes out
>>of spec.
>
> That is one if the reason why i quit using that program
>
> another reason is that after 1 month there is always a missing driver
> resulting in a program exe
> error.

I hope the newest version fixes that. Guess I'll know in a month.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\