P4C800E-DLX motherboard won't boot, what could it be?

I just put together a new computer using the motherboard P4C800E-DLX I
bought recently. First, I noticed there was a screw missing on the retention
bracket for the CPU heat sink. I used a spare screw I had to be sure the
retention bracket is correctly installed.

Then when I power up the new computer, it won't boot, won't show anything on
screen, and there is no diagnostic beep. Although everything seems properly
powered, it's as if there is no BIOS on the motherboard.

Here is a list of the anomalies: - Monitor screen doesn't receive any
signal, won't display anything (I used two video cards, one being brand new,
to ensure the problem wasn't the video card). - No diagnostic beeps. - Power
led and HD led are off- even though the green LED on the motherboard is on,
and the CPU fan is working properly.

Any idea what could be the problem? I suspect a defect BIOS, and I will
probably be returning it, but any idea of what could be wrong is welcomed.

Tx, Ray.

Paul

Splendid

In article <shJ3d.38667$Fe2.1060844@weber.videotron.net>, "povmec"
<raymond_hill@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just put together a new computer using the motherboard P4C800E-DLX I
> bought recently. First, I noticed there was a screw missing on the retention
> bracket for the CPU heat sink. I used a spare screw I had to be sure the
> retention bracket is correctly installed.
>
> Then when I power up the new computer, it won't boot, won't show anything on
> screen, and there is no diagnostic beep. Although everything seems properly
> powered, it's as if there is no BIOS on the motherboard.
>
> Here is a list of the anomalies: - Monitor screen doesn't receive any
> signal, won't display anything (I used two video cards, one being brand new,
> to ensure the problem wasn't the video card). - No diagnostic beeps. - Power
> led and HD led are off- even though the green LED on the motherboard is on,
> and the CPU fan is working properly.
>
> Any idea what could be the problem? I suspect a defect BIOS, and I will
> probably be returning it, but any idea of what could be wrong is welcomed.
>
> Tx, Ray.

2x2 ATX 12V plugged in ?

Why not try the Voice POST feature. Plug a pair of amplified
speakers into the Lineout connector on the I/O panel. Listen
for an error message, and compare the message you hear, to
a list of messages in the manual. Because the Voice POST isn't
very high fidelity, you need to stare at the list while listening,
to make sense of it.

HTH,
Paul

> 2x2 ATX 12V plugged in ?
>
> Why not try the Voice POST feature. Plug a pair of amplified
> speakers into the Lineout connector on the I/O panel. Listen
> for an error message, and compare the message you hear, to
> a list of messages in the manual. Because the Voice POST isn't
> very high fidelity, you need to stare at the list while listening,
> to make sense of it.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate. Finally found the problem to be the
video cable, so that explains why no diagnosis beeps or voice post was
heard. The lesson I got from this: keep looking, I was ready to return the
motherboard.

Ray.