USB stick question

David

I have a simple wired home network, and have just got another pc that I want
to add. I don't want to go down the route of cabling, as the position of the
pc is not permanent, so am looking at wireless. Currently it's only the one
pc that I will be wanting to add, and I don't want to spend a lot of cash on
this. I want to share the internet connection, files and printers.

I've been looking at usb stick wireless connectors. The one I'm looking at
is Dabs own value brand, and it says no access point is required. if I
purchased two of these, would I be able to connect the new pc to the main pc
on the network, and thus share the internet connection and the pc will
appear on the network as another pc? It's wireless 'b' spec, and pretty
cheap.

Also on that point, I notice that wireless kit 'b' is cheaper than wireless
'g'. Would there be any dissadvantage in going down the route of buying
cheaper 'b' spec kit, as the network is a very simple home network. Or maybe
buy a cheap 'g' access point, and a very cheap 'b' usb stick for the one pc
I want to connect.

All advice appreciated, and a happy new year to all BTW.

David

I should have added that all pc's on the network are running xp home with
sp2

"David" <david.brown@tesco.net> wrote in message
>I have a simple wired home network, and have just got another pc that I
>want to add. I don't want to go down the route of cabling, as the position
>of the pc is not permanent, so am looking at wireless. Currently it's only
>the one pc that I will be wanting to add, and I don't want to spend a lot
>of cash on this. I want to share the internet connection, files and
>printers.
>
> I've been looking at usb stick wireless connectors. The one I'm looking at
> is Dabs own value brand, and it says no access point is required. if I
> purchased two of these, would I be able to connect the new pc to the main
> pc on the network, and thus share the internet connection and the pc will
> appear on the network as another pc? It's wireless 'b' spec, and pretty
> cheap.
>
> Also on that point, I notice that wireless kit 'b' is cheaper than
> wireless 'g'. Would there be any dissadvantage in going down the route of
> buying cheaper 'b' spec kit, as the network is a very simple home network.
> Or maybe buy a cheap 'g' access point, and a very cheap 'b' usb stick for
> the one pc I want to connect.
>
> All advice appreciated, and a happy new year to all BTW.

David

OK, I've found some of the answers.

The difference between b and g seems to be mainly speed. My internet
connection is only 512K, and we don't intend to change this so I'm guessing
that 'b' is adequate for my purposes. In that case, there seems no sense in
having a faster g type access point, and a slower b type node.

I've also looked at some sites and reviews that say these devices can be
used to share files/internet connection so I'm guessing that I can use these
particular ones to do this too.

My remaining questions are:-

1) If the connection is between the new pc, and the main pc, will other
pc's connected to the hub be able to access the new pc and the new pc be
able to access pc's on the network other than the one it's connected to?

2) If I can't use the network properly, then I'm guessing that it will have
to be an access point. I'd really like to use the usb device because of the
cost of it - would it talk to the rest of the network via an access point?

Thanks

that would work ok, and yes every machine would see every machine (well when
you get the config sorted! - have fun)
G is faster than B, so you might see faster files transfer machine to
machine, but G or B makes no diff to internet speed.

mike

"mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message
> that would work ok, and yes every machine would see every machine (well
> when
> you get the config sorted! - have fun)
> G is faster than B, so you might see faster files transfer machine to
> machine, but G or B makes no diff to internet speed.

Thanks for that. I've since found out that my cabletv internet connection
can be shared by a wireless router, so I'm thinking of getting one for the
NAT firewall protection and future upgradeability, and a cheapo b usb stick
to talk to it.

well personally i'd got with PCI cards rather than USB
if it's NTL then i did the whole lot for under £150.

mike