Harddrive failure on boot up

On my roomates computer when he tries to boot it up he gets a boot from cd message. The proble occurs when he attempts to do that his computer gives him a message saying that it does not recognize either of his harddrives. His PC is only 6 months old and the problem didn't occur until about a week ago or so. Any ideas on what is causing the problem? We've tried just unplugging one harddrive and booting up but it has the same problem.

Did he do a reinstall of the operating system?

go into the BIOS to see if it is recognizing the hard
drivers. If it is make sure all the boot sequence are set
to boot from hard drive.

Yes we've tried reinstalling windows and it still says that it can not find the harddrives. I check under the BIOS and they aren't their either. Any ideas what could be causing this?

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Did he do a reinstall of the operating system?
>
> go into the BIOS to see if it is recognizing the hard
> drivers. If it is make sure all the boot sequence are set
> to boot from hard drive.

Check all the IDE cables end connections and power
connections. They could possible be loose, if the BIOS
doesn't recognize the drives

Are both hard drives on the same IDE cable? Switch the
primary and secondary connecter of the IDE cable to the
hard drives.

Are the CD/DVD devices being recognized by the BIOS on
the other IDE controller? Try switching the hard drive
IDE cable at the MoBO to that IDE controller that the
cd/dvd are hooked into. If the cd device works on the IDE
controller that the hard drives were connected, the
controller is fine, its possible the cable used on the
hard drives went bad. Switch out with the known good one
that is connected to the cd device, and go out and buy a
new cable.

What brand of computer, MoBo (if known), and hard drive?

We'll give the IDE switch up a try and see what happens the computer is a custom job, the MoBo is unknown, and the Harddrives are Seagate.

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Check all the IDE cables end connections and power
> connections. They could possible be loose, if the BIOS
> doesn't recognize the drives
>
> Are both hard drives on the same IDE cable? Switch the
> primary and secondary connecter of the IDE cable to the
> hard drives.
>
> Are the CD/DVD devices being recognized by the BIOS on
> the other IDE controller? Try switching the hard drive
> IDE cable at the MoBO to that IDE controller that the
> cd/dvd are hooked into. If the cd device works on the IDE
> controller that the hard drives were connected, the
> controller is fine, its possible the cable used on the
> hard drives went bad. Switch out with the known good one
> that is connected to the cd device, and go out and buy a
> new cable.
>
> What brand of computer, MoBo (if known), and hard drive?

Well we tried but he doesn't have IDE cables for his harddrive he has fire wire. and I checked and rechecked the connections...and still no luck. Is there anything that we are missing?