New MB; can't even get into BIOS setup

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 1:43:09 AM

Help please.

I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
failed due to CPU overclocking."

The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
"Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
the recommended settings."

Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.

More about : bios setup

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 5:08:58 PM

Steve Conover wrote:

> Help please.
>
> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
> failed due to CPU overclocking."
>
> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
> the recommended settings."
>
> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

Yeah, I had that problem with my P4C800 E Deluxe -- not every time,
but on some boots. Since it felt like the system was short of
power, my solution was to remove power and signal cables to my
non-boot SATA HD until I could get the BIOS stable and XP installed.
You might try removing all non-essential devices.

By the way, my system is now stable, with both power-hungry HDS and
a pretty hot AGP card, a 3.0 GHz Prescott, and a pair of 512MB RAMs
in dual-channel mode. Booting problems were, apparently, just
teething pains.
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

Try resetting CMOS

"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Help please.
>
> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
> failed due to CPU overclocking."
>
> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
> the recommended settings."
>
> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 6:20:37 PM

Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?

"sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:

>Try resetting CMOS
>
>"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Help please.
>>
>> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
>> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
>> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
>> failed due to CPU overclocking."
>>
>> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
>> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
>> the recommended settings."
>>
>> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

>> Delete the ZZZ.
>> It keeps spam
>> off the server.

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 6:20:38 PM

Maybe something is grounded funny, mounting screws maybe too tight.
Also remove any cards that are not needed from the PCI slots.
Could just be a bad motherboard ?
Try contacting ASUS, see what they have to say.

> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
>

> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
>
>>Try resetting CMOS
>>
>>"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Help please.
>>>
>>> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
>>> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
>>> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
>>> failed due to CPU overclocking."
>>>
>>> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
>>> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
>>> the recommended settings."
>>>
>>> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve
>>>

>>> Delete the ZZZ.
>>> It keeps spam
>>> off the server.
>>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

September 21, 2004 6:20:38 PM

In article <4ndvk0hu9blmn61mo1hvs67nrcme1med56@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
<scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?

If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".

Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
Are the fans spinning etc ?

Paul

> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
>
> >Try resetting CMOS
> >
> >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Help please.
> >>
> >> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
> >> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
> >> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
> >> failed due to CPU overclocking."
> >>
> >> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
> >> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
> >> the recommended settings."
> >>
> >> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Steve
> >>

> >> Delete the ZZZ.
> >> It keeps spam
> >> off the server.
> >

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 6:20:39 PM

Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
up, just before I get the vocal POST message.

Steve

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <4ndvk0hu9blmn61mo1hvs67nrcme1med56@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
>> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
>
>If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
>
>Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
>Are the fans spinning etc ?
>
> Paul
>

>> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Try resetting CMOS
>> >
>> >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message

>> Delete the ZZZ.
>> It keeps spam
>> off the server.

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
September 21, 2004 6:20:40 PM

In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
<scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
>
> Steve

Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...

If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
give that a try.

Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
there.

HTH,
Paul

> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >In article <4ndvk0hu9blmn61mo1hvs67nrcme1med56@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
> ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
> >> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
> >
> >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
> >
> >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
> >Are the fans spinning etc ?
> >
> > Paul

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 9:41:37 PM

Did you use paste for the CPU heatsink? Check not spread over parts of the
CPU ie too much paste.

"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
>

> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
>
> >Try resetting CMOS
> >
> >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Help please.
> >>
> >> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
> >> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
> >> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
> >> failed due to CPU overclocking."
> >>
> >> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
> >> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
> >> the recommended settings."
> >>
> >> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Steve
> >>

> >> Delete the ZZZ.
> >> It keeps spam
> >> off the server.
> >

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 9:41:38 PM

The CPU had a thermal pad instead of paste.

"sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:

>Did you use paste for the CPU heatsink? Check not spread over parts of the
>CPU ie too much paste.
>
>"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
>> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
>>

>> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Try resetting CMOS
>> >
>> >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message

>> Delete the ZZZ.
>> It keeps spam
>> off the server.

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 11:08:57 PM

Thanks, Paul. I'm grateful for the help.

BIOS chip says 1014, and that's the minimum for my MB/processor.

ASUS support told me it's probably one of three things:
1. bad RAM
2. power supply too small
3. bad MB

I have two (twin) sticks of 512MB PC3200 Corsair RAM (1GB total).
Removed one; no change. Moved them from the A1+B1 slots to the
A2+B2 slots; no change ("System failure due to CPU
overclocking"). Bad RAM? Still don't know, but Corsair is
supposed to be quality stuff; besides, a new MB is less expensive
than 1G RAM, so I'd try a new MB first.

I just now replaced the Antec 380W power supply with their 430W
box; no change.

I'll give your step-by-step method a shot over the next couple
evenings. If that doesn't help, I guess I'll have to conclude
it's the motherboard.

Steve

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
>> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
>> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
>> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
>>
>> Steve
>
>Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
>with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
>but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
>and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
>
>http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...
>
>If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
>give that a try.
>
>Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
>cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
>to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
>no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
>is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
>shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
>Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
>might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
>might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
>there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
>Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
>get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
>point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
>there.
>
>HTH,
> Paul
>

>> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>> >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
>> >
>> >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
>> >Are the fans spinning etc ?
>> >
>> > Paul

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2004 11:11:46 PM

ASUS said it might be a power problem, too -- but I just replaced
the 380W with a 430W box, and it didn't help. The SATA couldn't
be drawing enough to dent that, could it?

Steve

Bob Willard <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

>Steve Conover wrote:
>
>> Help please.
>>
>> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
>> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
>> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
>> failed due to CPU overclocking."
>>
>> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
>> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
>> the recommended settings."
>>
>> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

>> Delete the ZZZ.
>> It keeps spam
>> off the server.
>
>Yeah, I had that problem with my P4C800 E Deluxe -- not every time,
>but on some boots. Since it felt like the system was short of
>power, my solution was to remove power and signal cables to my
>non-boot SATA HD until I could get the BIOS stable and XP installed.
>You might try removing all non-essential devices.
>
>By the way, my system is now stable, with both power-hungry HDS and
>a pretty hot AGP card, a 3.0 GHz Prescott, and a pair of 512MB RAMs
>in dual-channel mode. Booting problems were, apparently, just
>teething pains.

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 12:41:24 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it might be bad RAM. I left
the MB in the case, but unplugged everything to get to the Trial
1 config. Here's what happened:

Trial 1: (MB+PSU+Power switch) "No CPU installed."
Trial 2: (+CPU) Long beep + 2 short beeps. (Manual: "3 beeps=
main memory read/write test error.")
Trial 3: (+RAM) "System failed due to CPU overclocking."

Does that sound like bad RAM to you?

Steve

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
>> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
>> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
>> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
>>
>> Steve
>
>Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
>with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
>but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
>and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
>
>http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...
>
>If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
>give that a try.
>
>Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
>cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
>to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
>no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
>is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
>shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
>Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
>might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
>might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
>there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
>Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
>get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
>point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
>there.
>
>HTH,
> Paul
>

>> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>> >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
>> >
>> >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
>> >Are the fans spinning etc ?
>> >
>> > Paul

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 3:14:54 AM

Can only suggest check the cpu is not damaged.

> The CPU had a thermal pad instead of paste.
>

> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
>
> >Did you use paste for the CPU heatsink? Check not spread over parts of
the
> >CPU ie too much paste.
> >
> >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
> >> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?

> >> Delete the ZZZ.
> >> It keeps spam
> >> off the server.
> >

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.
September 22, 2004 5:27:50 AM

In article <tml1l05u6fla7ji323pep34k0ceei1pc5h@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
<scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I think it might be bad RAM. I left
> the MB in the case, but unplugged everything to get to the Trial
> 1 config. Here's what happened:
>
> Trial 1: (MB+PSU+Power switch) "No CPU installed."
> Trial 2: (+CPU) Long beep + 2 short beeps. (Manual: "3 beeps=
> main memory read/write test error.")
> Trial 3: (+RAM) "System failed due to CPU overclocking."
>
> Does that sound like bad RAM to you?
>
> Steve

I would have expected "System failed memory test" for Trial 2.
Did you get a Voice POST message for trial 2 ?

I suppose a silly question, is what kind of RAM is it. The manual
says unbuffered ECC or non-ECC memory will work. ECC memory is
72 bits wide and non-ECC memory is 64 bits wide. Generally ECC
requires a nineth memory chip per side of the DIMM, to give the
needed extra eight bits (at least on a 512MB DIMM, with eight
32Mx8 chips on each side). If the RAM is the wrong kind (registered),
I would have expected a beep code - like the three beeps you got
in trial 2.

There are a couple of ways the Voice POST can be triggered into
emitting a message. The "No CPU installed" is done by sensing the
presence of a voltage on one of the CPU pins. The "System Failed
CPU Test" or "System Failed Memory Test" are implemented with a
timer inside the Voice POST chip. If either of those two tests
takes too long, the message is emitted. If the test completes OK,
the CPU is supposed to enter the Voice POST chip and clear the timer.
The "System Failed Due To CPU Overclock" is, as far as I know, under
programmatic control by the processor. The problem is, I don't know
where the "I booted OK" flag is located in the hardware. It could be
a bit in the CMOS battery backed memory (in which case an overclocking
failure would be remembered past a loss of power) or it could be a flag
stored in main memory (low memory).

I found a post in Abxzone:

"I was having trouble with my setup when I first got it. Make sure
your ram is getting enough voltage. I was having that same message
popup of CPU Overclocking failed when I was running at stock speeds.
Turns out my memory was hungry for voltage and I wasn't delivering.
Turn it up .1 volt in the bios to see if that clears up the problem."

so at least one person got that message due to his ram.

So a ram swap or a processor swap are next. Try just one stick of
ram and try it different slots, if you don't have any other ram handy
to test. At this point, even some slow PC2100 DDR memory would be
good enough for a test. That is how people used to escape from
badly programmed high performance memory - use a slow stick to get
into the BIOS, so they could set the memory timings manually.

Paul

> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
> ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
> >> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
> >> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
> >> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
> >>
> >> Steve
> >
> >Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
> >with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
> >but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
> >and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
> >
> >http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...
> >
> >If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
> >give that a try.
> >
> >Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
> >cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
> >to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
> >no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
> >is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
> >shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
> >Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
> >might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
> >might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
> >there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
> >Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
> >get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
> >point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
> >there.
> >
> >HTH,
> > Paul

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 11:20:17 AM

No voice POST message for trial 2, just 3 beeps. The memory is
Corsair Twinx1024-3200LLPT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200. Also, I reset the
CMOS at one point, so there's nothing there now.

I'll get a new ram stick today and try it.

Steve

>I would have expected "System failed memory test" for Trial 2.
>Did you get a Voice POST message for trial 2 ?
>
>I suppose a silly question, is what kind of RAM is it. The manual
>says unbuffered ECC or non-ECC memory will work. ECC memory is
>72 bits wide and non-ECC memory is 64 bits wide. Generally ECC
>requires a nineth memory chip per side of the DIMM, to give the
>needed extra eight bits (at least on a 512MB DIMM, with eight
>32Mx8 chips on each side). If the RAM is the wrong kind (registered),
>I would have expected a beep code - like the three beeps you got
>in trial 2.
>
>There are a couple of ways the Voice POST can be triggered into
>emitting a message. The "No CPU installed" is done by sensing the
>presence of a voltage on one of the CPU pins. The "System Failed
>CPU Test" or "System Failed Memory Test" are implemented with a
>timer inside the Voice POST chip. If either of those two tests
>takes too long, the message is emitted. If the test completes OK,
>the CPU is supposed to enter the Voice POST chip and clear the timer.
>The "System Failed Due To CPU Overclock" is, as far as I know, under
>programmatic control by the processor. The problem is, I don't know
>where the "I booted OK" flag is located in the hardware. It could be
>a bit in the CMOS battery backed memory (in which case an overclocking
>failure would be remembered past a loss of power) or it could be a flag
>stored in main memory (low memory).
>
>I found a post in Abxzone:
>
> "I was having trouble with my setup when I first got it. Make sure
> your ram is getting enough voltage. I was having that same message
> popup of CPU Overclocking failed when I was running at stock speeds.
> Turns out my memory was hungry for voltage and I wasn't delivering.
> Turn it up .1 volt in the bios to see if that clears up the problem."
>
>so at least one person got that message due to his ram.
>
>So a ram swap or a processor swap are next. Try just one stick of
>ram and try it different slots, if you don't have any other ram handy
>to test. At this point, even some slow PC2100 DDR memory would be
>good enough for a test. That is how people used to escape from
>badly programmed high performance memory - use a slow stick to get
>into the BIOS, so they could set the memory timings manually.
>
> Paul

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 2:19:58 PM

Steve Conover wrote:

> ASUS said it might be a power problem, too -- but I just replaced
> the 380W with a 430W box, and it didn't help. The SATA couldn't
> be drawing enough to dent that, could it?
>
> Steve

Maybe. I have a 430W Antec PS, yet I could not get my P4C800E deluxe
until I removed one of my two SATA HDs. Since your MB should boot up
and run the BIOS stuff without any HDs, I suggest you fire it up that
way to get the CMOS params straightened out.
--
Cheers, Bob

<Earlier message history follows:>

> Bob Willard <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Steve Conover wrote:
>>

>>>Help please.
>>>
>>>I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
>>>RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
>>>after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
>>>failed due to CPU overclocking."
>>>
>>>The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
>>>"Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
>>>the recommended settings."
>>>
>>>Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Steve
>>>

>>>Delete the ZZZ.
>>>It keeps spam
>>>off the server.
>>
>>Yeah, I had that problem with my P4C800 E Deluxe -- not every time,
>>but on some boots. Since it felt like the system was short of
>>power, my solution was to remove power and signal cables to my
>>non-boot SATA HD until I could get the BIOS stable and XP installed.
>>You might try removing all non-essential devices.
>>
>>By the way, my system is now stable, with both power-hungry HDS and
>>a pretty hot AGP card, a 3.0 GHz Prescott, and a pair of 512MB RAMs
>>in dual-channel mode. Booting problems were, apparently, just
>>teething pains.
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 9:46:29 PM

Paul,

I bought a cheap memory stick (Kingston 333/256 PC2700) and tried
it in place of the Corsairs. Even tried it in two different
slots. No help. Still get the "CPU overclocking" failure
message from voice POST at Trial 3 (=MB+PSU+Power
switch+CPU+RAM).

So, I guess it's not bad memory causing the problem.

Must be the motherboard. I'll look into what it takes to return
it, unless you can think of something else I should try first.

Take care,
Steve

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
>> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
>> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
>> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
>>
>> Steve
>
>Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
>with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
>but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
>and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
>
>http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...
>
>If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
>give that a try.
>
>Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
>cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
>to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
>no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
>is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
>shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
>Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
>might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
>might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
>there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
>Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
>get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
>point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
>there.
>
>HTH,
> Paul
>

>> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>> >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
>> >
>> >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
>> >Are the fans spinning etc ?
>> >
>> > Paul

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 22, 2004 11:19:39 PM

After thinking about your problem it is most likely a faulty board. Could be
a memory bank, you have tried moving memory to other banks?

Not a good thing you are going through
"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Help please.
>
> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
> failed due to CPU overclocking."
>
> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
> the recommended settings."
>
> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2004 4:26:42 AM

It has most likely been suggested somewhere in this long posting and
answers, but have you tried removing the MB from the case
and placeing it on card board ( I usually set the sheet foam packing from
the mb box on cardboard then set the MB on this. With this just setup the
essentials,
Power supply connections, 1 stick of memory, 1 floppy drive, video board,
keyboard, and mouse,. Reset or clear the bios. Remove cpu fan and cpu-clean
surface of cpu and fan and then reinstall cpu and fan (with thin even coat
of heatsink compound. After all of this try to boot and see what happens.
Sometimes just a little speck of solder or something on the mb will short to
the case and all kinds of weird problems can happen. If you can get as far
as the opening readings on the video screen hit the delete key and go into
bios and check all settings one page at a time.. Pay close attention to the
primary bios screen and set all HD settings to "Auto ", and setup floppy
drive just for now and then reboot. Let us know after you have done this and
then you may need to go page by page in the bios (with at least 1 HD
installed-no cd or DVD for now). Check the soft menu for the cpu if you can
reach it (although on your board it is supposed to reset to default settings
after the type of error message that you are getting). give it a try and see
what happens...Aloha
"sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote in message
> After thinking about your problem it is most likely a faulty board. Could
be
> a memory bank, you have tried moving memory to other banks?
>
> Not a good thing you are going through
> "Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> > Help please.
> >
> > I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
> > RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
> > after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
> > failed due to CPU overclocking."
> >
> > The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
> > "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
> > the recommended settings."
> >
> > Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve
> >

> > Delete the ZZZ.
> > It keeps spam
> > off the server.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2004 4:26:43 AM

Thanks; I tried all that, and just finished unplugging,
disassembling, and reboxing everything. Cleaned up all the misc
trash, vacuumed the carpet, and put everything in the closet.

Four days of wrestling with it is my limit. ASUS help desk said
it's one of three things: not enough power supply, bad ram, or
bad mb. $200 worth of new hardware eliminated the first two
possibilities, so it must be the third one. I just now sent ASUS
a query asking next steps for getting the mb replaced.

If I never hear "System failure due to CPU overclocking" again,
it will be too soon.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Steve

"Randy Gentry" <gentryr001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>It has most likely been suggested somewhere in this long posting and
>answers, but have you tried removing the MB from the case
>and placeing it on card board ( I usually set the sheet foam packing from
>the mb box on cardboard then set the MB on this. With this just setup the
>essentials,
>Power supply connections, 1 stick of memory, 1 floppy drive, video board,
>keyboard, and mouse,. Reset or clear the bios. Remove cpu fan and cpu-clean
>surface of cpu and fan and then reinstall cpu and fan (with thin even coat
>of heatsink compound. After all of this try to boot and see what happens.
>Sometimes just a little speck of solder or something on the mb will short to
>the case and all kinds of weird problems can happen. If you can get as far
>as the opening readings on the video screen hit the delete key and go into
>bios and check all settings one page at a time.. Pay close attention to the
>primary bios screen and set all HD settings to "Auto ", and setup floppy
>drive just for now and then reboot. Let us know after you have done this and
>then you may need to go page by page in the bios (with at least 1 HD
>installed-no cd or DVD for now). Check the soft menu for the cpu if you can
>reach it (although on your board it is supposed to reset to default settings
>after the type of error message that you are getting). give it a try and see
>what happens...Aloha
>"sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote in message
>> After thinking about your problem it is most likely a faulty board. Could
>be
>> a memory bank, you have tried moving memory to other banks?
>>
>> Not a good thing you are going through
>> "Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Help please.
>> >
>> > I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
>> > RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
>> > after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
>> > failed due to CPU overclocking."
>> >
>> > The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
>> > "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
>> > the recommended settings."
>> >
>> > Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Steve
>> >

>> > Delete the ZZZ.
>> > It keeps spam
>> > off the server.

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2004 9:41:28 PM

One month ago, I was trying to assemble a new system, but
couldn't get past the vocal POST message "System failed due to
CPU overclocking." Help from several of you, and subsequent
step-by-step testing led me to conclude it was a faulty MB
(P4C800-E Deluxe).

MB is back from its RMA trip; packing slip said "Problem: BIOS
Chksum Error BIOS version Error. Repair Result: Flash BIOS to
the lastest [sic] version."

I thought, "That's good, they found and fixed the problem. Now
let's build my new, speedy system."

Cautiously following the step-by-step process I'd learned before,
here's what happened:

1. (MB, PSU, Power switch): vocal POST says, "No CPU installed."

Me: "OK, now install the CPU, Arctic Silver 5 goop, and heatsink,
then we're off and running."

2. (plus CPU+goop+heatsink): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU
test."

Me: "Maybe it needs RAM to get past that one."

3a. (plus 1GB RAM): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU test."

Me: "Maybe it's bad RAM; remove it, and try the cheap RAM I
bought last month when I thought it was bad RAM."

3b. same vocal POST message.

Me: "Uh-oh, did ZipZoomFly sell me a bad CPU? This is not good,
because they have a 30-day limit on returns, and I'm way past
that."

Could it be anything besides the CPU? Does Intel have an RMA
process for P4's?

Thanks,
Steve

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
October 25, 2004 9:38:57 AM

Steve Conover wrote:
> One month ago, I was trying to assemble a new system, but
> couldn't get past the vocal POST message "System failed due to
> CPU overclocking." Help from several of you, and subsequent
> step-by-step testing led me to conclude it was a faulty MB
> (P4C800-E Deluxe).
>
> MB is back from its RMA trip; packing slip said "Problem: BIOS
> Chksum Error BIOS version Error. Repair Result: Flash BIOS to
> the lastest [sic] version."
>
> I thought, "That's good, they found and fixed the problem. Now
> let's build my new, speedy system."
>
> Cautiously following the step-by-step process I'd learned before,
> here's what happened:
>
> 1. (MB, PSU, Power switch): vocal POST says, "No CPU installed."
>
> Me: "OK, now install the CPU, Arctic Silver 5 goop, and heatsink,
> then we're off and running."
>
> 2. (plus CPU+goop+heatsink): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU
> test."
>
> Me: "Maybe it needs RAM to get past that one."
>
> 3a. (plus 1GB RAM): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU test."
>
> Me: "Maybe it's bad RAM; remove it, and try the cheap RAM I
> bought last month when I thought it was bad RAM."
>
> 3b. same vocal POST message.
>
> Me: "Uh-oh, did ZipZoomFly sell me a bad CPU? This is not good,
> because they have a 30-day limit on returns, and I'm way past
> that."
>
> Could it be anything besides the CPU? Does Intel have an RMA
> process for P4's?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

Is the 2x2 ATX12V power connector plugged in ?

That might be enough to stop it.

"System failed CPU test" is based on a timer used
by the Winbond Voice POST chip. The Voice POST chip
has its own crude internal processor and executes a
program stored in the same eight pin DIP chip, as the
voice samples. The timer in the Voice POST chip can be
set up by that code, and if it times out before the CPU
wakes up and clears the timer, you get the System
Failed CPU Test message. So anything which can delay
the execution of BIOS code, would be enough to prevent
the board from getting past that voice message.

Another example of a possible problem, would be a
stuck reset switch. The board does not need a
reset switch to work, so you can disconnect it. If
the reset switch is stuck in the depressed ON position,
it leaves the board in reset, and that might be enough
to do it. (But, you would think a stuck reset would
also stop the Winbond chip to, so maybe this is
a dumb idea.)

I don't know of an easy way to be able to tell whether
the processor is doing anything or not. If you owned
a BIOS POST card (a PCI/ISA card with two digit hex
display on it), you could check to see if the processor
is writing to port 80. Other than that, you would need
to see visible signs of life, like drives being
accessed, or the video card waking up etc.

You don't mention what kind of processor you've got, but
if the board were to have an older BIOS in it, and you
had a Prescott or a Celeron D, it could be the BIOS
doesn't support the processor. You can find out what
combinations work on the cpusupport web page:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as...

If the slip in the box said the BIOS was updated, you
have no way of knowing whether that was done or not. Since
it sounds like you didn't send back the processor with the
motherboard, how do they know what they are fixing ?
Maybe you can assume that if there is a paper label stuck
on the BIOS chip, then that is the version of BIOS you've
got. Consult the cpusupport web page based on the paper
label, and see if the combo of processor and BIOS will
work.

If you have a spare P4 processor, test the motherboard with
that. If the board will run with a spare P4, then it means
your Zipzoomfly processor hasn't killed the board. And,
that means you could take the Zipzoomfly processor to a
friend's house, and test it on another motherboard, assuming
you don't have a mobo to test the processor with.

Unless you've zapped the new processor with static, or broken
a pin off, it is highly unlikely the new processor is busted.
I assume if the processor is a retail boxed unit, that the
plastic packaging was intact, and the seals were still on it.
If so, then the odds of the processor being dead are like
10000:1 . This is more likely to still be a BIOS problem,
and the slip in the box could be a lot of BS. If you can get
the board to run with another P4 (a Northwood, for example),
then you can flash the board up to the latest BIOS yourself.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2004 6:00:21 PM

Steve Conover wrote:
> One month ago, I was trying to assemble a new system, but
> couldn't get past the vocal POST message "System failed due to
> CPU overclocking." Help from several of you, and subsequent
> step-by-step testing led me to conclude it was a faulty MB
> (P4C800-E Deluxe).
>
> MB is back from its RMA trip; packing slip said "Problem: BIOS
> Chksum Error BIOS version Error. Repair Result: Flash BIOS to
> the lastest [sic] version."
>
> I thought, "That's good, they found and fixed the problem. Now
> let's build my new, speedy system."
>
> Cautiously following the step-by-step process I'd learned before,
> here's what happened:
>
> 1. (MB, PSU, Power switch): vocal POST says, "No CPU installed."
>
> Me: "OK, now install the CPU, Arctic Silver 5 goop, and heatsink,
> then we're off and running."
>
> 2. (plus CPU+goop+heatsink): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU
> test."
>
> Me: "Maybe it needs RAM to get past that one."
>
> 3a. (plus 1GB RAM): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU test."
>
> Me: "Maybe it's bad RAM; remove it, and try the cheap RAM I
> bought last month when I thought it was bad RAM."
>
> 3b. same vocal POST message.
>
> Me: "Uh-oh, did ZipZoomFly sell me a bad CPU? This is not good,
> because they have a 30-day limit on returns, and I'm way past
> that."
>
> Could it be anything besides the CPU? Does Intel have an RMA
> process for P4's?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

If it's a Boxed (retail) processor, Intel should honer the three (3)
year warranty directly through Intel by following the instructions in
your enclosed warranty booklet, however, if it's an OEM/Tray processor
any warranty available would be handled directly through your retailer
or place of purchase:

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/warranty/qn...

Steven
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2004 11:31:36 PM

Paul,

Thanks a lot for your help. Although I did discover <blush> that
I had failed to plug in the 2x2 12V connector, after doing that
and adding the memory, it's now back to the vocal POST message
"System failed due to CPU overclocking."

Any idea what triggers the overclocking POST message?

(The processor is a 2.8GHz P4; came in a retail box.)

Thanks,
Steve

Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote:

> [...]
>that. If the board will run with a spare P4, then it means
>your Zipzoomfly processor hasn't killed the board. And,
>that means you could take the Zipzoomfly processor to a
>friend's house, and test it on another motherboard, assuming
>you don't have a mobo to test the processor with.
>
>Unless you've zapped the new processor with static, or broken
>a pin off, it is highly unlikely the new processor is busted.
>I assume if the processor is a retail boxed unit, that the
>plastic packaging was intact, and the seals were still on it.
>If so, then the odds of the processor being dead are like
>10000:1 . This is more likely to still be a BIOS problem,
>and the slip in the box could be a lot of BS. If you can get
>the board to run with another P4 (a Northwood, for example),
>then you can flash the board up to the latest BIOS yourself.

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
October 26, 2004 4:09:18 AM

In article <d86rn01u40f4abdrubcgv361f7rb8os7ms@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
<scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks a lot for your help. Although I did discover <blush> that
> I had failed to plug in the 2x2 12V connector, after doing that
> and adding the memory, it's now back to the vocal POST message
> "System failed due to CPU overclocking."
>
> Any idea what triggers the overclocking POST message?
>
> (The processor is a 2.8GHz P4; came in a retail box.)
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

I don't really know for sure. It could be something simple,
like a CMOS bit that is cleared at the beginning of the POST,
and is set just as the computer starts to boot. If the
BIOS code doesn't run to completion, then the value of the
bit can be checked at the beginning of the next POST, at
which time the overclocking message will be given. Many
of the Voice POST messages are commanded by the processor,
and only a few run via the timer, or by an actual hardware
signal to the Winbond chip.

Something is preventing the BIOS from completing properly,
that is about all that can be concluded from the message.
Stripping the computer down to the minimum amount of
hardware, is as close as you'll get to isolating what
is causing it. And, swapping processor and RAM, is an
expensive option. It is times like this that you need
a well stocked junk parts cabinet. (I had one build
where I bought duplicates of everything except the
motherboard :-(

If you had a PCI/ISA POST card (the one with a two
digit hex display), you can watch the routine numbers
flash by, and there are tables available, that map the
Port 80 codes sent to the POST card, to routines
in the BIOS. A POST card can be had pretty cheaply
from Ebay now, as some traders sell batches of them
new on Ebay. At one time, POST cards were expensive,
considering the low tech chips on the card. The POST
card is useful if the BIOS runs for a few seconds and
then stops dead - if the board is bootable, then the
info is useless. (POST cards are good for faults where
the machine gets stuck.)

The "system failed" message is reporting what the board
thinks happened on the _last_ POST, and not the
current one. The presumption is the board crashed on the
last BIOS POST, and the BIOS is using safe values on
the current boot, to allow you to enter the BIOS and
"fix' the overclocking problem. I have an A7N8X-E that
will report this from boot cycle to boot cycle, and the
board still works. On that board, for me, the presence
of the message indicates something is still not right
with the board, and if I am overclocking, it means I
am probably pushing the board too far - note that in
my case, it doesn't prevent me from using the board.
I think some people's Intel boards are the same way,
you can be getting that message and still use the
board with no problems. The message doesn't guarantee
you've got a problem, and I would treat it as a gentle
hint that something isn't right.

If you can successfully boot the board, run memtest86 from
memtest.org to test for solid faults in the memory, then
boot into Windows and run Prime95 (mersenne.org) to test
for pattern sensitivity in the memory, or problems with
the processor and/or Northbridge on the motherboard. A
benchmark like 3DMark is good for accelerating video card
or AGP slot problems.

Those kinds of tests are the things you can run, to determine
whether the "System failed..." message indicates a real
problem or not.

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2004 2:44:18 AM

Problem solved. It was a bad motherboard; I bought another
identical motherboard today at Fry's, took it one step at a time
with no problems, and I just made it through the BIOS setup.
Tomorrow I'll load the OS (XP).

Thanks to all who helped me diagnose this situation over the last
month or so, especially Paul.

Kinda ticks me off that ASUS' RMA process not only failed to
discover that the first mb was bad, but also that they reported
the problem "solved" after flashing the latest BIOS.

ASUS will be hearing from me on this fiasco soon, and so will
ZipZoomFly. (I paid ZZF $174 in return for a piece of junk and
thirty-plus days of frustration.) Buying two motherboards to get
one that works was not on my agenda or in my budget this year; I
guess I should be thankful it wasn't the processor.

Thanks again, folks.
Steve

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 29, 2004 2:31:55 PM

Steve Conover <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message news:<o2e3o05pv00128c7v4uinbsqem03ck983l@4ax.com>...
> Problem solved. It was a bad motherboard; I bought another
> identical motherboard today at Fry's, took it one step at a time
> with no problems, and I just made it through the BIOS setup.
> Tomorrow I'll load the OS (XP).
>
> Thanks to all who helped me diagnose this situation over the last
> month or so, especially Paul.
>
> Kinda ticks me off that ASUS' RMA process not only failed to
> discover that the first mb was bad, but also that they reported
> the problem "solved" after flashing the latest BIOS.
>
> ASUS will be hearing from me on this fiasco soon, and so will
> ZipZoomFly. (I paid ZZF $174 in return for a piece of junk and
> thirty-plus days of frustration.) Buying two motherboards to get
> one that works was not on my agenda or in my budget this year; I
> guess I should be thankful it wasn't the processor.
>
> Thanks again, folks.
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

Thank You Steve,
....and Paul,
For posting this complete, clear, running commentary on this problem
and it's solution. It is so pleasant to read the logical progression
and solution of the issue even though I have not had this problem
myself. This thread will remain with me for some time to come.
Thanks again.
MapMaker
!