New MB; can't even get into BIOS setup

Help please.

I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
failed due to CPU overclocking."

The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
"Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
the recommended settings."

Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.
27 answers Last reply
More about bios setup

    Steve Conover wrote:

    > Help please.
    >
    > I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    > RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    > after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    > failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >
    > The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    > "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    > the recommended settings."
    >
    > Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve
    >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.

    Yeah, I had that problem with my P4C800 E Deluxe -- not every time,
    but on some boots. Since it felt like the system was short of
    power, my solution was to remove power and signal cables to my
    non-boot SATA HD until I could get the BIOS stable and XP installed.
    You might try removing all non-essential devices.

    By the way, my system is now stable, with both power-hungry HDS and
    a pretty hot AGP card, a 3.0 GHz Prescott, and a pair of 512MB RAMs
    in dual-channel mode. Booting problems were, apparently, just
    teething pains.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Try resetting CMOS

    "Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Help please.
    >
    > I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    > RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    > after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    > failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >
    > The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    > "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    > the recommended settings."
    >
    > Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve
    >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.

    Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
    something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?

    "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:

    >Try resetting CMOS
    >
    >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Help please.
    >>
    >> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    >> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    >> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    >> failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >>
    >> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    >> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    >> the recommended settings."
    >>
    >> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Steve
    >>

    >> Delete the ZZZ.
    >> It keeps spam
    >> off the server.

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.

    Maybe something is grounded funny, mounting screws maybe too tight.
    Also remove any cards that are not needed from the PCI slots.
    Could just be a bad motherboard ?
    Try contacting ASUS, see what they have to say.

    In article <4ndvk0hu9blmn61mo1hvs67nrcme1med56@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

    > Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
    > something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?

    If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".

    Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
    Are the fans spinning etc ?

    Paul

    > "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Try resetting CMOS
    > >
    > >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Help please.
    > >>
    > >> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    > >> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    > >> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    > >> failed due to CPU overclocking."
    > >>
    > >> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    > >> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    > >> the recommended settings."
    > >>
    > >> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Steve
    > >>

    > >> Delete the ZZZ.
    > >> It keeps spam
    > >> off the server.
    > >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.

    Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
    spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
    SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
    up, just before I get the vocal POST message.

    Steve

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <4ndvk0hu9blmn61mo1hvs67nrcme1med56@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
    >> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
    >
    >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
    >
    >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
    >Are the fans spinning etc ?
    >
    > Paul
    >

    >> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Try resetting CMOS
    >> >
    >> >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message

    >> Delete the ZZZ.
    >> It keeps spam
    >> off the server.

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.

    In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

    > Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
    > spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
    > SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
    > up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
    >
    > Steve

    Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
    with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
    but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
    and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
    give that a try.

    Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
    cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
    to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
    no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
    is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
    shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
    Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
    might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
    might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
    there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
    Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
    get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
    point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
    there.

    HTH,
    Paul

    > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <4ndvk0hu9blmn61mo1hvs67nrcme1med56@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    > ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
    > >> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
    > >
    > >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
    > >
    > >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
    > >Are the fans spinning etc ?
    > >
    > > Paul

    Did you use paste for the CPU heatsink? Check not spread over parts of the
    CPU ie too much paste.

    "Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
    > something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
    >

    > "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Try resetting CMOS
    > >
    > >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Help please.
    > >>
    > >> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    > >> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    > >> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    > >> failed due to CPU overclocking."
    > >>
    > >> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    > >> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    > >> the recommended settings."
    > >>
    > >> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Steve
    > >>

    > >> Delete the ZZZ.
    > >> It keeps spam
    > >> off the server.
    > >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.

    The CPU had a thermal pad instead of paste.

    "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:

    >Did you use paste for the CPU heatsink? Check not spread over parts of the
    >CPU ie too much paste.
    >
    >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Tried it; same message, same blank screen. Might it have
    >> something to do with my ATI Radeon 9600 XT card?
    >>

    >> "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Try resetting CMOS
    >> >
    >> >"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message

    >> Delete the ZZZ.
    >> It keeps spam
    >> off the server.

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.

    Thanks, Paul. I'm grateful for the help.

    BIOS chip says 1014, and that's the minimum for my MB/processor.

    ASUS support told me it's probably one of three things:
    1. bad RAM
    2. power supply too small
    3. bad MB

    I have two (twin) sticks of 512MB PC3200 Corsair RAM (1GB total).
    Removed one; no change. Moved them from the A1+B1 slots to the
    A2+B2 slots; no change ("System failure due to CPU
    overclocking"). Bad RAM? Still don't know, but Corsair is
    supposed to be quality stuff; besides, a new MB is less expensive
    than 1G RAM, so I'd try a new MB first.

    I just now replaced the Antec 380W power supply with their 430W
    box; no change.

    I'll give your step-by-step method a shot over the next couple
    evenings. If that doesn't help, I guess I'll have to conclude
    it's the motherboard.

    Steve

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
    >> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
    >> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
    >> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >
    >Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
    >with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
    >but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
    >and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
    >
    >http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    >
    >If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
    >give that a try.
    >
    >Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
    >cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
    >to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
    >no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
    >is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
    >shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
    >Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
    >might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
    >might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
    >there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
    >Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
    >get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
    >point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
    >there.
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul
    >

    >> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >> >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
    >> >
    >> >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
    >> >Are the fans spinning etc ?
    >> >
    >> > Paul

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.

    ASUS said it might be a power problem, too -- but I just replaced
    the 380W with a 430W box, and it didn't help. The SATA couldn't
    be drawing enough to dent that, could it?

    Steve

    Bob Willard <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

    >Steve Conover wrote:
    >
    >> Help please.
    >>
    >> I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    >> RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    >> after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    >> failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >>
    >> The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    >> "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    >> the recommended settings."
    >>
    >> Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Steve
    >>

    >> Delete the ZZZ.
    >> It keeps spam
    >> off the server.
    >
    >Yeah, I had that problem with my P4C800 E Deluxe -- not every time,
    >but on some boots. Since it felt like the system was short of
    >power, my solution was to remove power and signal cables to my
    >non-boot SATA HD until I could get the BIOS stable and XP installed.
    >You might try removing all non-essential devices.
    >
    >By the way, my system is now stable, with both power-hungry HDS and
    >a pretty hot AGP card, a 3.0 GHz Prescott, and a pair of 512MB RAMs
    >in dual-channel mode. Booting problems were, apparently, just
    >teething pains.

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.

    Paul,

    Thanks for the suggestion. I think it might be bad RAM. I left
    the MB in the case, but unplugged everything to get to the Trial
    1 config. Here's what happened:

    Trial 1: (MB+PSU+Power switch) "No CPU installed."
    Trial 2: (+CPU) Long beep + 2 short beeps. (Manual: "3 beeps=
    main memory read/write test error.")
    Trial 3: (+RAM) "System failed due to CPU overclocking."

    Does that sound like bad RAM to you?

    Steve

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
    >> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
    >> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
    >> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >
    >Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
    >with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
    >but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
    >and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
    >
    >http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    >
    >If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
    >give that a try.
    >
    >Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
    >cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
    >to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
    >no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
    >is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
    >shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
    >Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
    >might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
    >might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
    >there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
    >Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
    >get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
    >point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
    >there.
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul
    >

    >> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >> >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
    >> >
    >> >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
    >> >Are the fans spinning etc ?
    >> >
    >> > Paul

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.

    Can only suggest check the cpu is not damaged.

    In article <tml1l05u6fla7ji323pep34k0ceei1pc5h@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

    > Paul,
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. I think it might be bad RAM. I left
    > the MB in the case, but unplugged everything to get to the Trial
    > 1 config. Here's what happened:
    >
    > Trial 1: (MB+PSU+Power switch) "No CPU installed."
    > Trial 2: (+CPU) Long beep + 2 short beeps. (Manual: "3 beeps=
    > main memory read/write test error.")
    > Trial 3: (+RAM) "System failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >
    > Does that sound like bad RAM to you?
    >
    > Steve

    I would have expected "System failed memory test" for Trial 2.
    Did you get a Voice POST message for trial 2 ?

    I suppose a silly question, is what kind of RAM is it. The manual
    says unbuffered ECC or non-ECC memory will work. ECC memory is
    72 bits wide and non-ECC memory is 64 bits wide. Generally ECC
    requires a nineth memory chip per side of the DIMM, to give the
    needed extra eight bits (at least on a 512MB DIMM, with eight
    32Mx8 chips on each side). If the RAM is the wrong kind (registered),
    I would have expected a beep code - like the three beeps you got
    in trial 2.

    There are a couple of ways the Voice POST can be triggered into
    emitting a message. The "No CPU installed" is done by sensing the
    presence of a voltage on one of the CPU pins. The "System Failed
    CPU Test" or "System Failed Memory Test" are implemented with a
    timer inside the Voice POST chip. If either of those two tests
    takes too long, the message is emitted. If the test completes OK,
    the CPU is supposed to enter the Voice POST chip and clear the timer.
    The "System Failed Due To CPU Overclock" is, as far as I know, under
    programmatic control by the processor. The problem is, I don't know
    where the "I booted OK" flag is located in the hardware. It could be
    a bit in the CMOS battery backed memory (in which case an overclocking
    failure would be remembered past a loss of power) or it could be a flag
    stored in main memory (low memory).

    I found a post in Abxzone:

    "I was having trouble with my setup when I first got it. Make sure
    your ram is getting enough voltage. I was having that same message
    popup of CPU Overclocking failed when I was running at stock speeds.
    Turns out my memory was hungry for voltage and I wasn't delivering.
    Turn it up .1 volt in the bios to see if that clears up the problem."

    so at least one person got that message due to his ram.

    So a ram swap or a processor swap are next. Try just one stick of
    ram and try it different slots, if you don't have any other ram handy
    to test. At this point, even some slow PC2100 DDR memory would be
    good enough for a test. That is how people used to escape from
    badly programmed high performance memory - use a slow stick to get
    into the BIOS, so they could set the memory timings manually.

    Paul

    > nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    > ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
    > >> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
    > >> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
    > >> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
    > >>
    > >> Steve
    > >
    > >Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
    > >with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
    > >but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
    > >and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
    > >
    > >http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    > >
    > >If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
    > >give that a try.
    > >
    > >Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
    > >cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
    > >to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
    > >no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
    > >is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
    > >shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
    > >Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
    > >might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
    > >might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
    > >there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
    > >Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
    > >get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
    > >point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
    > >there.
    > >
    > >HTH,
    > > Paul

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    No voice POST message for trial 2, just 3 beeps. The memory is
    Corsair Twinx1024-3200LLPT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200. Also, I reset the
    CMOS at one point, so there's nothing there now.

    I'll get a new ram stick today and try it.

    Steve

    >I would have expected "System failed memory test" for Trial 2.
    >Did you get a Voice POST message for trial 2 ?
    >
    >I suppose a silly question, is what kind of RAM is it. The manual
    >says unbuffered ECC or non-ECC memory will work. ECC memory is
    >72 bits wide and non-ECC memory is 64 bits wide. Generally ECC
    >requires a nineth memory chip per side of the DIMM, to give the
    >needed extra eight bits (at least on a 512MB DIMM, with eight
    >32Mx8 chips on each side). If the RAM is the wrong kind (registered),
    >I would have expected a beep code - like the three beeps you got
    >in trial 2.
    >
    >There are a couple of ways the Voice POST can be triggered into
    >emitting a message. The "No CPU installed" is done by sensing the
    >presence of a voltage on one of the CPU pins. The "System Failed
    >CPU Test" or "System Failed Memory Test" are implemented with a
    >timer inside the Voice POST chip. If either of those two tests
    >takes too long, the message is emitted. If the test completes OK,
    >the CPU is supposed to enter the Voice POST chip and clear the timer.
    >The "System Failed Due To CPU Overclock" is, as far as I know, under
    >programmatic control by the processor. The problem is, I don't know
    >where the "I booted OK" flag is located in the hardware. It could be
    >a bit in the CMOS battery backed memory (in which case an overclocking
    >failure would be remembered past a loss of power) or it could be a flag
    >stored in main memory (low memory).
    >
    >I found a post in Abxzone:
    >
    > "I was having trouble with my setup when I first got it. Make sure
    > your ram is getting enough voltage. I was having that same message
    > popup of CPU Overclocking failed when I was running at stock speeds.
    > Turns out my memory was hungry for voltage and I wasn't delivering.
    > Turn it up .1 volt in the bios to see if that clears up the problem."
    >
    >so at least one person got that message due to his ram.
    >
    >So a ram swap or a processor swap are next. Try just one stick of
    >ram and try it different slots, if you don't have any other ram handy
    >to test. At this point, even some slow PC2100 DDR memory would be
    >good enough for a test. That is how people used to escape from
    >badly programmed high performance memory - use a slow stick to get
    >into the BIOS, so they could set the memory timings manually.
    >
    > Paul

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Steve Conover wrote:

    > ASUS said it might be a power problem, too -- but I just replaced
    > the 380W with a 430W box, and it didn't help. The SATA couldn't
    > be drawing enough to dent that, could it?
    >
    > Steve

    Maybe. I have a 430W Antec PS, yet I could not get my P4C800E deluxe
    until I removed one of my two SATA HDs. Since your MB should boot up
    and run the BIOS stuff without any HDs, I suggest you fire it up that
    way to get the CMOS params straightened out.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    <Earlier message history follows:>

    > Bob Willard <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Steve Conover wrote:
    >>

    >>>Help please.
    >>>
    >>>I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    >>>RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    >>>after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    >>>failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >>>
    >>>The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    >>>"Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    >>>the recommended settings."
    >>>
    >>>Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Steve
    >>>

    >>>Delete the ZZZ.
    >>>It keeps spam
    >>>off the server.
    >>
    >>Yeah, I had that problem with my P4C800 E Deluxe -- not every time,
    >>but on some boots. Since it felt like the system was short of
    >>power, my solution was to remove power and signal cables to my
    >>non-boot SATA HD until I could get the BIOS stable and XP installed.
    >>You might try removing all non-essential devices.
    >>
    >>By the way, my system is now stable, with both power-hungry HDS and
    >>a pretty hot AGP card, a 3.0 GHz Prescott, and a pair of 512MB RAMs
    >>in dual-channel mode. Booting problems were, apparently, just
    >>teething pains.
    >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Paul,

    I bought a cheap memory stick (Kingston 333/256 PC2700) and tried
    it in place of the Corsairs. Even tried it in two different
    slots. No help. Still get the "CPU overclocking" failure
    message from voice POST at Trial 3 (=MB+PSU+Power
    switch+CPU+RAM).

    So, I guess it's not bad memory causing the problem.

    Must be the motherboard. I'll look into what it takes to return
    it, unless you can think of something else I should try first.

    Take care,
    Steve

    nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <li60l01onmq5jsbsjj6b80ba521hk67d59@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    ><scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, 12V connector is plugged in, CPU fan and chassis fan are
    >> spinning. Front panel power lights come on. I do have a new
    >> SATA hd that is spinning (no IDE drives). Floppy spins at power
    >> up, just before I get the vocal POST message.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >
    >Examine the paper label on the BIOS flash chip. My board shipped
    >with 1014, and I cannot imagine an old BIOS to be the problem,
    >but I'm running out of other things to suggest. Look up P4C800-E
    >and see for your processor, what minimum BIOS is required.
    >
    >http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
    >
    >If you have another "P4 ready" power supply handy, you might
    >give that a try.
    >
    >Also, you might try assembling the system on a piece of
    >cardboard, and add one component at a time, while listening
    >to the Voice POST. The Voice POST will run, even when there are
    >no components plugged into the motherboard. A minimal system
    >is motherboard, PSU, and power switch. Perhaps something is
    >shorting to the bottom of the motherboard. Listening to the
    >Voice POST messages changing as you add components one at a time
    >might tell you something. When the keyboard is unplugged you
    >might have to wait 30 seconds or longer to hear the message that
    >there is no keyboard, so be patient when waiting for a message.
    >Add CPU, ram, video card, keyboard/mouse and see if you can
    >get into the BIOS. Only connect drives if you get past that
    >point. Do a "Load Setup Defaults" in the BIOS menu if you get
    >there.
    >
    >HTH,
    > Paul
    >

    >> nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >> >If it did, the POST would say "System failed VGA test".
    >> >
    >> >Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power connector ?
    >> >Are the fans spinning etc ?
    >> >
    >> > Paul

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    After thinking about your problem it is most likely a faulty board. Could be
    a memory bank, you have tried moving memory to other banks?

    Not a good thing you are going through
    "Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Help please.
    >
    > I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    > RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    > after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    > failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >
    > The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    > "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    > the recommended settings."
    >
    > Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve
    >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    It has most likely been suggested somewhere in this long posting and
    answers, but have you tried removing the MB from the case
    and placeing it on card board ( I usually set the sheet foam packing from
    the mb box on cardboard then set the MB on this. With this just setup the
    essentials,
    Power supply connections, 1 stick of memory, 1 floppy drive, video board,
    keyboard, and mouse,. Reset or clear the bios. Remove cpu fan and cpu-clean
    surface of cpu and fan and then reinstall cpu and fan (with thin even coat
    of heatsink compound. After all of this try to boot and see what happens.
    Sometimes just a little speck of solder or something on the mb will short to
    the case and all kinds of weird problems can happen. If you can get as far
    as the opening readings on the video screen hit the delete key and go into
    bios and check all settings one page at a time.. Pay close attention to the
    primary bios screen and set all HD settings to "Auto ", and setup floppy
    drive just for now and then reboot. Let us know after you have done this and
    then you may need to go page by page in the bios (with at least 1 HD
    installed-no cd or DVD for now). Check the soft menu for the cpu if you can
    reach it (although on your board it is supposed to reset to default settings
    after the type of error message that you are getting). give it a try and see
    what happens...Aloha
    "sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote in message
    > After thinking about your problem it is most likely a faulty board. Could
    be
    > a memory bank, you have tried moving memory to other banks?
    >
    > Not a good thing you are going through
    > "Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Help please.
    > >
    > > I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    > > RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    > > after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    > > failed due to CPU overclocking."
    > >
    > > The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    > > "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    > > the recommended settings."
    > >
    > > Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Steve
    > >

    > > Delete the ZZZ.
    > > It keeps spam
    > > off the server.

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Thanks; I tried all that, and just finished unplugging,
    disassembling, and reboxing everything. Cleaned up all the misc
    trash, vacuumed the carpet, and put everything in the closet.

    Four days of wrestling with it is my limit. ASUS help desk said
    it's one of three things: not enough power supply, bad ram, or
    bad mb. $200 worth of new hardware eliminated the first two
    possibilities, so it must be the third one. I just now sent ASUS
    a query asking next steps for getting the mb replaced.

    If I never hear "System failure due to CPU overclocking" again,
    it will be too soon.

    Thanks for all of your suggestions.

    Steve

    "Randy Gentry" <gentryr001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

    >It has most likely been suggested somewhere in this long posting and
    >answers, but have you tried removing the MB from the case
    >and placeing it on card board ( I usually set the sheet foam packing from
    >the mb box on cardboard then set the MB on this. With this just setup the
    >essentials,
    >Power supply connections, 1 stick of memory, 1 floppy drive, video board,
    >keyboard, and mouse,. Reset or clear the bios. Remove cpu fan and cpu-clean
    >surface of cpu and fan and then reinstall cpu and fan (with thin even coat
    >of heatsink compound. After all of this try to boot and see what happens.
    >Sometimes just a little speck of solder or something on the mb will short to
    >the case and all kinds of weird problems can happen. If you can get as far
    >as the opening readings on the video screen hit the delete key and go into
    >bios and check all settings one page at a time.. Pay close attention to the
    >primary bios screen and set all HD settings to "Auto ", and setup floppy
    >drive just for now and then reboot. Let us know after you have done this and
    >then you may need to go page by page in the bios (with at least 1 HD
    >installed-no cd or DVD for now). Check the soft menu for the cpu if you can
    >reach it (although on your board it is supposed to reset to default settings
    >after the type of error message that you are getting). give it a try and see
    >what happens...Aloha
    >"sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote in message
    >> After thinking about your problem it is most likely a faulty board. Could
    >be
    >> a memory bank, you have tried moving memory to other banks?
    >>
    >> Not a good thing you are going through
    >> "Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > Help please.
    >> >
    >> > I just assembled a system using the P4C800-E Deluxe with 1GB DDR
    >> > RAM and a Pentium 4 (2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache). Shortly
    >> > after the power comes on, the Vocal POST Message says, "System
    >> > failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >> >
    >> > The ASUS manual recommends the following action (p.3-2):
    >> > "Check your CPU settings in BIOS and make sure you only set to
    >> > the recommended settings."
    >> >
    >> > Sounds good, but I can't get to the BIOS before it fails.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Steve
    >> >

    >> > Delete the ZZZ.
    >> > It keeps spam
    >> > off the server.

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    One month ago, I was trying to assemble a new system, but
    couldn't get past the vocal POST message "System failed due to
    CPU overclocking." Help from several of you, and subsequent
    step-by-step testing led me to conclude it was a faulty MB
    (P4C800-E Deluxe).

    MB is back from its RMA trip; packing slip said "Problem: BIOS
    Chksum Error BIOS version Error. Repair Result: Flash BIOS to
    the lastest [sic] version."

    I thought, "That's good, they found and fixed the problem. Now
    let's build my new, speedy system."

    Cautiously following the step-by-step process I'd learned before,
    here's what happened:

    1. (MB, PSU, Power switch): vocal POST says, "No CPU installed."

    Me: "OK, now install the CPU, Arctic Silver 5 goop, and heatsink,
    then we're off and running."

    2. (plus CPU+goop+heatsink): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU
    test."

    Me: "Maybe it needs RAM to get past that one."

    3a. (plus 1GB RAM): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU test."

    Me: "Maybe it's bad RAM; remove it, and try the cheap RAM I
    bought last month when I thought it was bad RAM."

    3b. same vocal POST message.

    Me: "Uh-oh, did ZipZoomFly sell me a bad CPU? This is not good,
    because they have a 30-day limit on returns, and I'm way past
    that."

    Could it be anything besides the CPU? Does Intel have an RMA
    process for P4's?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Steve Conover wrote:
    > One month ago, I was trying to assemble a new system, but
    > couldn't get past the vocal POST message "System failed due to
    > CPU overclocking." Help from several of you, and subsequent
    > step-by-step testing led me to conclude it was a faulty MB
    > (P4C800-E Deluxe).
    >
    > MB is back from its RMA trip; packing slip said "Problem: BIOS
    > Chksum Error BIOS version Error. Repair Result: Flash BIOS to
    > the lastest [sic] version."
    >
    > I thought, "That's good, they found and fixed the problem. Now
    > let's build my new, speedy system."
    >
    > Cautiously following the step-by-step process I'd learned before,
    > here's what happened:
    >
    > 1. (MB, PSU, Power switch): vocal POST says, "No CPU installed."
    >
    > Me: "OK, now install the CPU, Arctic Silver 5 goop, and heatsink,
    > then we're off and running."
    >
    > 2. (plus CPU+goop+heatsink): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU
    > test."
    >
    > Me: "Maybe it needs RAM to get past that one."
    >
    > 3a. (plus 1GB RAM): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU test."
    >
    > Me: "Maybe it's bad RAM; remove it, and try the cheap RAM I
    > bought last month when I thought it was bad RAM."
    >
    > 3b. same vocal POST message.
    >
    > Me: "Uh-oh, did ZipZoomFly sell me a bad CPU? This is not good,
    > because they have a 30-day limit on returns, and I'm way past
    > that."
    >
    > Could it be anything besides the CPU? Does Intel have an RMA
    > process for P4's?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve
    >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.

    Is the 2x2 ATX12V power connector plugged in ?

    That might be enough to stop it.

    "System failed CPU test" is based on a timer used
    by the Winbond Voice POST chip. The Voice POST chip
    has its own crude internal processor and executes a
    program stored in the same eight pin DIP chip, as the
    voice samples. The timer in the Voice POST chip can be
    set up by that code, and if it times out before the CPU
    wakes up and clears the timer, you get the System
    Failed CPU Test message. So anything which can delay
    the execution of BIOS code, would be enough to prevent
    the board from getting past that voice message.

    Another example of a possible problem, would be a
    stuck reset switch. The board does not need a
    reset switch to work, so you can disconnect it. If
    the reset switch is stuck in the depressed ON position,
    it leaves the board in reset, and that might be enough
    to do it. (But, you would think a stuck reset would
    also stop the Winbond chip to, so maybe this is
    a dumb idea.)

    I don't know of an easy way to be able to tell whether
    the processor is doing anything or not. If you owned
    a BIOS POST card (a PCI/ISA card with two digit hex
    display on it), you could check to see if the processor
    is writing to port 80. Other than that, you would need
    to see visible signs of life, like drives being
    accessed, or the video card waking up etc.

    You don't mention what kind of processor you've got, but
    if the board were to have an older BIOS in it, and you
    had a Prescott or a Celeron D, it could be the BIOS
    doesn't support the processor. You can find out what
    combinations work on the cpusupport web page:

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    If the slip in the box said the BIOS was updated, you
    have no way of knowing whether that was done or not. Since
    it sounds like you didn't send back the processor with the
    motherboard, how do they know what they are fixing ?
    Maybe you can assume that if there is a paper label stuck
    on the BIOS chip, then that is the version of BIOS you've
    got. Consult the cpusupport web page based on the paper
    label, and see if the combo of processor and BIOS will
    work.

    If you have a spare P4 processor, test the motherboard with
    that. If the board will run with a spare P4, then it means
    your Zipzoomfly processor hasn't killed the board. And,
    that means you could take the Zipzoomfly processor to a
    friend's house, and test it on another motherboard, assuming
    you don't have a mobo to test the processor with.

    Unless you've zapped the new processor with static, or broken
    a pin off, it is highly unlikely the new processor is busted.
    I assume if the processor is a retail boxed unit, that the
    plastic packaging was intact, and the seals were still on it.
    If so, then the odds of the processor being dead are like
    10000:1 . This is more likely to still be a BIOS problem,
    and the slip in the box could be a lot of BS. If you can get
    the board to run with another P4 (a Northwood, for example),
    then you can flash the board up to the latest BIOS yourself.

    HTH,
    Paul
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Steve Conover wrote:
    > One month ago, I was trying to assemble a new system, but
    > couldn't get past the vocal POST message "System failed due to
    > CPU overclocking." Help from several of you, and subsequent
    > step-by-step testing led me to conclude it was a faulty MB
    > (P4C800-E Deluxe).
    >
    > MB is back from its RMA trip; packing slip said "Problem: BIOS
    > Chksum Error BIOS version Error. Repair Result: Flash BIOS to
    > the lastest [sic] version."
    >
    > I thought, "That's good, they found and fixed the problem. Now
    > let's build my new, speedy system."
    >
    > Cautiously following the step-by-step process I'd learned before,
    > here's what happened:
    >
    > 1. (MB, PSU, Power switch): vocal POST says, "No CPU installed."
    >
    > Me: "OK, now install the CPU, Arctic Silver 5 goop, and heatsink,
    > then we're off and running."
    >
    > 2. (plus CPU+goop+heatsink): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU
    > test."
    >
    > Me: "Maybe it needs RAM to get past that one."
    >
    > 3a. (plus 1GB RAM): vocal POST says, "System failed CPU test."
    >
    > Me: "Maybe it's bad RAM; remove it, and try the cheap RAM I
    > bought last month when I thought it was bad RAM."
    >
    > 3b. same vocal POST message.
    >
    > Me: "Uh-oh, did ZipZoomFly sell me a bad CPU? This is not good,
    > because they have a 30-day limit on returns, and I'm way past
    > that."
    >
    > Could it be anything besides the CPU? Does Intel have an RMA
    > process for P4's?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    If it's a Boxed (retail) processor, Intel should honer the three (3)
    year warranty directly through Intel by following the instructions in
    your enclosed warranty booklet, however, if it's an OEM/Tray processor
    any warranty available would be handled directly through your retailer
    or place of purchase:

    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/warranty/qna.htm

    Steven
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Paul,

    Thanks a lot for your help. Although I did discover <blush> that
    I had failed to plug in the 2x2 12V connector, after doing that
    and adding the memory, it's now back to the vocal POST message
    "System failed due to CPU overclocking."

    Any idea what triggers the overclocking POST message?

    (The processor is a 2.8GHz P4; came in a retail box.)

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Paul <nospam@needed.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >that. If the board will run with a spare P4, then it means
    >your Zipzoomfly processor hasn't killed the board. And,
    >that means you could take the Zipzoomfly processor to a
    >friend's house, and test it on another motherboard, assuming
    >you don't have a mobo to test the processor with.
    >
    >Unless you've zapped the new processor with static, or broken
    >a pin off, it is highly unlikely the new processor is busted.
    >I assume if the processor is a retail boxed unit, that the
    >plastic packaging was intact, and the seals were still on it.
    >If so, then the odds of the processor being dead are like
    >10000:1 . This is more likely to still be a BIOS problem,
    >and the slip in the box could be a lot of BS. If you can get
    >the board to run with another P4 (a Northwood, for example),
    >then you can flash the board up to the latest BIOS yourself.

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <d86rn01u40f4abdrubcgv361f7rb8os7ms@4ax.com>, Steve Conover
    <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote:

    > Paul,
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your help. Although I did discover <blush> that
    > I had failed to plug in the 2x2 12V connector, after doing that
    > and adding the memory, it's now back to the vocal POST message
    > "System failed due to CPU overclocking."
    >
    > Any idea what triggers the overclocking POST message?
    >
    > (The processor is a 2.8GHz P4; came in a retail box.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    I don't really know for sure. It could be something simple,
    like a CMOS bit that is cleared at the beginning of the POST,
    and is set just as the computer starts to boot. If the
    BIOS code doesn't run to completion, then the value of the
    bit can be checked at the beginning of the next POST, at
    which time the overclocking message will be given. Many
    of the Voice POST messages are commanded by the processor,
    and only a few run via the timer, or by an actual hardware
    signal to the Winbond chip.

    Something is preventing the BIOS from completing properly,
    that is about all that can be concluded from the message.
    Stripping the computer down to the minimum amount of
    hardware, is as close as you'll get to isolating what
    is causing it. And, swapping processor and RAM, is an
    expensive option. It is times like this that you need
    a well stocked junk parts cabinet. (I had one build
    where I bought duplicates of everything except the
    motherboard :-(

    If you had a PCI/ISA POST card (the one with a two
    digit hex display), you can watch the routine numbers
    flash by, and there are tables available, that map the
    Port 80 codes sent to the POST card, to routines
    in the BIOS. A POST card can be had pretty cheaply
    from Ebay now, as some traders sell batches of them
    new on Ebay. At one time, POST cards were expensive,
    considering the low tech chips on the card. The POST
    card is useful if the BIOS runs for a few seconds and
    then stops dead - if the board is bootable, then the
    info is useless. (POST cards are good for faults where
    the machine gets stuck.)

    The "system failed" message is reporting what the board
    thinks happened on the _last_ POST, and not the
    current one. The presumption is the board crashed on the
    last BIOS POST, and the BIOS is using safe values on
    the current boot, to allow you to enter the BIOS and
    "fix' the overclocking problem. I have an A7N8X-E that
    will report this from boot cycle to boot cycle, and the
    board still works. On that board, for me, the presence
    of the message indicates something is still not right
    with the board, and if I am overclocking, it means I
    am probably pushing the board too far - note that in
    my case, it doesn't prevent me from using the board.
    I think some people's Intel boards are the same way,
    you can be getting that message and still use the
    board with no problems. The message doesn't guarantee
    you've got a problem, and I would treat it as a gentle
    hint that something isn't right.

    If you can successfully boot the board, run memtest86 from
    memtest.org to test for solid faults in the memory, then
    boot into Windows and run Prime95 (mersenne.org) to test
    for pattern sensitivity in the memory, or problems with
    the processor and/or Northbridge on the motherboard. A
    benchmark like 3DMark is good for accelerating video card
    or AGP slot problems.

    Those kinds of tests are the things you can run, to determine
    whether the "System failed..." message indicates a real
    problem or not.

    HTH,
    Paul
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Problem solved. It was a bad motherboard; I bought another
    identical motherboard today at Fry's, took it one step at a time
    with no problems, and I just made it through the BIOS setup.
    Tomorrow I'll load the OS (XP).

    Thanks to all who helped me diagnose this situation over the last
    month or so, especially Paul.

    Kinda ticks me off that ASUS' RMA process not only failed to
    discover that the first mb was bad, but also that they reported
    the problem "solved" after flashing the latest BIOS.

    ASUS will be hearing from me on this fiasco soon, and so will
    ZipZoomFly. (I paid ZZF $174 in return for a piece of junk and
    thirty-plus days of frustration.) Buying two motherboards to get
    one that works was not on my agenda or in my budget this year; I
    guess I should be thankful it wasn't the processor.

    Thanks again, folks.
    Steve

    Delete the ZZZ.
    It keeps spam
    off the server.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Steve Conover <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message news:<o2e3o05pv00128c7v4uinbsqem03ck983l@4ax.com>...
    > Problem solved. It was a bad motherboard; I bought another
    > identical motherboard today at Fry's, took it one step at a time
    > with no problems, and I just made it through the BIOS setup.
    > Tomorrow I'll load the OS (XP).
    >
    > Thanks to all who helped me diagnose this situation over the last
    > month or so, especially Paul.
    >
    > Kinda ticks me off that ASUS' RMA process not only failed to
    > discover that the first mb was bad, but also that they reported
    > the problem "solved" after flashing the latest BIOS.
    >
    > ASUS will be hearing from me on this fiasco soon, and so will
    > ZipZoomFly. (I paid ZZF $174 in return for a piece of junk and
    > thirty-plus days of frustration.) Buying two motherboards to get
    > one that works was not on my agenda or in my budget this year; I
    > guess I should be thankful it wasn't the processor.
    >
    > Thanks again, folks.
    > Steve
    >

    > Delete the ZZZ.
    > It keeps spam
    > off the server.

    Thank You Steve,
    ....and Paul,
    For posting this complete, clear, running commentary on this problem
    and it's solution. It is so pleasant to read the logical progression
    and solution of the issue even though I have not had this problem
    myself. This thread will remain with me for some time to come.
    Thanks again.
    MapMaker

Asus BIOS Motherboards