Hard drive controller

TAB

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have an Asus P3F-B motherboard with a Maxtor hard drive controller for
Ultra 100 ATA. I run Win XP Pro. I am trying to find a hard drive
controller that does not use the "F6" drivers. Is there such an animal?

Thanks in advance for the help.

"Tab" <ta.snyder@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>I have an Asus P3F-B motherboard with a Maxtor hard drive controller for
> Ultra 100 ATA. I run Win XP Pro. I am trying to find a hard drive
> controller that does not use the "F6" drivers. Is there such an animal?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.

You can make a slip streamed disk like Byron said,
Which would be the easiest thing to do. If that doesn't
work you could follow this guide.
http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/gettingstarted.htm
Its explains how to build an unattened CD with
all your drivers included.

Jim M

I believe that the maxtor ata controller card is actually made by promise.
xp already has drivers built in for the promise ata pci controller card as I
use one myself without having to install any drivers.
cheers

"Tab" <ta.snyder@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>I have an Asus P3F-B motherboard with a Maxtor hard drive controller for
> Ultra 100 ATA. I run Win XP Pro. I am trying to find a hard drive
> controller that does not use the "F6" drivers. Is there such an animal?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.

Correct me if I am wrong:

you are trying to boot from a hard drive connected to a PCI ATA-100 card.
Right??

What you may need to do (without going to the trouble of using a driver
floppy (F6) all the time) is make yourself a XP Service pack 2 install CD
(slipstreamed) .

I have found it works really well with my SATA boot drive, which normally
requires a driver disc.

Basically all you need to do is get a copy of XP service pack 2, copy all
the files off your WinXP install disc to a directory on your computer, get
the service pack to update files in the directory, and burn the files back
onto a CD. Full step-by-step instructions can be found at
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

Hope this helps - it really made my life easier.

Bryon