P5AD2 Power Supply Question

Hi,

I have a THERMALTAKE Silent PSU with PFC 480W Silver power supply that I'm
hoping I can use with the P5AD2 motherboard.
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001011.htm

The powersupply has a 20 pin connector. The motherboard has 24 pins. I'm
aware from another thread that it is possible to use the 20 pin connector
with the 24 pins on the P5AD2. Given the below configuration would it be
better to buy a newer 24 pin power supply?

ASUS P5AD2
Intel P4 560 3.6
Corsair 4 x 512 mb DDR2 (667)
Western Digital 2 x 74 gb SATA 10,000 rpm
Nvidia 6800 Ultra pci-express (when I can get my grubby hands on one)
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Leadtek TV2000XP "Expert" pci anaolg capture
LG 8x DVDR
Floppy

Please advise if the above configuration will run stable with the
Thermaltake 480 20 pin power supply.
7 answers Last reply
More about p5ad2 power supply question

    I think the 24pin connector is only mandatory when you are using high end
    pci-express cards without using the external power connector on the video
    card.

    If the PCI-x16 card has an external power connector and you use it, you
    should be OK.

    Bryon

    "duglas" <none@there.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a THERMALTAKE Silent PSU with PFC 480W Silver power supply that I'm
    > hoping I can use with the P5AD2 motherboard.
    > http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001011.htm
    >
    > The powersupply has a 20 pin connector. The motherboard has 24 pins. I'm
    > aware from another thread that it is possible to use the 20 pin connector
    > with the 24 pins on the P5AD2. Given the below configuration would it be
    > better to buy a newer 24 pin power supply?
    >
    > ASUS P5AD2
    > Intel P4 560 3.6
    > Corsair 4 x 512 mb DDR2 (667)
    > Western Digital 2 x 74 gb SATA 10,000 rpm
    > Nvidia 6800 Ultra pci-express (when I can get my grubby hands on one)
    > Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    > Leadtek TV2000XP "Expert" pci anaolg capture
    > LG 8x DVDR
    > Floppy
    >
    > Please advise if the above configuration will run stable with the
    > Thermaltake 480 20 pin power supply.

    [snip]
    >> Please advise if the above configuration will run stable with the
    >> Thermaltake 480 20 pin power supply.
    [snip]
    > If the PCI-x16 card has an external power connector and you use it, you
    > should be OK.

    Cheers for the speedy response Bryon :o)
    As the vid cards aren't in Australia now (That I'm aware of) I'm not sure
    if it will have an external power connector. I think I might grab one of
    the Antec power supplies with the 24 pin connectors so I don't have any
    issues on build day or in the future.

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:08:26 +0000, duglas wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> Please advise if the above configuration will run stable with the
    >>> Thermaltake 480 20 pin power supply.
    > [snip]
    >> If the PCI-x16 card has an external power connector and you use it, you
    >> should be OK.
    >
    > Cheers for the speedy response Bryon :o)
    > As the vid cards aren't in Australia now (That I'm aware of) I'm not sure
    > if it will have an external power connector. I think I might grab one of
    > the Antec power supplies with the 24 pin connectors so I don't have any
    > issues on build day or in the future.

    Seems thermaltake have a 20-24 pin cable adaptor.

    http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/a2169AdaptorCable.htm

    careful - I recently bought a Tagan TG480-U01 power supply and it came with
    a 20-24 adaptor, they are only good if you have a 24 pin power supply and
    want to hook up to a 20 pin mobo.

    Wrong way around unfortunately!!

    In article <41502703$0$24402$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,
    "Bryon van Prooyen" <bryonvp@not.here> wrote:

    > careful - I recently bought a Tagan TG480-U01 power supply and it came with
    > a 20-24 adaptor, they are only good if you have a 24 pin power supply and
    > want to hook up to a 20 pin mobo.
    >
    > Wrong way around unfortunately!!

    That one looks OK. It has the right polarity for 24 pin on the
    motherboard end.

    The only thing strange about that one, is the 24pin connector is
    missing the -5V wire. If you take the two JPG images of the
    ends of the cable into Photoshop and zoom in, the fifth pin down
    is missing on the 24pin connector. I don't think that is a big
    deal, it is just a bit strange. (There really isn't a reason to
    use -5V any more.)

    Still, I would recommend buying a supply with the 24 pin connector
    if you can find it. Using an adapter cable increases the voltage
    drop between the PSU and motherboard, and in the case of the remote
    sense wires (usually on +3.3V, on Antec Truepower used on three
    supplies), the remote sense will stop at the end of the first cable,
    which means the drop in the adapter cable is not compensated for.
    The proper 24 pin will also make for a neater install.

    By the way, the way they would be wiring the adapter cable, doesn't
    actually eliminate the "pin burning" problem. The adapter will have
    two wires stuffed onto one pin of the 20 pin connector, for the +12V
    signal. The +12V is the whole reason for wanting a 24 pin power
    supply. Since two wires go into the one pin, all the current for those
    two wires go through the +12V pin on the 20 pin end of the adapter.
    That means you have the potential to melt the end of the adapter
    that plugs into the PSU (metaphorically speaking). Since the current
    level expected with the current generation of video cards, is right
    up to the limits of one pin, I don't think it is as bad as all that
    (might get warm, won't melt). PCI Express +12V limit on the video
    slot is 5.5 amps, plus Asus runs the fan connectors off the same
    +12V. The single pin limit on ATX 20 pin is 6A. A video card
    manufacturer will not run the pins on the video slot at their limits,
    and the IXBT article had 4.8 amps on one card's +12V. So, there
    probably isn't imminent danger using the adapter. It is just ugly.
    Moving the chassis fans to run off a Molex disk drive power
    connector will help. You could do the same with the CPU fan,
    if you can figure out how to adapt it.

    Paul

    > "duglas" <none@there.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:08:26 +0000, duglas wrote:
    > >
    > > > [snip]
    > > > [snip]
    > > >
    > > > Cheers for the speedy response Bryon :o)
    > > > As the vid cards aren't in Australia now (That I'm aware of) I'm not
    > sure
    > > > if it will have an external power connector. I think I might grab one of
    > > > the Antec power supplies with the 24 pin connectors so I don't have any
    > > > issues on build day or in the future.
    > >
    > > Seems thermaltake have a 20-24 pin cable adaptor.
    > >
    > > http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/a2169AdaptorCable.htm

    I think I might grab one of
    > the Antec power supplies with the 24 pin connectors so I don't have any
    > issues on build day or in the future.

    Will this be ok?
    TRUE550 EPS12V
    http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20551

    You may be referring to my earlier thread on this topic. Just to let you
    know, I built my new machine last week with a P5AD2 motherboard and a 500W
    20-pin power supply (no adapter or anything), and I've had no power-related
    issues as of yet.

    My current setup:

    Asus P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard
    Intel P4 530 3.0GHz
    Aspire 500W power supply
    Kingston ValueRAM DDR2-533 1 GB
    Western Digital 2x 250 GB SATA 7200 RPM in RAID 1 configuration
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon X600 XT PCI-Express video card (doesn't have a separate
    power connector)
    NEC 16x Double Layer DVD+/-RW drive (ND-3500A)
    Lite-On 52x32x52x16x Combo CD-RW/DVD drive
    Floppy drive
    (using onboard sound, LAN)

    From my experience thus far, the one thing I'd suggest is that you
    definitely invest in good CPU cooling. I started out with the stock
    heatsink/fan, and am planning to upgrade, as the 3.0 GHz Prescott runs warm,
    and heats up quickly under moderate to heavy load. It hasn't cause any
    problems for me yet, but I would like to see lower temperatures. I'm sure
    this will be even more of an issue with the 3.6 GHz version..

Asus Power Supplies Thermaltake Motherboards