Bootable CDROM for BIOS update?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like updating
the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other basic fonctions
to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to know where to go to
get the steps.

Thanks, Ray.
60 answers Last reply
More about bootable cdrom bios update
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" wrote in message
    >
    > "povmec" wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose,
    >> like updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test,
    >> or any other basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads? If
    >> yes, I would like to know where to go to get the steps.
    >
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/flashcd.txt
    > http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm

    Many thanks, http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ seems to have what I'm looking for.

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    > "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >> Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >> updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >> basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?
    >
    > A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.

    My mistake, I meant XP, not OS.

    > And always ask yourself why you want to update BIOS. If it ain't broke,
    > don't fix it. Don't do it just because you _can_.

    True, I read these horror stories, I don't really want to update at this
    point in time. I just want to have an emergency CD that contains everything
    I could need in case of badluck. Also, if ever I decide to upgrade to a
    Prescott CPU, I won't have choice to upgrade my BIOS, the one installed on
    my MB doesn't support these new P4s.

    > Here's a free program to check your memory. It creates a bootable floppy
    > with its own OS.

    My "problem" (by choice) is that I didn't install a floppy in the computers
    I built (for our own usage). I have a floppy drive ready to be used in case
    of emergency, but I don't like the idea of having one installed permanently
    especially that it doesn't have much purpose anymore aside these basic
    operations. Since it seems possible to boot DOS from a CD, I guess a floppy
    has even less purpose now.

    To all:

    Now before burning the CD, I'm trying to put together everything is nice to
    have on a bootable DOS disk for emergency or testing purpose. I collected
    the latest few BIOS and matching AFUDOS for my motherboard (PC4800-E-DLX),
    memtest86. What else would be smart to include on the CD before burning it?

    Thanks, Ray.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in message
    news:2rblr5F153a17U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    updating
    > the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other basic
    fonctions
    > to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to know where to go to
    > get the steps.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/flashcd.txt
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
    http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    > Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    > updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    > basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?

    A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.

    AFUDOS should be used from a DOS prompt, not from a command window under
    a Windows OS.

    Start in safe mode and go to "prompt only" and the result is the same.
    If you screw up your BIOS, you won't be able to boot anything, neither a
    hard disk with an OS nor a bootable CD-Rom.

    And always ask yourself why you want to update BIOS. If it ain't broke,
    don't fix it. Don't do it just because you _can_.

    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

    Here's a free program to check your memory. It creates a bootable floppy
    with its own OS.

    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956C12D8256Bceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.84...
    > "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >> Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >> updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >> basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?
    >
    > A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.

    That depends on what image you burn to the CD.
    You can burn an image of a bootable floppy and
    the CD will boot and act like your floppy.

    Jim M
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    JBM wrote:

    > "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:Xns956C12D8256Bceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.84...
    >
    >>"povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    >>alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >>>updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >>>basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?
    >>
    >>A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.
    >
    >
    > That depends on what image you burn to the CD.
    > You can burn an image of a bootable floppy and
    > the CD will boot and act like your floppy.
    >
    > Jim M

    To be more specific, it will boot and act like your floppy behaves *when
    the floppy is write-protected* - this can be an important qualifier if
    programs expect to be able to modify their configuration files, create
    temp files, etc.

    P2B
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Use nero to make a bootable cd

    it will copy the files from a floppy you provide.www.bootdisk.com if u dont
    have one......just use a win98 one

    then add your flash prog to the nero compilation.plus your bios file of
    course!!

    burn your disc

    when u want to boot from it go into bios and change 1st boot device to cd
    rom and reboot


    "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in message
    news:2rblr5F153a17U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    updating
    > the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other basic
    fonctions
    > to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to know where to go to
    > get the steps.
    >
    > Thanks, Ray.
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    CeeBee wrote:
    > "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    >>Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >>updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >>basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?
    >
    >
    > A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.
    >
    > AFUDOS should be used from a DOS prompt, not from a command window under
    > a Windows OS.
    >

    Uhh, CeeBee just in case you missed it, DOS /is/ an OS.

    for the OP, almost all new linux distributions, on disc1 have the
    memtest program, you can boot your machine and test the ram without
    installing anything, i think there is even a memtest86 mini-cd sized iso
    for burning, to automate doing it on multiple machines.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    povmec wrote:

    [snip]

    > To all:
    >
    > Now before burning the CD, I'm trying to put together everything is nice to
    > have on a bootable DOS disk for emergency or testing purpose. I collected
    > the latest few BIOS and matching AFUDOS for my motherboard (PC4800-E-DLX),
    > memtest86. What else would be smart to include on the CD before burning it?

    Note that memtest86 is standalone (kernel is Linux IIRC), i.e. it does
    not run under DOS. If you want a CD that can boot DOS or memtest86, it
    will need at least two boot images and a boot catalog.

    I have always built multi-boot CDs by hand, using a hex editor while
    keeping a hardcopy of the El-Torito specification close by (since I'm
    not aware of any Windows-based software which can do the job), but the
    results have usually been disappointing because very few motherboard
    BIOSes fully support El-Torito - most can handle 1.44MB floppy emulation
    and custom emulation as used on Microsoft OS installation discs, but
    very few properly support hard disk emulation, 2.88MB floppy emulation,
    or multiple boot images.

    Adaptec's SCSI BIOS could reasonably be considered a reference El-Torito
    implementation - but few systems have a SCSI CD-ROM on an Adaptec host
    adapter available these days, so IMHO multi-boot CDs are rarely worth
    the trouble.

    P2B
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956C12D8256Bceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.84...
    > "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    > > Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    > > updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    > > basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?
    >
    > A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.

    YAH, like DOS from where you flash...ya know AFUDOS.

    > AFUDOS should be used from a DOS prompt, not from a command window under
    > a Windows OS.

    Catch UP!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    >
    > "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:Xns956C12D8256Bceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.84...
    >> "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    >> alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >>> updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >>> basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?
    >>
    >> A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.
    >
    > That depends on what image you burn to the CD.
    > You can burn an image of a bootable floppy and
    > the CD will boot and act like your floppy.


    That's true, however not the point of my response.
    The OP wanted to create it "to be run before the OS loads", especially for
    updating BIOS etc.
    Of course booting over a CD Rom or any bootable media _will_ load an OS.
    He probably meant: "before the Windows GUI starts".


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956C15404C85Bceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.67...
    > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >>
    >> "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    >> news:Xns956C12D8256Bceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.84...
    >>> "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in
    >>> alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >>>
    >>>> Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >>>> updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >>>> basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads?
    >>>
    >>> A "bootable" CD Rom loads the OS, so not much gain there.
    >>
    >> That depends on what image you burn to the CD.
    >> You can burn an image of a bootable floppy and
    >> the CD will boot and act like your floppy.
    >
    >
    > That's true, however not the point of my response.
    > The OP wanted to create it "to be run before the OS loads", especially for
    > updating BIOS etc.
    > Of course booting over a CD Rom or any bootable media _will_ load an OS.
    > He probably meant: "before the Windows GUI starts".
    >
    >
    > --
    > CeeBee
    >
    >
    > "I don't know half of you
    > half as well as I should like;
    > and I like less than half of you
    > half as well as you deserve."

    What else could he have ment? He was asking if he could
    boot with a CDrom to flash the bios and I thought you
    were saying it couldn't be done.

    Jim M
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message

    > And always ask yourself why you want to update BIOS. If it ain't broke,
    > don't fix it. Don't do it just because you _can_.

    That's bad advice. Always flash the latest BIOS carefully. New BIOSs
    always contain much more than what the indicated changes are such as later
    versions of CPU microcode. With a modest attention to detail there is a
    very small risk.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    povmec wrote:

    > To all:
    >
    > Now before burning the CD, I'm trying to put together everything is nice to
    > have on a bootable DOS disk for emergency or testing purpose. I collected
    > the latest few BIOS and matching AFUDOS for my motherboard (PC4800-E-DLX),
    > memtest86. What else would be smart to include on the CD before burning it?
    >
    > Thanks, Ray.
    >
    >


    Hmm, I'd recommend:

    1. AutoPatcher latest release (AutoPatcherXP_Aug04_Full.exe is about 290MB)

    This contains directx 9c, the net framework, all your hotfixes etc, in
    case you have to reinstall windows anytime, its nice to have those
    patches offline.

    2. ZoneAlarm free edition

    3. a free AV program (AVG etc) and its latest definition file (they
    normally have listed in the 'how do I manually update my AV' section of
    their FAQ)

    4. Always nice to toss drivers for your hardware on as well, mine has
    AFUDOS, the 1016 bios file, the intel chipset drivers, the intel NIC
    driver, all the ATI multimediacenter/dvd codec/catalyst 4.9's files, the
    drivers for my Audigy.

    5. misc stuff to toss on if you have room:

    the latest Adobe reader redist (AdbeRdr602_distrib_enu.exe 36MB), so you
    can open PDF's

    the latest mozilla (I just used thunderbird/firefox, not the suite),
    openoffice, WinRAR/ZIP/ACE your choice for archives, and a IM program (I
    use trillian as it supports multiple protocols)

    I build a SystemDVD :) I have a larger upper limit, still waiting till I
    can find at least 2.5G worth of stuff, only at 1.3G so far including a
    bunch of utilities and backups of documents.....
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Well, keep this in mind:

    In general, the CD will only run MS-DOS, not Windows.

    More to the point, because of the above, if the hard drive is NTFS, the
    bootable CD-ROM won't even be able see/access the hard drive -- AT ALL.

    There's nothing wrong with having the CD, and it's a fine way to reflash
    a BIOS, as far as that goes. But understand the limitations (one of
    which is you won't be able to save the old BIOS on the CD).

    Microsoft's "recovery console" is essentially a 7 megabyte version of
    MS-DOS that has NTFS support (read and write, providing that no
    permissions are restricted and no encryption is set). However, I don't
    know how to get that onto a bootable CD, although I'm sure that it is
    possible.


    povmec wrote:

    > Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like updating
    > the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other basic fonctions
    > to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to know where to go to
    > get the steps.
    >
    > Thanks, Ray.
    >
    >
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > Well, keep this in mind:
    >
    > In general, the CD will only run MS-DOS, not Windows.

    Several recipes for booting Windows from read-only media have been
    published, but I agree - in general they are severely limited in capability.

    > More to the point, because of the above, if the hard drive is NTFS, the
    > bootable CD-ROM won't even be able see/access the hard drive -- AT ALL.

    True, unless you have an NTFSDOS or ERD Commander license - or have
    figured out how to port a standalone version of the Recovery Console.

    > There's nothing wrong with having the CD, and it's a fine way to reflash
    > a BIOS, as far as that goes. But understand the limitations (one of
    > which is you won't be able to save the old BIOS on the CD).

    That's where NTFSDOS comes in handy - save the old BIOS to the hard drive.

    > Microsoft's "recovery console" is essentially a 7 megabyte version of
    > MS-DOS that has NTFS support (read and write, providing that no
    > permissions are restricted and no encryption is set). However, I don't
    > know how to get that onto a bootable CD, although I'm sure that it is
    > possible.

    Sure about that? My understanding is the Recovery Console uses the NT
    kernel (i.e. it's essentially Microsoft's version of ERD Commander), and
    therefore is not an option for both saving the original BIOS and
    flashing an update. In any case, porting it to a bootable CD is quite a
    challenge since you must use custom emulation to accomodate the size of
    the image.

    P2B

    > povmec wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >> updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >> basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to
    >> know where to go to get the steps.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Ray.
    >>
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    > That's bad advice. Always flash the latest BIOS carefully. New BIOSs
    > always contain much more than what the indicated changes are such as
    > later versions of CPU microcode.

    It remains to be seen if my advice is "bad advice". At least your advice
    is not the advice of the manufacturer of your motherboard: they
    specifically tell you to update your BIOS only if it's _necessary_.

    To be more precise, ASUS tells you in Engrish:

    "Updating the BIOS only if you have problems and you are sure that the
    new BIOS revision will solve your problems. Careless updating may result
    to more problems with the motherboard!"
    (http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/bios/intro.aspx)

    > With a modest attention to detail
    > there is a very small risk.

    If you follow newsgroups about motherboards on a daily basis and read
    the numerous accounts of BIOS flashes gone haywire, you'll see how high
    that risk _really_ is.


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956C3033EFF4Dceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.83...
    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    > > That's bad advice. Always flash the latest BIOS carefully. New BIOSs
    > > always contain much more than what the indicated changes are such as
    > > later versions of CPU microcode.
    >
    > It remains to be seen if my advice is "bad advice".

    Always flash the latest BIOS carefully.

    > At least your advice
    > is not the advice of the manufacturer of your motherboard: they
    > specifically tell you to update your BIOS only if it's _necessary_.

    No, the first thing that happens most often when you call tech support is
    "do you have the latest BIOS?". The same happens for debugging most any
    other problem. Get ahead of that curve and get the latest stuff BEFORE a
    problem comes up and then you wont wonder nor have to deal with flashing in
    the middle of some other problem.

    Creaful flashing has very LOW risk.

    > To be more precise, ASUS tells you in Engrish:
    >
    > "Updating the BIOS only if you have problems and you are sure that the
    > new BIOS revision will solve your problems.

    They all do that to minimize their potential tech support load but as soon
    as anything happens then it's the first thing they want you to do.

    > Careless updating may result
    > to more problems with the motherboard!"
    > (http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/bios/intro.aspx)

    Giant meteroid impact could also result in unfortunate consequences.

    In most cases a problem flash can be rocovered from. The risk is low.
    Mobos are not that expensive. Debugging time is expensive.

    > > With a modest attention to detail
    > > there is a very small risk.
    >
    > If you follow newsgroups about motherboards on a daily basis and read
    > the numerous accounts of BIOS flashes gone haywire, you'll see how high
    > that risk _really_ is.

    Yes, it tells you the risk is next to ZERO if done carefully. Everyone
    knows that NG postings distill problems and there aren't that many reports.
    The VAST majority that have no problems don't come here and therefore post
    nothing. Anyone who has the wherewithall to find his/her way to this NG
    should be told to always flash the latest BIOS. That's been the rule of
    thumb amongst all the competent techies I know since 1980.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    > No, the first thing that happens most often when you call tech
    > support is "do you have the latest BIOS?".

    But why _do_ people call tech support? Exactly - when they have
    _problems_.

    And where did I state that you shouldn't flash BIOS if you have problems?
    Exactly. _Nowhere_.

    I said: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    I did _not_ say: "even when it's broke, don't _ever_ fix it".


    > Get ahead of that curve and get the
    > latest stuff BEFORE a problem comes up and then you wont wonder nor
    > have to deal with flashing in the middle of some other problem.

    If your system works properly on a daily basis, you won't experience
    problems - why would you? After all you didn't change anything.

    You're very convinced about the risk of BIOS flashing being "next to
    ZERO" as an argument to flash, so logically that means you're convinced
    that the risk you will run into problems with your current BIOS running
    smoothly on an unchanged configuration will be considerably bigger than
    that.

    There's no fact supporting your statement. The vast majority of PC users
    never flash their BIOS, and never run into hardware problems without
    changing their systems. All they do is push the on/off button, push the
    keys on the keyboard, and use their mouse. If they run into problems, it's
    _software_ problems.

    As soon as you start swapping components, you might decide to flash BIOS -
    either before swapping, or after running into problems.

    But that was not what I was talking about. As I stated clearly in my
    original message:

    >> And always ask yourself why you want to update BIOS. If it ain't broke,
    >> don't fix it. Don't do it just because you _can_.

    Flashing BIOS because you're changing configuration isn't "doing it
    because you can". It's doing it because you're changing configuration and
    have reasons to believe you might run into BIOS trouble.


    > Giant meteroid impact could also result in unfortunate consequences.

    But we were discussing BIOS flashing, not giant meteor impacts.

    BIOS flashing is a very common occurance. Are you implying that there are
    as many giant meteor impacts a year as BIOS flashes?

    Are you suggesting that there are on a yearly basis more people
    experiencing "unfortunate consequences" from giant meteor impacts than
    there are people experiencing "unfortunate consequences" from BIOS flashes
    thus making it a valid comparison?

    Even if the score in this newsgroup alone (a few in the last few days) is
    all there is, your statement about comparable risks has been proven
    invalid already.


    > Anyone who has the wherewithall to find
    > his/her way to this NG should be told to always flash the latest BIOS.

    Before you start repeating your beliefs like a mantra - and you have every
    right to do that- also remember to carefully read what I said.

    In your responses you talk about nothing but the need for BIOS flashes
    because of people encountering problems, people calling tech support - how
    interesting that might be - I wasn't talking about people with problems.


    > That's been the rule of thumb amongst all the competent techies I
    > know since 1980.

    Well, on a sidenote: given the reliability of home computer systems
    created and support by those "competent techies since 1980" that's hardly
    a recommendation in my opinion.


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    It would seem to me that there is a solution to this ("very few
    motherboard BIOSes fully support El-Torito - most can handle ... but
    very few properly support hard disk emulation, 2.88MB floppy emulation,
    or multiple boot images.").

    The CD boots a layer of code that totally ignores the BIOS and "takes
    over" the entire machine, using the bios only for hardware specific
    functions. That layer, in turn, could do all of the things that BIOS
    didn't.


    P2B wrote:
    >
    >
    > povmec wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> To all:
    >>
    >> Now before burning the CD, I'm trying to put together everything is
    >> nice to have on a bootable DOS disk for emergency or testing purpose.
    >> I collected the latest few BIOS and matching AFUDOS for my motherboard
    >> (PC4800-E-DLX), memtest86. What else would be smart to include on the
    >> CD before burning it?
    >
    >
    > Note that memtest86 is standalone (kernel is Linux IIRC), i.e. it does
    > not run under DOS. If you want a CD that can boot DOS or memtest86, it
    > will need at least two boot images and a boot catalog.
    >
    > I have always built multi-boot CDs by hand, using a hex editor while
    > keeping a hardcopy of the El-Torito specification close by (since I'm
    > not aware of any Windows-based software which can do the job), but the
    > results have usually been disappointing because very few motherboard
    > BIOSes fully support El-Torito - most can handle 1.44MB floppy emulation
    > and custom emulation as used on Microsoft OS installation discs, but
    > very few properly support hard disk emulation, 2.88MB floppy emulation,
    > or multiple boot images.
    >
    > Adaptec's SCSI BIOS could reasonably be considered a reference El-Torito
    > implementation - but few systems have a SCSI CD-ROM on an Adaptec host
    > adapter available these days, so IMHO multi-boot CDs are rarely worth
    > the trouble.
    >
    > P2B
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Its probably a good time about now to mention BartPE.

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    - Tim


    "P2B" <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    news:DE64d.14576$pA.1098213@news20.bellglobal.com...
    >
    >
    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >
    >> Well, keep this in mind:
    >>
    >> In general, the CD will only run MS-DOS, not Windows.
    >
    > Several recipes for booting Windows from read-only media have been
    > published, but I agree - in general they are severely limited in
    > capability.
    >
    >> More to the point, because of the above, if the hard drive is NTFS, the
    >> bootable CD-ROM won't even be able see/access the hard drive -- AT ALL.
    >
    > True, unless you have an NTFSDOS or ERD Commander license - or have
    > figured out how to port a standalone version of the Recovery Console.
    >
    >> There's nothing wrong with having the CD, and it's a fine way to reflash
    >> a BIOS, as far as that goes. But understand the limitations (one of
    >> which is you won't be able to save the old BIOS on the CD).
    >
    > That's where NTFSDOS comes in handy - save the old BIOS to the hard drive.
    >
    >> Microsoft's "recovery console" is essentially a 7 megabyte version of
    >> MS-DOS that has NTFS support (read and write, providing that no
    >> permissions are restricted and no encryption is set). However, I don't
    >> know how to get that onto a bootable CD, although I'm sure that it is
    >> possible.
    >
    > Sure about that? My understanding is the Recovery Console uses the NT
    > kernel (i.e. it's essentially Microsoft's version of ERD Commander), and
    > therefore is not an option for both saving the original BIOS and flashing
    > an update. In any case, porting it to a bootable CD is quite a challenge
    > since you must use custom emulation to accomodate the size of the image.
    >
    > P2B
    >
    >> povmec wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    >>> updating the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other
    >>> basic fonctions to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to
    >>> know where to go to get the steps.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Ray.
    >>>
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956CA4D98B26Fceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.67...
    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    > > No, the first thing that happens most often when you call tech
    > > support is "do you have the latest BIOS?".
    >
    > But why _do_ people call tech support? Exactly - when they have
    > _problems_.
    >
    > And where did I state that you shouldn't flash BIOS if you have problems?
    > Exactly. _Nowhere_.
    >
    > I said: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

    And I said with a BIOS you don't know if it's broke so always flash the
    latest mobo BIOS BEFORE any problem gets a chance to jump out. The recent
    case of SP2+Prescott+boothang proves my point.

    > I did _not_ say: "even when it's broke, don't _ever_ fix it".

    What you are now doing is diving deep into double talk and jibber.

    > > Get ahead of that curve and get the
    > > latest stuff BEFORE a problem comes up and then you wont wonder nor
    > > have to deal with flashing in the middle of some other problem.
    >
    > If your system works properly on a daily basis, you won't experience
    > problems - why would you? After all you didn't change anything.

    HUH?
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    > And I said with a BIOS you don't know if it's broke so always flash
    > the latest mobo BIOS BEFORE any problem gets a chance to jump out.


    Why would you be certain that the latetst BIOS version is _not_ "broke"?
    If you don't encounter problems with the previous BIOS, why would you be
    sure to not encounter problems with the new BIOS? Your logic is something
    special.


    > What you are now doing is diving deep into double talk and jibber.


    Either you really don't grasp why your response was no answer to what I
    said, or you simply want to fanatically make your point by ridiculing me,
    like whit the "giant meteor impact comparison".

    Why do you need to resort to such lousy methods to make your point? Can't
    you discuss normally? Without cheap incantations? Responding to the facts
    and arguments the other gives, and not by evading them obviously to spread
    your opinions as the new gospel?


    > HUH?


    Exactly. Brick walls and evangelists don't have ears to listen with.


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956DEEC760ECceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.67...
    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    > > And I said with a BIOS you don't know if it's broke so always flash
    > > the latest mobo BIOS BEFORE any problem gets a chance to jump out.
    >
    >
    > Why would you be certain that the latetst BIOS version is _not_ "broke"?
    > If you don't encounter problems with the previous BIOS, why would you be
    > sure to not encounter problems with the new BIOS? Your logic is something
    > special.

    No, my logic is how most competent PC techies have been operating for years
    now. Always install the latest device drivers, program updates and the
    mobo's BIOS is no different. No different from the fact that MS WANTS
    everyone to enable automatic updates. Keep current. Keep ahead of
    problems. Be in the best position to debug a problem if one arises. STAY
    CURRENT.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    > No, my logic is how most competent PC techies have been operating for
    > years now. Always install the latest device drivers, program updates
    > and the mobo's BIOS is no different. No different from the fact that
    > MS WANTS everyone to enable automatic updates. Keep current. Keep
    > ahead of problems. Be in the best position to debug a problem if one
    > arises. STAY CURRENT.


    Good. That's your gospel. I have no problem accepting that.

    Just don't present your beliefs as the best _factual_ action or as
    logic. Just present it as what it is: that what you firmly believe. You
    have that right.

    The advantage is that by presenting it as your personal religion you
    don't have counter other's facts with non-answers, or differing opinions
    with out-of-the-blue ridicule or condescending remarks.

    Happy flashing.

    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956D19A2844BFceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.67...
    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    > > No, my logic is how most competent PC techies have been operating for
    > > years now. Always install the latest device drivers, program updates
    > > and the mobo's BIOS is no different. No different from the fact that
    > > MS WANTS everyone to enable automatic updates. Keep current. Keep
    > > ahead of problems. Be in the best position to debug a problem if one
    > > arises. STAY CURRENT.

    I consider those running around saying oh no don't flash as you'll likely
    destroy your mobo as purveyors of malicious damaging nonsense...."oh no
    don't fix it if it ain't busted". Vary bad advice bordering on malicious
    and worthy of attack. To cover their ridiculous position they make up
    horror stories about bad effects.

    Just say NO! Just stay CURRENT!
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    <snip frothing and ranting>


    Just what we needed.
    Another Usenet kook enters the open road.


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <xkr4d.416072$OB3.360528@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:

    > "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
    > news:nospam-2209042216310001@192.168.1.177...
    >
    > > There are some people who have visited these
    > > forums before, and based on their history, it is obvious
    > > they are "computer phobic". They have an allergic reaction
    > > when they get near a computer, have low tolerance to frustration,
    > > and will always reach for the wrong control at the wrong time.
    >
    > Now starts the fairly tales I guess.
    >
    > > They will do something stupid, rather than post a question and
    > > wait for an answer. "I pulled out the plug, because it didn't
    > > look like it was flashing." For those people, the bar gets raised
    > > a lot higher,
    >
    > It's very easy to state all the necessary cautionary information is you have
    > a hot one in a thread. The can be done very easily WITHOUT contaminating
    > the overall message with general bad advice and falsehoods....like "if it
    > ain't broken don't fix it".

    I don't apply that rule very often. Most people who manage to post
    to USENET had to have some clues. It is just some people who ask
    questions here frequently, the first question you see is "should
    I flash the BIOS ? I'm bored", and if you don't write them a long
    diatribe weighing the pros and cons, a day later you'll see
    a post "my board won't boot and my screen is black. Can you help
    me ? I am going crazy (or somesuch designed to win them pity)".

    If you see a train wreck coming, you have to politely ask people
    like that, to step off the tracks :-)

    Are you aware, Ron, as to how many BIOS have been pulled by Asus,
    in a matter of days after their release ? How many BIOS have
    restrictions as to which flashing methods work and which ones don't ?
    How many boards have a ticking time bomb inside, when the initial
    release BIOS has a bad Crashfree module in it, that is guaranteed
    to kill the board the first time it is invoked ? The release
    quality has been going downhill, and that is not encouraging.
    Two releases of A7N8X BIOS were pulled in a row, due to problems.
    (You would think the first quality problem would alert them of
    the need for more care.) After that, what would you advise the
    owner of an Asus Nforce2 product to do, when the next BIOS after
    the two pulled ones appears ? Say a prayer ? User error is one
    issue, but the design errors by Asus also have to be taken into
    consideration when giving advice.

    If the quality of the flashing tools and testing quality of
    release BIOS improves, so will the tone of the average
    Google posting on the subject. If more manufacturers used
    dual BIOS chips, we wouldn't have any reservation about
    flashing, as you could bork the spare as much as you like.

    Paul
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    You could get shafted if the bios flash programs need to write to disk
    (CDROM) for any reason

    "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in message
    news:2rblr5F153a17U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    updating
    > the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other basic
    fonctions
    > to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to know where to go to
    > get the steps.
    >
    > Thanks, Ray.
    >
    >
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "John" <knight_js.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:4152edd2$0$10351$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
    >
    > You could get shafted

    "shafted"...not hardly.

    You might arrive at a situation where the full functionality is impaired
    because of the read only boot media. You will NOT end up with a bad flash
    due to that.

    > if the bios flash programs need to write to disk
    > (CDROM) for any reason
    >
    > "povmec" <raymond_hill@hotmailBLABLA.com> wrote in message
    > news:2rblr5F153a17U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > > Is it possible to create a bootable CDROM for various purpose, like
    > updating
    > > the BIOS using AFUDOS, or to run a memory test, or any other basic
    > fonctions
    > > to be run before the OS loads? If yes, I would like to know where to go
    to
    > > get the steps.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Ray.
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr." <stargazer.removetheobvious@cavtel.net> wrote in
    message news:iTU4d.3$Jm2.772@news.uswest.net...
    > Ron, Paul et al:
    > Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
    > DC)!
    > Only flash a BIOS to correct a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is
    > an old proverb.
    <snipped>

    I always keep my board flashed with the latest BIOS.
    To me it's more a matter of maintaining your system so it doesn't
    break.

    Jim M
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr." <stargazer.removetheobvious@cavtel.net> wrote in
    message news:iTU4d.3$Jm2.772@news.uswest.net...
    > Ron, Paul et al:
    > Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
    > DC)!
    > Only flash a BIOS to correct a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is
    > an old proverb. Years ago I had a board that needed a BIOS update to

    <snip>

    Small piece of advice - TRIM your postings...
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr. wrote:

    > Remember that with a new BIOS you are gamma testing the critter.
    > Peace,
    > Paul

    :)

    Gamma testing? that explains why the post messages changed after
    flashing my bios, now it says "Your CPU is making me angry, it won't
    like me when I'm angry"
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    > I always keep my board flashed with the latest BIOS.
    > To me it's more a matter of maintaining your system so it doesn't
    > break.

    A mobo doesn't "break" from an older version of bios. It might give
    problems with newer hardware if you install it.

    A mobo might however occasionaly "break" from a BIOS flash operation.

    That shouldn't withhold you from flashing to the latetst BIOS though,
    but the saying about not being "broken" and being not in need of
    repairing still holds. ;)


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956ED6BD63244ceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.83...
    > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    >> I always keep my board flashed with the latest BIOS.
    >> To me it's more a matter of maintaining your system so it doesn't
    >> break.
    >
    > A mobo doesn't "break" from an older version of bios. It might give
    > problems with newer hardware if you install it.
    >
    > A mobo might however occasionaly "break" from a BIOS flash operation.
    >
    > That shouldn't withhold you from flashing to the latetst BIOS though,
    > but the saying about not being "broken" and being not in need of
    > repairing still holds. ;)

    No it doesn't

    >
    >
    > --
    > CeeBee
    >
    >
    > "I don't know half of you
    > half as well as I should like;
    > and I like less than half of you
    > half as well as you deserve."
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    > No it doesn't

    Those are convincing arguments.


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956EE8944D366ceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.74...
    > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    >> No it doesn't
    >
    > Those are convincing arguments.

    I'm not trying to convince you.
    It would be a waste of my time.

    >
    >
    > --
    > CeeBee
    >
    >
    > "I don't know half of you
    > half as well as I should like;
    > and I like less than half of you
    > half as well as you deserve."
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:M_OdncD-z-cGo8ncRVn-rA@comcast.com...
    >
    > "Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr." <stargazer.removetheobvious@cavtel.net> wrote
    in
    > message news:iTU4d.3$Jm2.772@news.uswest.net...
    > > Ron, Paul et al:
    > > Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land
    (Washington,
    > > DC)!
    > > Only flash a BIOS to correct a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    is
    > > an old proverb.
    > <snipped>
    >
    > I always keep my board flashed with the latest BIOS.
    > To me it's more a matter of maintaining your system so it doesn't
    > break.

    Precisely. It's just like the latest device drivers and program updates.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956ED6BD63244ceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.83...
    > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    > > I always keep my board flashed with the latest BIOS.
    > > To me it's more a matter of maintaining your system so it doesn't
    > > break.
    >
    > A mobo doesn't "break" from an older version of bios. It might give
    > problems with newer hardware if you install it.

    NONSENSE. The odds are exactly the reverse of that.

    > A mobo might however occasionaly "break" from a BIOS flash operation.

    A gaint meteroid might get you too.

    > That shouldn't withhold you from flashing to the latetst BIOS though,
    > but the saying about not being "broken" and being not in need of
    > repairing still holds. ;)

    It most certainly does NOT hold.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:ovudnahZrui0FsncRVn-vQ@comcast.com...
    >
    > "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:Xns956EE8944D366ceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.74...
    > > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    > >
    > >
    > >> No it doesn't
    > >
    > > Those are convincing arguments.
    >
    > I'm not trying to convince you.
    > It would be a waste of my time.

    We've noticed that<g>. Logic and good practice evades a few.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Ron Reaugh wrote:
    > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:ovudnahZrui0FsncRVn-vQ@comcast.com...
    >
    >>"CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    >>news:Xns956EE8944D366ceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.74...
    >>
    >>>"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>No it doesn't
    >>>
    >>>Those are convincing arguments.
    >>
    >>I'm not trying to convince you.
    >>It would be a waste of my time.
    >
    >
    > We've noticed that<g>. Logic and good practice evades a few.

    This thread now seems to be about the merits of "Stay Current" vs. "If
    it ain't broke, don't fix it".

    I won't join that debate, other than to say I advocate preventive
    maintenance, but it seems to me there's a third, highly relevant, adage
    which has not been mentioned - "Don't make changes without a backout plan".

    Without pointing fingers, it appears the current state of BIOS update
    technology is such that an inordinate number of users manage to disable
    their hardware and are unable to recover short of spending time and
    money on a replacement BIOS chip.

    If all motherboards implemented a reliable dual-BIOS, I suspect your
    views would represent the majority.

    I recommend factoring in the price of a spare BIOS chip when making
    motherboard purchase decisions.

    Triffid
  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    > I'm not trying to convince you.
    > It would be a waste of my time.


    I have never ever considered the fact that flashing BIOS is actually a
    religion, elevated above discussion and real life facts, and leading to
    seizures and frothing by its believers if they encounter heathens.

    I thought it was just friggin' flashing some chip with a few zeroes and
    ones.


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956F6221F57Aceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.84...
    > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    > > I'm not trying to convince you.
    > > It would be a waste of my time.
    >
    >
    > I have never ever considered the fact that flashing BIOS is actually a
    > religion, elevated above discussion and real life facts, and leading to
    > seizures and frothing by its believers if they encounter heathens.
    >
    > I thought it was just friggin' flashing some chip with a few zeroes and
    > ones.

    The only philistine chant from the Ozarks in this thread has been:
    "don't fix it if it ain't busted."
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    >
    > "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote:
    >> A mobo doesn't "break" from an older version of bios. It might give
    >> problems with newer hardware if you install it.
    >
    > NONSENSE. The odds are exactly the reverse of that.


    Now I lose you completely.

    First you claim -up to a point where you lose control of your senses-
    that one _always_ should flash BIOS to the newest version to prevent
    problems, and here you claim that putting in newer hardware gives _less_
    chance on problems than with newer BIOS.

    You even call the statement that older versions of BIOS might give
    possible problems when you install new hardware "nonsense".

    Well, religious fanatics always make up the rules, and are seldomly
    interested in continuity, facts or logic. It's clearly no different with
    you.

    I have stumbled upon a religion. I'm sorry I hurted your god. I just
    thought we were discussing some software code for a chip soldered to a
    plastic plate in a computer. How mistaken could I be.


    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:


    > The only philistine chant from the Ozarks in this thread has been:
    > "don't fix it if it ain't busted."


    What kind of a weirdo is this guy? Is he a known usenet kook?

    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    JBM wrote:
    > "Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr." <stargazer.removetheobvious@cavtel.net>
    > wrote in message news:iTU4d.3$Jm2.772@news.uswest.net...
    >> Ron, Paul et al:
    >> Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land
    >> (Washington, DC)!
    >> Only flash a BIOS to correct a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix
    >> it is an old proverb.
    > <snipped>
    >
    > I always keep my board flashed with the latest BIOS.
    > To me it's more a matter of maintaining your system so it doesn't
    > break.
    >
    > Jim M

    I do as well, always have since I have been building my own pc's - a few
    years now.

    So far < knocking on wood> , never had a problem flashing the bios.


    --
    Don Burnette
  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956F88A0944Cceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.83...
    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    >
    > > The only philistine chant from the Ozarks in this thread has been:
    > > "don't fix it if it ain't busted."
    >
    >
    > What kind of a weirdo is this guy? Is he a known usenet kook?

    When you can't cut it technically then attack the poster...they always
    ultimately expose themselves.


    >
    > --
    > CeeBee
    >
    >
    > "I don't know half of you
    > half as well as I should like;
    > and I like less than half of you
    > half as well as you deserve."
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:

    > When you can't cut it technically then attack the poster...they always
    > ultimately expose themselves.

    No, it's slightly different with you and me. When _you_ can't cut it
    technically, _you_ twist my words and bend the original meaning to cater
    your own agenda.

    Don't you lecture me. A bit more critical about your _own_ behaviour,
    please.

    One doesn't cut religion technically, nor its fanatics and their
    dogma's. And as I already stated - you're free to your beliefs.
    I only wonder (and it might amaze you that I'm sincere) why people like
    you make such a fuss about an advice to think twice before performing a
    BIOS upgrade that might not be necessary.

    After all it is you who blowed your top and turned red before the eyes
    when your arguments and ideas where disputed.
    It makes my inquiry quite understandable: the way you react and behave
    _is_ typical of Usenet kooks, there's no doubt about that.

    So you're _not_ a Usenet kook. Good.

    But I still think the way you react to a simple message is plain weird.
    It's not reacting, it's overreacting. It's preposterous behaviour.

    --
    CeeBee


    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."
  48. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Wacko.

    "CeeBee" <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote in message
    news:Xns956F1CE8E8874ceebeechesterstartco@195.121.6.67...
    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
    > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus:
    >
    > > When you can't cut it technically then attack the poster...they always
    > > ultimately expose themselves.
    >
    > No, it's slightly different with you and me. When _you_ can't cut it
    > technically, _you_ twist my words and bend the original meaning to cater
    > your own agenda.
    >
    > Don't you lecture me. A bit more critical about your _own_ behaviour,
    > please.
    >
    > One doesn't cut religion technically, nor its fanatics and their
    > dogma's. And as I already stated - you're free to your beliefs.
    > I only wonder (and it might amaze you that I'm sincere) why people like
    > you make such a fuss about an advice to think twice before performing a
    > BIOS upgrade that might not be necessary.
    >
    > After all it is you who blowed your top and turned red before the eyes
    > when your arguments and ideas where disputed.
    > It makes my inquiry quite understandable: the way you react and behave
    > _is_ typical of Usenet kooks, there's no doubt about that.
    >
    > So you're _not_ a Usenet kook. Good.
    >
    > But I still think the way you react to a simple message is plain weird.
    > It's not reacting, it's overreacting. It's preposterous behaviour.
    >
    > --
    > CeeBee
    >
    >
    > "I don't know half of you
    > half as well as I should like;
    > and I like less than half of you
    > half as well as you deserve."
  49. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:h9adnXHgw7BXZsncRVn-pw@giganews.com...
    > JBM wrote:
    > > "Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr." <stargazer.removetheobvious@cavtel.net>
    > > wrote in message news:iTU4d.3$Jm2.772@news.uswest.net...
    > >> Ron, Paul et al:
    > >> Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land
    > >> (Washington, DC)!
    > >> Only flash a BIOS to correct a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix
    > >> it is an old proverb.
    > > <snipped>
    > >
    > > I always keep my board flashed with the latest BIOS.
    > > To me it's more a matter of maintaining your system so it doesn't
    > > break.
    > >
    > > Jim M
    >
    > I do as well, always have since I have been building my own pc's - a few
    > years now.
    >
    > So far < knocking on wood> , never had a problem flashing the bios.

    Most everyone I talk to who actually does work on PCs has been flashing
    regularly for years now. With modest competence and a little care it is
    quite safe.

    Only a few zealots are trying to create somekind of dogma for the masses and
    are purveying this nonsense about "don't fix it if it ain't busted".
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus BIOS Motherboards