Help! Sound Suddenly Died???

I have an Asus P4S800D with on-board Sound Max codec (ADI AD1980 SoundMAX
6-channel audio CODEC S/PDIF out interface).

My brother was playing a CD through the PC, and in an attempt for better
sound, I connected up the 5.1 system through the S/PDIF port. The cable was
already inserted in the port on the PC, and all I had to do was connect it
to the coax-in on the deocoder.... the sound stops. I tell him to turn the
music back on, but he hadn't done anything! Now there's no sound from
anywhere. Attempting to play audio files from the PC results in a message
'No audio hardware present, or it's not responding. I restarted the machine,
and now it tries to install drivers for a 'Multimedia Audio Controller'.
This is listed under 'other devices' in the device manager. I have no idea
what has happened, and I don't have this driver.

The only thing that I have/installed when setting up this machine was some
soundmax software, a configuration utility. I've attempted to re-install
this software, but now I'm greated with this message... 'Driver not found!
Reboot your system, and try again'. Not good!

Please help me! I'm totally lost! (Soundmax's website is also down - which
doesn't help)

Anybody know exactly what's going on? Have the driver I require, anything?!

Thanks, Chris.

"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
> I have an Asus P4S800D with on-board Sound Max codec (ADI AD1980 SoundMAX
> 6-channel audio CODEC S/PDIF out interface).
>
> My brother was playing a CD through the PC, and in an attempt for better
> sound, I connected up the 5.1 system through the S/PDIF port. The cable
was
> already inserted in the port on the PC, and all I had to do was connect it
> to the coax-in on the deocoder.... the sound stops. I tell him to turn the
> music back on, but he hadn't done anything! Now there's no sound from
> anywhere. Attempting to play audio files from the PC results in a message
> 'No audio hardware present, or it's not responding. I restarted the
machine,
> and now it tries to install drivers for a 'Multimedia Audio Controller'.
> This is listed under 'other devices' in the device manager. I have no idea
> what has happened, and I don't have this driver.
>
> The only thing that I have/installed when setting up this machine was some
> soundmax software, a configuration utility. I've attempted to re-install
> this software, but now I'm greated with this message... 'Driver not found!
> Reboot your system, and try again'. Not good!
>
> Please help me! I'm totally lost! (Soundmax's website is also down - which
> doesn't help)
>
> Anybody know exactly what's going on? Have the driver I require,
anything?!

> Thanks, Chris.

Fixed by turning the system off and leaving it for a while, stupid machines.
The 'multimedia audio controller' mysteriously isntalled itself, and I was
free to set up the rest of the software without the errors. This is what I
get for being quick off the mark... sorry.

Chris,

I don't have the same board, but over the years I've learned that
when the sound stops for some reason it will resume after you
"remove" the device from the machine... not physically but insofar
as the operating system is concerned. In Win98 you do this
through the Device Manager, under System in the Control Panel.
When the machine reboots it will find the "new" hardware
and reinstall it. It will ask for the installation CD, but if the
thing was already installed once the driver files are usually
still on the machine where they should be, so you can just "skip
this file" during the installation. This should work unless the dirver files
have been deleted somehow, or corrupted.

Ed