getting xp to run after motherboard replece

Tim

I have had to replace motherboard in existing pc w/ home
installed. When I bring the new config up it will not
come up. It goes to boot menu and no matter which option
I slect it re-boots.

Please advise .

Greetings --

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard), unless the
new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE
controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Tim" <timbailey@ticomputers.com> wrote in message
> I have had to replace motherboard in existing pc w/ home
> installed. When I bring the new config up it will not
> come up. It goes to boot menu and no matter which option
> I slect it re-boots.
>
> Please advise .

You probably need to do a "repair" installation of XP. If this is done
correctly, you will not lose personal data or programs. However, a wise
person would backup data before doing this, such as by a disk imaging
program that can run outside of XP (e.g., Norton GHOST), or copying files to
an external USB disk fomatted to FAT32 using freely available NTFS
(read/copy) drivers for DOS.

Here are some links about doing a repair:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979,00.asp

"Tim" <timbailey@ticomputers.com> wrote in message
> I have had to replace motherboard in existing pc w/ home
> installed. When I bring the new config up it will not
> come up. It goes to boot menu and no matter which option
> I slect it re-boots.
>
> Please advise .

Tim

Thank you for your advise. Why does BILL make this so
difficult. 98SE did this very striaght forward without
issue,

us;315341

>http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
>

>http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=23979,0
0.asp

>"Tim" <timbailey@ticomputers.com> wrote in message
>> I have had to replace motherboard in existing pc w/
home
>> installed. When I bring the new config up it will not
>> come up. It goes to boot menu and no matter which
option
>> I slect it re-boots.
>>
>> Please advise .
>

>.

Greetings --

It's not a matter of "Bill making it difficult," but rather one of
"Bill making WinXP far more stable than Win9x."

The "why" is quite simple, really: you've pulled the proverbial
hardware rug out from under the OS. (If you don't like -- or get --
the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a Cape Cod style home and
then setting it down onto a Ranch style foundation. It just isn't
going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it, is not nearly as
"promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any old hardware
configuration you throw at it. On installation it "tailors" itself to
the specific
hardware found. This is one of the reasons that the entire
WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable than the Win9x group.

FYI, for future reference, comparing WinXP to Win98 is a lot like
comparing a Lexus to a Yugo -- any similarities are almost entirely
superficial.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: