SATA question

Hi,

I'm about to install a Western Digital 250Gb SATA drive as thrid drive, and I'm
wondreing if there will be any special problem that might pop-up when I will
first boot into XP Pro

BTW I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with onboard SATA controler

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Your BIOS must support drives of that size, you must have SP1 installed, and
you must turn on 48-bit LBA support.

"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to install a Western Digital 250Gb SATA drive as thrid drive,
and I'm
> wondreing if there will be any special problem that might pop-up when I
will
> first boot into XP Pro
>
> BTW I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with onboard SATA controler
>
> --
> Thank you in Advance
>
> Merci a l'Avance
>
> Martin

bar

If this is your first SATA drive, then you should review the motherboard manual and be sure that you set it up correctly to recognise a single device. Some MOBOs have two or more SATA / RAID combinations and CDs for each with appropriate drivers for the multitude of Operating Systems, and of course you need to switch between these options in BIOS.

SO if not recognised immediately in WIndows [you will be prompted to provide a device driver], then go back to basics - in this case BIOS.

"Jerry" wrote:

> Your BIOS must support drives of that size, you must have SP1 installed, and
> you must turn on 48-bit LBA support.
>
> "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm about to install a Western Digital 250Gb SATA drive as thrid drive,
> and I'm
> > wondreing if there will be any special problem that might pop-up when I
> will
> > first boot into XP Pro
> >
> > BTW I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with onboard SATA controler
> >
> > --
> > Thank you in Advance
> >
> > Merci a l'Avance
> >
> > Martin

The BIOS is already enable for SATA, which in its case is the default setting
nad after the first boot with that motherboard XP did install on itself the
drivers for the SATA controller, so it should work right of the box then, if no
one is mistaking ;-)

--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin
> If this is your first SATA drive, then you should review the motherboard
manual and be sure that you set it up correctly to recognise a single device.
Some MOBOs have two or more SATA / RAID combinations and CDs for each with
appropriate drivers for the multitude of Operating Systems, and of course you
need to switch between these options in BIOS.

> SO if not recognised immediately in WIndows [you will be prompted to provide a
device driver], then go back to basics - in this case BIOS.

> "Jerry" wrote:
>
> > Your BIOS must support drives of that size, you must have SP1 installed, and
> > you must turn on 48-bit LBA support.
> >
> > "Martin Racette" <rat7_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm about to install a Western Digital 250Gb SATA drive as thrid drive,
> > and I'm
> > > wondreing if there will be any special problem that might pop-up when I
> > will
> > > first boot into XP Pro
> > >
> > > BTW I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with onboard SATA controler
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thank you in Advance
> > >
> > > Merci a l'Avance
> > >
> > > Martin