Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just bought a new system that I'm piecing together. I have a giga-byte
8knxp REV 2.0 motherboard, and a WD 160gig SATA hd. I got windows xp pro to
load, but when trying to install the motherboard drivers I have a problem
with the SiI 3112 SATARaid controller. It shows up in the device manager as
a ??. When I install the driver, and reboot windows it comes up with the
Windows XP PRO screen with the dots running across the bottom of the screen
and then just freezes. When it gets to that screen the drive light doesn't
even come on. Then the dots freeze and I have to reboot. I then am told
windows didn't load properly, and I elect to go back to the previously
working state. I have an almost identical system that I built 3 months ago
with no problems with this. My SiI 3112 SATARaid controller works fine with
all the updates... in fact I just loaded the newest one from MSFT windows
update today (driver dated may 7th, 2004). I tried installing this one on
my new computer with the same freezes. Any help out there?

Thanks.
gregr1974@sbcglobal.net

"Greg" <rubble3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I just bought a new system that I'm piecing together. I have a giga-byte
> 8knxp REV 2.0 motherboard, and a WD 160gig SATA hd. I got windows xp pro
> load, but when trying to install the motherboard drivers I have a problem
> with the SiI 3112 SATARaid controller. It shows up in the device manager
as
> a ??. When I install the driver, and reboot windows it comes up with the
> Windows XP PRO screen with the dots running across the bottom of the
screen
> and then just freezes. When it gets to that screen the drive light
doesn't
> even come on. Then the dots freeze and I have to reboot. I then am told
> windows didn't load properly, and I elect to go back to the previously
> working state. I have an almost identical system that I built 3 months
ago
> with no problems with this. My SiI 3112 SATARaid controller works fine
with
> all the updates... in fact I just loaded the newest one from MSFT windows
> update today (driver dated may 7th, 2004). I tried installing this one on
> my new computer with the same freezes. Any help out there?
>
> Thanks.
> gregr1974@sbcglobal.net

You have my sympathy as I'm trying to get 2 Maxtor SATA drives to work
on an Epox motherboard with a Silicon Image 3114.

There are newer drivers (6/14/2004 ver.10032) than the ones you
mention for your 3112.
Go to http://www.siliconimage.com/products/sii3112.asp
Click Product Support then Downloads/Drivers/Sil3x12
in the left sidebar

John

After I wrote this message I did find those drivers and
tried them. No luck. I find it strange that they work
fine on my other identical system that I built 3 months
ago. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the MB.

> After I wrote this message I did find those drivers and
> tried them. No luck. I find it strange that they work
> fine on my other identical system that I built 3 months
> ago. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the MB.

I suggest you do a Google search on Gigabyte 8knxp+Sil3112. It turns
up a lot of problems similar to yours. Seems like you have the option to
use the Intel SATA/RAID controller on the m/board instead of the Sil.

You could also post the question in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte.

Good luck, John