Whats this mean?

Paul

Splendid

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.

This is in event viewer 3 times.

Does it mean the controller on the mobo, is defective? On D?

I thought it may have been the hdd itself, which is an 80gb seagate IDE hdd

(D) and a 120 GB sata seagate (C).

I have just tested BOTH with seagate's diagnostic software. They

appear to be OK. BOTH also work in XP and BOTH get recognised

on bootup. So, what exactly is this error trying to tell me??

bar

What it suggests is that the Hard Drive Controller [the electronics mounted on the drive itself] has not performed a function correctly.

This may only be intermittent at this time, but may deteriorate in the next days or weeks.

Take the precaution of backing up all your data, or making an 'image file' - use Ghost or Drive Image - of the entire Hard Drive, so that you can restore it to a new disk when you have to replace the faulty one. Make sure you perform the imaging process regularly, that is until the drive is replaced.

"Paul" wrote:

> The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D.
>
> This is in event viewer 3 times.
>

> Does it mean the controller on the mobo, is defective? On D?
>
> I thought it may have been the hdd itself, which is an 80gb seagate IDE hdd
>
> (D) and a 120 GB sata seagate (C).
>
> I have just tested BOTH with seagate's diagnostic software. They
>
> appear to be OK. BOTH also work in XP and BOTH get recognised
>
> on bootup. So, what exactly is this error trying to tell me??

Paul

Splendid

I've checked the hard drive itself with
a diagnostics program from seagate
and it said it was OK.

So, it cant be the hdd. There's nothing on it
at the mo either.