New User with K8V SE Deluxe m/b - USB 2.0 Question

I've just upgraded to the K8V SE Deluxe m/b from an older Gigabyte
(GA-7IXE4 ) and am unfamiliar with USB 2.0 which I note are a feature
of this board.

When I clicked "USB 2.0 - Driver Install " on the included
Motherboard Driver CD supplied with this board I get the message :-

"Microsoft Windows Update lists all available updates on the Web.
You need download Windows XP Service Pack 1 because Microsoft
USB 2.0 drivers are included."

I have XP SP1 already installed and , when I go into Device Manager
and click on " Universal Serial Bus Controllers " there are no
yellow exclamation marks shown there.

I have also plugged a printer , mouse and an external Zip drive into
one of the USB ports at the back of the board and all these
peripherals seem to work OK.

Does all this mean that the USB 2.0 PORTS are working OK and producing
the correct data speeds with drivers installed ?

How will I know I'm getting USB 2.0 speeds and not just the old USB
1.0 speeds ?

B.N.

--

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

<admiral_victory@iol.ie> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded to the K8V SE Deluxe m/b from an older Gigabyte
> (GA-7IXE4 ) and am unfamiliar with USB 2.0 which I note are a feature
> of this board.
>
> When I clicked "USB 2.0 - Driver Install " on the included
> Motherboard Driver CD supplied with this board I get the message :-
>
> "Microsoft Windows Update lists all available updates on the Web.
> You need download Windows XP Service Pack 1 because Microsoft
> USB 2.0 drivers are included."
>
> I have XP SP1 already installed and , when I go into Device Manager
> and click on " Universal Serial Bus Controllers " there are no
> yellow exclamation marks shown there.
>
> I have also plugged a printer , mouse and an external Zip drive into
> one of the USB ports at the back of the board and all these
> peripherals seem to work OK.
>
> Does all this mean that the USB 2.0 PORTS are working OK and producing
> the correct data speeds with drivers installed ?
>
> How will I know I'm getting USB 2.0 speeds and not just the old USB
> 1.0 speeds ?

I think that means it works, I haven't got SP1 installed and I have got a
yellow exclamation mark on my usb in device manager.

There should be an "Enhanced USB Host Controller". If there isn't, delete
ALL USB controllers, reboot and let Windows detect them again. This might
help, otherwise you may need to install all mobo drivers, like the VIA
4-in-1 (and the V2.57 USB 2.0 driver) from
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&Type=All

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

<admiral_victory@iol.ie> kirjoitti viestissä
> I've just upgraded to the K8V SE Deluxe m/b from an older Gigabyte
> (GA-7IXE4 ) and am unfamiliar with USB 2.0 which I note are a feature
> of this board.
>
> When I clicked "USB 2.0 - Driver Install " on the included
> Motherboard Driver CD supplied with this board I get the message :-
>
> "Microsoft Windows Update lists all available updates on the Web.
> You need download Windows XP Service Pack 1 because Microsoft
> USB 2.0 drivers are included."
>
> I have XP SP1 already installed and , when I go into Device Manager
> and click on " Universal Serial Bus Controllers " there are no
> yellow exclamation marks shown there.
>
> I have also plugged a printer , mouse and an external Zip drive into
> one of the USB ports at the back of the board and all these
> peripherals seem to work OK.
>
> Does all this mean that the USB 2.0 PORTS are working OK and producing
> the correct data speeds with drivers installed ?
>
> How will I know I'm getting USB 2.0 speeds and not just the old USB
> 1.0 speeds ?
>
> B.N.
>

> --
>
> to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

If the USB ports on that board are working at all then they have to be
working in version 2.0 mode.

--
DaveW

<admiral_victory@iol.ie> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded to the K8V SE Deluxe m/b from an older Gigabyte
> (GA-7IXE4 ) and am unfamiliar with USB 2.0 which I note are a feature
> of this board.
>
> When I clicked "USB 2.0 - Driver Install " on the included
> Motherboard Driver CD supplied with this board I get the message :-
>
> "Microsoft Windows Update lists all available updates on the Web.
> You need download Windows XP Service Pack 1 because Microsoft
> USB 2.0 drivers are included."
>
> I have XP SP1 already installed and , when I go into Device Manager
> and click on " Universal Serial Bus Controllers " there are no
> yellow exclamation marks shown there.
>
> I have also plugged a printer , mouse and an external Zip drive into
> one of the USB ports at the back of the board and all these
> peripherals seem to work OK.
>
> Does all this mean that the USB 2.0 PORTS are working OK and producing
> the correct data speeds with drivers installed ?
>
> How will I know I'm getting USB 2.0 speeds and not just the old USB
> 1.0 speeds ?
>
> B.N.
>

> --
>
> to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

Thanks to all who've replied - It would seem from this advice that
I've got the USB ports working OK as I have the indications mentioned
in D.M.

Much obliged.

B.N.

--