Connecting to wireless network with XP Home

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 2, 2005 1:56:46 AM

I set up a wireless network using a D-Link Router, a laptop with Win98 a PC
connected to the Router, 2 stand alone PC's running Win98 with Linksys NIC's
and they all work fine. I have the system set up to be a shared key system
with WEP and 64 bit encryption. I have every machine logging in with the
10 digit hex characters and all works fine.

My problem comes when I try and connect using a XP Home laptop. For the
life of me I can't get it to connect to the router although it will see the
SSID of the network and also that it is encrypted. When I type in the
shared key it will let me type in 10 numerals but after it times out without
connecting I check what I typed in it only shows me 8 dots suggesting it
won't accept 10 characters. I even tried disabling Microsoft Firewall
with the same results.

1-when I set up WEP does that encrypt the data being sent out over the
wireless network?

2-Any ideas how to get the XP Home machine to connect with the router would
be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:56:47 AM

Turn off WEP and see if you can still connect.

The number of DOTS that appear do not reflect how many characters you typed.
Microsoft has added this as an added security measure so that it would make
it harder for hackers to guess passwords by not showing the correct length.

Carey

"DKF" <dkfif@excite.com> wrote in message
>I set up a wireless network using a D-Link Router, a laptop with Win98 a PC
> connected to the Router, 2 stand alone PC's running Win98 with Linksys
> NIC's
> and they all work fine. I have the system set up to be a shared key
> system
> with WEP and 64 bit encryption. I have every machine logging in with the
> 10 digit hex characters and all works fine.
>
> My problem comes when I try and connect using a XP Home laptop. For the
> life of me I can't get it to connect to the router although it will see
> the
> SSID of the network and also that it is encrypted. When I type in the
> shared key it will let me type in 10 numerals but after it times out
> without
> connecting I check what I typed in it only shows me 8 dots suggesting it
> won't accept 10 characters. I even tried disabling Microsoft Firewall
> with the same results.
>
> 1-when I set up WEP does that encrypt the data being sent out over the
> wireless network?
>
> 2-Any ideas how to get the XP Home machine to connect with the router
> would
> be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:39:08 AM

We can connect all computers if I make the system "open" with no passphrase
or encryption. Its only when I turn on WEP that I have the problem and then
only with the XP Home laptop. Thanks for the reply.

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
news:o nMz4DI8EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Turn off WEP and see if you can still connect.
>
> The number of DOTS that appear do not reflect how many characters you
typed.
> Microsoft has added this as an added security measure so that it would
make
> it harder for hackers to guess passwords by not showing the correct
length.

> Carey
>
> "DKF" <dkfif@excite.com> wrote in message
> >I set up a wireless network using a D-Link Router, a laptop with Win98 a
PC
> > connected to the Router, 2 stand alone PC's running Win98 with Linksys
> > NIC's
> > and they all work fine. I have the system set up to be a shared key
> > system
> > with WEP and 64 bit encryption. I have every machine logging in with
the
> > 10 digit hex characters and all works fine.
> >
> > My problem comes when I try and connect using a XP Home laptop. For the
> > life of me I can't get it to connect to the router although it will see
> > the
> > SSID of the network and also that it is encrypted. When I type in the
> > shared key it will let me type in 10 numerals but after it times out
> > without
> > connecting I check what I typed in it only shows me 8 dots suggesting it
> > won't accept 10 characters. I even tried disabling Microsoft Firewall
> > with the same results.
> >
> > 1-when I set up WEP does that encrypt the data being sent out over the
> > wireless network?
> >
> > 2-Any ideas how to get the XP Home machine to connect with the router
> > would
> > be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

January 2, 2005 8:53:02 AM

I just spent 4 days on the phone with Microsoft with the same issue, but with
WPA encryption with NO SUCCESS so they told me to go back to WEP encryption
but UNCHECK a box for IEEE in the Authentication tab. They did not explain
why it was JUST DO IT! It works.

"DKF" wrote:

> We can connect all computers if I make the system "open" with no passphrase
> or encryption. Its only when I turn on WEP that I have the problem and then
> only with the XP Home laptop. Thanks for the reply.
>

> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> news:o nMz4DI8EHA.3124@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Turn off WEP and see if you can still connect.
> >
> > The number of DOTS that appear do not reflect how many characters you
> typed.
> > Microsoft has added this as an added security measure so that it would
> make
> > it harder for hackers to guess passwords by not showing the correct
> length.
> >
> > Carey
> >
> > "DKF" <dkfif@excite.com> wrote in message
> > >I set up a wireless network using a D-Link Router, a laptop with Win98 a
> PC
> > > connected to the Router, 2 stand alone PC's running Win98 with Linksys
> > > NIC's
> > > and they all work fine. I have the system set up to be a shared key
> > > system
> > > with WEP and 64 bit encryption. I have every machine logging in with
> the
> > > 10 digit hex characters and all works fine.
> > >
> > > My problem comes when I try and connect using a XP Home laptop. For the
> > > life of me I can't get it to connect to the router although it will see
> > > the
> > > SSID of the network and also that it is encrypted. When I type in the
> > > shared key it will let me type in 10 numerals but after it times out
> > > without
> > > connecting I check what I typed in it only shows me 8 dots suggesting it
> > > won't accept 10 characters. I even tried disabling Microsoft Firewall
> > > with the same results.
> > >
> > > 1-when I set up WEP does that encrypt the data being sent out over the
> > > wireless network?
> > >
> > > 2-Any ideas how to get the XP Home machine to connect with the router
> > > would
> > > be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 11:52:38 PM

Bingo. Thanks. I won't ask why it works <G>

!