Strange "status bar" briefly appears before Windows splash..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2004 5:11:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi Groups...

I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just installed
SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.

Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
starts up...

The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
right? Apologies for this poor description.

It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts

Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
September 23, 2004 6:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Assume its just the kernel loading, can happen on slow machines i think but
usually doesn't even show on modern systems. It's nothing abnormal though.

"dave g" <daveg@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Groups...
>
> I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just
> installed
> SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.
>
> Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
> a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
> starts up...
>
> The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
> that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
> right? Apologies for this poor description.
>
> It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts
>
> Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2004 6:16:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
Joshua wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

> Assume its just the kernel loading, can happen on slow machines i
> think but usually doesn't even show on modern systems. It's nothing
> abnormal though.

I know my machine is not absolute cutting edge but I hope it's not "slow"
already lol.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3Ghz Athlon XP, 1Gb PC3200, GeForce 5900, ATA133 HDD's

Maybe I'd better start upgrading ;-)
September 23, 2004 11:16:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"dave g" <daveg@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Groups...
>
> I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just
> installed
> SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.
>
> Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
> a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
> starts up...
>
> The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
> that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
> right? Apologies for this poor description.
>
> It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts
>
> Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I have that as well now (after SP2). Users of Windows 2000 should be used to
this. Also people with slow PCs. Nothing to worry about, it's just part of
the loading process.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2004 11:16:46 PM

Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

> I have that as well now (after SP2). Users of Windows 2000 should be
> used to this. Also people with slow PCs. Nothing to worry about, it's
> just part of the loading process.

Thanks for the speedy response

Oddly... it doesn't happen if I enter the bios... then exit without making
changes...?

Are you aware of a fix to get rid of it... my son's significantly slower,
budget machine manages to boot smoothly with SP2

Regards

Dave G
September 24, 2004 12:05:16 AM

>I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
> Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:
>
>> I have that as well now (after SP2). Users of Windows 2000 should be
>> used to this. Also people with slow PCs. Nothing to worry about, it's
>> just part of the loading process.
>
> Thanks for the speedy response
>
> Oddly... it doesn't happen if I enter the bios... then exit without making
> changes...?
>
> Are you aware of a fix to get rid of it... my son's significantly slower,
> budget machine manages to boot smoothly with SP2
>
> Regards
>
> Dave G

I shouldn't imagine it would add too much time to loading, mine is there for
all of 0.75 seconds. Have you defragged recently? I think the bar on mine
(3000+ Ath XP) takes longer when my HDD is a bit fragmented (Hitachi
Deskstar 80GB)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2004 12:05:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

> I shouldn't imagine it would add too much time to loading, mine is
> there for all of 0.75 seconds. Have you defragged recently? I think
> the bar on mine (3000+ Ath XP) takes longer when my HDD is a bit
> fragmented (Hitachi Deskstar 80GB)

Cue spooky music...

My computer no longer displays the symptoms I originally described... seems
to have sorted itself out???

Thanks for the suggestions anyway

Dave G
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2004 12:05:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <Xns956DCE1385D21jaspercat@216.196.97.131>,
daveg@nospam.co.uk says...
> Cue spooky music...
>
> My computer no longer displays the symptoms I originally described... seems
> to have sorted itself out???

Might it have said "Resuming Windows"? Perhaps you had hibernated rather
than shutdown the previous session ...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2004 11:01:03 AM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:11:20 -0500, dave g <daveg@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Groups...
>
> I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just installed
> SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.
>
> Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
> a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
> starts up...
>
> The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
> that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
> right? Apologies for this poor description.
>
> It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts
>
> Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh

This has always happened with my P4 2.8 system on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe.
!