CPU goop question

I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
their boxes waiting for the new mb.

My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
head (take your pick).

My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?

Thanks,
Steve

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.

It will probably work, but those pads are designed for "one time use",
and the recommended procedure is to completely remove all traces of the
pad from both CPU and heatsink, and use thermal compound on the remount.

Steve Conover wrote:

> I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
> their boxes waiting for the new mb.
>
> My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
> squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
> it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
> went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
> is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
> head (take your pick).
>
> My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

Try removing goop with alcohol. Buy some Arctic Silver - add a dab the
size of a grain of rice. Don't risk overheating your cpu.

Dave - N2LAK

Steve Conover wrote:
> I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
> their boxes waiting for the new mb.
>
> My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
> squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
> it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
> went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
> is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
> head (take your pick).
>
> My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

Arctic silver is conductive, you have to be careful with it, too much
can cause lots of problems. Unless it's an unusual situation, I prefer
the old-fashioned "white" silicone thermal compound for most routine
situations.

Dave Hines wrote:

> Try removing goop with alcohol. Buy some Arctic Silver - add a dab the
> size of a grain of rice. Don't risk overheating your cpu.
>
> Dave - N2LAK
>
> Steve Conover wrote:
>
>> I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
>> their boxes waiting for the new mb.
>> My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
>> squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
>> it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
>> went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
>> is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
>> head (take your pick).
>> My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
>> CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
>> with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
>> it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

>> Delete the ZZZ. It keeps spam
>> off the server.

Don't use BOTH. Either use just the [damaged] thermal pad, or clean it
up/off and use just thermal compound (of whatever type).

The risk in reusing the pad is that you won't get the two parts lined up
"perfectly", at places the two parts will overlap, creating double
thickness in some spots and single thickness in other spots, and
generally reduced thermal conductivity.

A better approach might be to remove "korea" from the CPU and put it
back onto the heatsink, if you can do that without dividing "Korea" up
into a whole bunch of "provinces".

"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
> their boxes waiting for the new mb.
>
> My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
> squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
> it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
> went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
> is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
> head (take your pick).
>
> My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?

Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil eraser
will do.

> Don't use BOTH. Either use just the [damaged] thermal pad, or clean it
> up/off and use just thermal compound (of whatever type).
>
> The risk in reusing the pad is that you won't get the two parts lined up
> "perfectly", at places the two parts will overlap, creating double
> thickness in some spots and single thickness in other spots, and
> generally reduced thermal conductivity.
>
> A better approach might be to remove "korea" from the CPU and put it
> back onto the heatsink, if you can do that without dividing "Korea" up
> into a whole bunch of "provinces".

No, dump the geography and use goop.

> > My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> > CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> > with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> > it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>
> Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil eraser
> will do.

I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!

A grain of rice is a good amount.

Steve Conover wrote:

> I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
> their boxes waiting for the new mb.
>
> My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
> squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
> it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
> went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
> is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
> head (take your pick).
>
> My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

clean off the old, thermal pads are destroyed when left to air. AMD
specifically mentions that thermal pads must be placed immediately after
the backing is removed.

That said, carefully scrape off the old paste from the heatsink, you can
use an old credit card, or your fingernail, then use some 99% alcohol on
a qtip to wipe the remainder off, Push hard because there are minute
channels in the heatsink. Go in each direction, use another qtip and
alcohol to clean the cpu die.

Go to your local computer store/builder and ask the service dept to sell
you a thermal pad for a buck. Thermal grease is only recommended for
short term builds.

Gordon

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

> Go to your local computer store/builder and ask the service dept to sell
> you a thermal pad for a buck. Thermal grease is only recommended for
> short term builds.

NO, when properly applied and clamped good thermal compound is the superior
product for any term build. A pad is convenient and less sloppy but
provides INFERIOR thermal coupling and will degraded with time FASTER than
good thermal compound.

> Arctic silver is conductive, you have to be careful with it, too much
> can cause lots of problems. Unless it's an unusual situation, I prefer
> the old-fashioned "white" silicone thermal compound for most routine
> situations.
>

> Dave Hines wrote:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

"Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases,
Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads.
While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly
capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two
close-proximity electrical paths.)"

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
> > > My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> > > CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> > > with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> > > it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
> >
> > Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil
eraser
> > will do.
>
> I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
>
> A grain of rice is a good amount.

A grain of rice of AS5 probably wont be enough.. Unless your not actually
spreading it of course.. I would say that a new #2 pencil with the size of
the eraser going past the eraser holder would probably mean half of that
should be okay :p .. By the ti me you use a glove/bag/stick/CC/whatever to
spread as5 out then you'll loose half of it on the item itself..

LOL war over compound or pads, come on 99.9% of gamers use compound! I know
what they are trying to get rid of and it aint there cpu!

Steve let us know how you go when your new board arrives I read a similar
problem to yours which turned out to be a bank of memory on the board was
not working right which could have meant both purple and orange slots were
faulty on one side.

cheers
sheer
"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
> I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
> their boxes waiting for the new mb.
>
> My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
> squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
> it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
> went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
> is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
> head (take your pick).
>
> My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Delete the ZZZ.
> It keeps spam
> off the server.

Absolutely right. A grain of rice is about the right amount.

Noozer wrote:
>>>My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
>>>CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
>>>with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
>>>it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>>
>>Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil eraser
>>will do.
>

> I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
>
> A grain of rice is a good amount.

Actually, after thinking about it, a bit more for AMD64, etc... CPU's with
large heat spreaders.

Basically JUST enough to cover the contact area. What you want it only
enough to remove any air gaps but not so much that it will stop the metal to
metal contact.

> Absolutely right. A grain of rice is about the right amount.

> >>Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil
eraser
> >>will do.
> >

> > I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
> >
> > A grain of rice is a good amount.

I'll keep you posted. (I had bought some new ram that didn't fix
the problem, so I concluded it was the mb.)

ASUS acknowledged receipt of my RMA request, but I haven't heard
anything back from them since then.

Any tips on how the RMA process is supposed to work would be
appreciated, by the way. I've never had to do it before.

Thanks,
Steve

"sheer" <sheer@sheere.com> wrote:

>LOL war over compound or pads, come on 99.9% of gamers use compound! I know
>what they are trying to get rid of and it aint there cpu!
>
>Steve let us know how you go when your new board arrives I read a similar
>problem to yours which turned out to be a bank of memory on the board was
>not working right which could have meant both purple and orange slots were
>faulty on one side.
>
>cheers
>sheer
>"Steve Conover" <scsr@ZZZcomcast.net> wrote in message
>> I am returning a defective mb, and all the components are back in
>> their boxes waiting for the new mb.
>>
>> My CPU's cooling unit came with a thermal pad; (by design) it was
>> squashed against the CPU when I installed it. When I uninstalled
>> it, some of the squashed goop stayed with the CPU, the rest of it
>> went with the cooling unit. The segment that stayed on the CPU
>> is shaped approximately like Korea, or that thing on Gorbachev's
>> head (take your pick).
>>
>> My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
>> CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
>> with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
>> it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>

>> Delete the ZZZ.
>> It keeps spam
>> off the server.

Delete the ZZZ.
It keeps spam
off the server.

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil
> eraser
> > > will do.
> >
> > I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
> >
> > A grain of rice is a good amount.
> >

> A grain of rice of AS5 probably wont be enough.. Unless your not actually
> spreading it of course.. I would say that a new #2 pencil with the size of
> the eraser going past the eraser holder would probably mean half of that
> should be okay :p .. By the ti me you use a glove/bag/stick/CC/whatever to
> spread as5 out then you'll loose half of it on the item itself..

Hmm...that sounds familiar as well as accurate.

> Absolutely right. A grain of rice is about the right amount.

Depending that's too little to guarantee a full spread.

> Actually, after thinking about it, a bit more for AMD64, etc... CPU's with
> large heat spreaders.
>
> Basically JUST enough to cover the contact area. What you want it only
> enough to remove any air gaps but not so much that it will stop the metal
> metal contact.

No, wrong set theoretique. One has no control of what gets filled and what
doesn't. The clamping force determines the final gap which may take a few
days to fully realize. On wants to add enough compound in such a pattern
that after a few days one can see a small bead oozing out around the entire
periphery of the thermal contact area. One wants to add the compound in
such a fashion that air pockets are unlikely to be included and any such get
expelled during the settling/oozing period. The way I do that is too spread
a bead in a X pattern(corner to corner) with a little extra dead center and
then clamping. The total volume of nonconductive paste I use is about half
a new #2 pencil erasers worth.

Next time you remove it one can observe how well it worked.

> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Absolutely right. A grain of rice is about the right amount.

> eraser
> > >

> > > I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
> > >
> > > A grain of rice is a good amount.

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
> > > My question is this: As long as I match the goop segment on the
> > > CPU with the goop void on the cooling unit (i.e., -Korea matched
> > > with +Korea), will the CPU be cooled sufficiently after I install
> > > it on my new mb? Or should I plan to get some supplemental goop?
> >
> > Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil
eraser
> > will do.
>
> I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
>
> A grain of rice is a good amount.

Is that the skinny little american rice or the good sized Thai jasmine long
grain rice??
Hard or presoaked??

regards
Freddie

Grain of wheat?

--

John
johnf202 at hotmail dot com

"Freddie Clark" <fredclark@SPAM@loxinfo.co.th> wrote in message

> "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil
> eraser
>> > will do.
>>
>> I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
>>
>> A grain of rice is a good amount.
>>

> Is that the skinny little american rice or the good sized Thai jasmine
> long
> grain rice??
> Hard or presoaked??
>

> regards
> Freddie

"Freddie Clark" <fredclark@SPAM@loxinfo.co.th> wrote in message

> "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Add proper goop. On dab about half the volume of a standard pencil
> eraser
> > > will do.
> >
> > I don't know where you get your pencils, but that's **WAY** too much!
> >
> > A grain of rice is a good amount.
> >

> Is that the skinny little american rice or the good sized Thai jasmine
long
> grain rice??
> Hard or presoaked??

After Viagra.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:23:47 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net>
wrote:

>Next time you remove it one can observe how well it worked.

LOL, a new theology of goop ;)

Just practice with clear plastic squares from Tap Plastics.
Or get a grant to put a few supercomputers on the job of calculating
the correct geometric application pattern of goop.

Or just get some radio shack goop and spread it over the contact
surfaces like they've been doing for sixty years.

In article <qc4cl0dhb841q681dap0c3m2esfhdeaq3p@4ax.com>, obsessively
goopy says...
> Or just get some radio shack goop and spread it over the contact
> surfaces like they've been doing for sixty years.

Use a razor edge to remove most of it - it only takes a very thin
coating to make a good thermal conduit. Too much and it acts like an
insulator.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Dave Hines wrote:

> Try removing goop with alcohol. Buy some Arctic Silver - add a dab the
> size of a grain of rice. Don't risk overheating your cpu.

Artic Silver is great, but it also acts like glue. Be careful if you
have to remove the heatsink in the future. It is likely to pull the
cpu from the socket rather than separate.

Wayne