problem with DVD writer

Hi,

I hope I'm posting to the proper forum - apologies if I'm not.

I've tried to install a DVD writer (LG GSA-8042b) in my system as a
replacement for an existing CD writer.

I've also got a CD-ROM (master) installed, so I set the DVD writer as
slave - and basically the computer won't boot (no POST messages -
blank screen).

I've tried all the obvious things - cable security, different
combinations of master/slave/CSEL and even a different ide cable - all
to no effect.

If I try the DVD writer on its own - the system starts OK and XP
recognises the device. I only get the problem when both devices are
sharing IDE2.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts/ideas/suggestions before I send it
back.

I've installed loads of DC/DVD/reader-writer combos in the past
without any problems.

Many hyperthanks in advance
Mr WZ Boson

Ensure the CD-ROM is really set as Master and not as CS (Cable Select)
www.coribright.com