IDE SATA 64 bit Drivers for Promise Controllers, A8V

Anybody any idea why there are no Promise 378 IDE (non-RAID) 64 bit SATA
drivers for this board.

Their 64 bit RAID drivers work fine with X64, as does pure PATA, but for
me its a nuisance as I don't want to use RAID.

Thanks.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.
4 answers Last reply
More about sata drivers promise controllers

    Il Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:15:00 +0100, John Hollingsworth ha scritto:

    > Anybody any idea why there are no Promise 378 IDE (non-RAID) 64 bit SATA
    > drivers for this board.
    >
    > Their 64 bit RAID drivers work fine with X64, as does pure PATA, but for
    > me its a nuisance as I don't want to use RAID.

    I can't understand the problem. Use your RAID drivers in a non raid
    configuration.

    In article <pan.2004.09.24.21.02.56.38686@nomai.nt>, nospam@nomai.nt
    (Pearl) wrote:

    > Il Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:15:00 +0100, John Hollingsworth ha scritto:
    >
    > > Anybody any idea why there are no Promise 378 IDE (non-RAID) 64 bit
    > > SATA drivers for this board.
    > >
    > > Their 64 bit RAID drivers work fine with X64, as does pure PATA, but
    > > for me its a nuisance as I don't want to use RAID.
    > >
    > I can't understand the problem. Use your RAID drivers in a non raid
    > configuration.

    I don't want to use JBOD, I want to run with a C: and a D:, 2 separate
    SATA drives. Can I do that on a Promise controller, with the BIOS set to
    RAID to enable the Promise RAID 64bit driver to work?

    If I set the Promise RAID controller to "RAID" in BIOS then press "esc" to
    continue booting without creating a RAID array, then X64 setup can't find
    the SATA HDDS. So I still think there needs to be specific IDE Promise
    drivers to operate as I wish.

    At present, I've got 2 x SATA drives on XP Pro and a PATA drive with X64,
    and select with F8 on boot.

    If you have an answer, I'd be pleased as I wanted to install X64 on a
    partition on the C: SATA drive.

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:08 +0100 (BST), jwh@cix.co.uk (John
    Hollingsworth) wrote:

    >In article <pan.2004.09.24.21.02.56.38686@nomai.nt>, nospam@nomai.nt
    >(Pearl) wrote:
    >
    >> Il Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:15:00 +0100, John Hollingsworth ha scritto:
    >>
    >> > Anybody any idea why there are no Promise 378 IDE (non-RAID) 64 bit
    >> > SATA drivers for this board.
    >> >
    >> > Their 64 bit RAID drivers work fine with X64, as does pure PATA, but
    >> > for me its a nuisance as I don't want to use RAID.
    >> >
    >> I can't understand the problem. Use your RAID drivers in a non raid
    >> configuration.
    >>
    >I don't want to use JBOD, I want to run with a C: and a D:, 2 separate
    >SATA drives. Can I do that on a Promise controller, with the BIOS set to
    >RAID to enable the Promise RAID 64bit driver to work?
    >
    >If I set the Promise RAID controller to "RAID" in BIOS then press "esc" to
    >continue booting without creating a RAID array, then X64 setup can't find
    >the SATA HDDS. So I still think there needs to be specific IDE Promise
    >drivers to operate as I wish.
    >
    >At present, I've got 2 x SATA drives on XP Pro and a PATA drive with X64,
    >and select with F8 on boot.
    >
    >If you have an answer, I'd be pleased as I wanted to install X64 on a
    >partition on the C: SATA drive.

    Suggest trying the VIA SATA channels also available on the motherboard
    instead of the Promise ports. They work in both Winxp 64 bit and 32.

    In article <duOdnUerpdwtn8rcRVnyvQ@giganews.com>,
    stevelon@deletethisbitntlworld.com (SteveL) wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:08 +0100 (BST), jwh@cix.co.uk (John
    > Hollingsworth) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <pan.2004.09.24.21.02.56.38686@nomai.nt>, nospam@nomai.nt
    > >(Pearl) wrote:

    > > > bit >SATA drivers for this board.

    > > > but >for me its a nuisance as I don't want to use RAID.
    > >> >
    > >> I can't understand the problem. Use your RAID drivers in a non raid
    > >> configuration.
    > >>
    > >I don't want to use JBOD, I want to run with a C: and a D:, 2 separate
    > >SATA drives. Can I do that on a Promise controller, with the BIOS set
    > to >RAID to enable the Promise RAID 64bit driver to work?
    > >
    > >If I set the Promise RAID controller to "RAID" in BIOS then press
    > "esc" to >continue booting without creating a RAID array, then X64
    > setup can't find >the SATA HDDS. So I still think there needs to be
    > specific IDE Promise >drivers to operate as I wish.
    > >
    > >At present, I've got 2 x SATA drives on XP Pro and a PATA drive with
    > X64, >and select with F8 on boot.
    > >
    > >If you have an answer, I'd be pleased as I wanted to install X64 on a
    > >partition on the C: SATA drive.
    >
    > Suggest trying the VIA SATA channels also available on the motherboard
    > instead of the Promise ports. They work in both Winxp 64 bit and 32.

    Thanks - I've got the Via 64 bit drivers, I'll try them.

    John

    Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

Asus NAS / RAID Drivers SATA Motherboards