rundll32.exe

I'm running windows xp professional, and I'm finding that
sometimes if I leave my computer on for a couple of hours,
the computer runs extremely sluggishly, as in everything
becomes lagged. I press ctrl-alt-del to find the source of
the problem, and I'm noticing that everytime, it's the
process "rundll32.exe" that's taking up 99% of the CPU's
processing power. Any idea how I would remedy this
problem? Is anyone else having this problem?

-Thanks

What's the suspicious Rundll32.exe process?
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/rundll32.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Kevin" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message:

| I'm running windows xp professional, and I'm finding that
| sometimes if I leave my computer on for a couple of hours,
| the computer runs extremely sluggishly, as in everything
| becomes lagged. I press ctrl-alt-del to find the source of
| the problem, and I'm noticing that everytime, it's the
| process "rundll32.exe" that's taking up 99% of the CPU's
| processing power. Any idea how I would remedy this
| problem? Is anyone else having this problem?
|
| -Thanks

Perhaps I was a bit neglectful of mentioning that it continuously eats up the resources... as in, this annoying sluggishness does not go away. I know what the rundll32.exe process is and what it does, but why won't it go away? it's taking up 99% of my CPU's resources and I'm finding it irritating to restart every time i want to get rid of it.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> What's the suspicious Rundll32.exe process?
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/rundll32.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

> "Kevin" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message:
>
> | I'm running windows xp professional, and I'm finding that
> | sometimes if I leave my computer on for a couple of hours,
> | the computer runs extremely sluggishly, as in everything
> | becomes lagged. I press ctrl-alt-del to find the source of
> | the problem, and I'm noticing that everytime, it's the
> | process "rundll32.exe" that's taking up 99% of the CPU's
> | processing power. Any idea how I would remedy this
> | problem? Is anyone else having this problem?
> |
> | -Thanks

My apologies, I did not attach the modules that it was executing. The following was a list of the modules that rundll32 was executing. Any ideas what's causing it to slow down so much?

Image Name PID Modules
========================= ====== =============================================
rundll32.exe 1932 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, msvcrt.dll,
GDI32.dll, USER32.dll, ADVAPI32.dll,
RPCRT4.dll, IMAGEHLP.dll, LPK.DLL,
USP10.dll, irprops.cpl, DEVMGR.DLL,
ole32.dll, SETUPAPI.dll, VERSION.dll,
SHELL32.dll, SHLWAPI.dll, WMI.dll, MPR.dll,
WSOCK32.dll, WS2_32.dll, WS2HELP.dll,
comctl32.dll, comctl32.dll, XPSP2RES.DLL,
uxtheme.dll, MSCTF.dll
rundll32.exe 276 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, msvcrt.dll,
GDI32.dll, USER32.dll, ADVAPI32.dll,
RPCRT4.dll, IMAGEHLP.dll, LPK.DLL,
USP10.dll, pwrmonit.dll, MFC42.DLL,
ole32.dll, OLEAUT32.dll, setupapi.dll,
powrprof.dll, tppwrw32.dll, uxtheme.dll,
MSCTF.dll