Hard drive stops being recognized

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi,

I have a 160GB "G" drive in my pc, running windows XP,
512MB ram, 900MH, (Dell XPS B ) and this morning when I
woke up my computer was frozen (not responding to any
mouse activity, or ctr-alt-del) so I did a hard reboot.
After the C drive scan was completed (to check C for
errors because of the hard boot) windows came up as
normal, except that my G drive is now missing. It is not
listed in the Device manager at all or under my computer
as a drive. I didnt take it out or screw with it at
all. Can any one point me in the right direction as to
how I can get it recognized again? I also tried a system
restore and I got a message that no chances would be made
to "G" because it was not included under system restore
or it had be disabled or removed (parapharased, not the
exact wording). So I did it anyways but it still was not
recognized. Now I'm at work and my pc is at home and I'm
freaking out as to how I am going to get my G drive
back. Thanks, Chris

kawipoo

Is your drive recognized in your bios? If not your drive could have gone
bad. Are your hard drives on the same IDE channel you might try moving the
G drive to another IDE channel to see if the IDE channel chipset is bad as
well.
A hardware problem such as a failed hard drive could have caused the
computer to freeze.
"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a 160GB "G" drive in my pc, running windows XP,
> 512MB ram, 900MH, (Dell XPS B ) and this morning when I
> woke up my computer was frozen (not responding to any
> mouse activity, or ctr-alt-del) so I did a hard reboot.
> After the C drive scan was completed (to check C for
> errors because of the hard boot) windows came up as
> normal, except that my G drive is now missing. It is not
> listed in the Device manager at all or under my computer
> as a drive. I didnt take it out or screw with it at
> all. Can any one point me in the right direction as to
> how I can get it recognized again? I also tried a system
> restore and I got a message that no chances would be made
> to "G" because it was not included under system restore
> or it had be disabled or removed (parapharased, not the
> exact wording). So I did it anyways but it still was not
> recognized. Now I'm at work and my pc is at home and I'm
> freaking out as to how I am going to get my G drive
> back. Thanks, Chris

The first thing is probably to check that it is recognized in the BIOS.
IF you have SMART capability I would activate it to look at the drive.
However, Considering the processor speed (900MH) and the size of the
drive, it may not have been supported in the BIOS. Did you install a
card or software or both to access the full size of the drive? I would
look to make sure the connections are good, especially that any card is
in the slot tight.