Rumor: Radeon HD 7990 Set to Launch After Nvidia's Kepler

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Got 7970's and unless AMD pulls their thumbs out of their ass and deliver on the driver end with proper xfire support ect on day one at new releases i feel sorry for the purchasers of this - no matter how strong it looks on paper!

With this superb performance of the single gpus (7970 and promised 680) we wouldn't need dual gpus for single monitors unless, we see new metro 2033 or stalker or something similar...

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Love my 7970x2 setup; but it is wounderful to hear more is just around the corner! Competition is the best for consumers. Better products at better prices.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I have crossfire 7970s and BF3 runs perfectly !! No other games needs that level of power, the drivers don't seem too bad to me so far and not like nVidia is perfect. Just stop banging on about AMD drivers like it completely makes or breaks it, things have improved.

what's the point of using a dual gpu card to compete with kepler? amd could release something like 7980, something to trade blows with top single gpu kepler.
i agree with ubercake, the dual gpu card won't work at it's full potential without good driver support from amd. good driver support is something amd has been historically bad at. what's worse, if amd doesn't release working driver during a high profile game launch and if the game doesn't support cfx at launch, the 7990 user would be screwed till driver and game updates come out.
edit: i haven't used a dual gpu card. i don't know if it is possible to shut down one gpu in case a game does not support dual gpu/crossfire.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Maximus_Delta[/nom]I have crossfire 7970s and BF3 runs perfectly !! No other games needs that level of power, the drivers don't seem too bad to me so far and not like nVidia is perfect. Just stop banging on about AMD drivers like it completely makes or breaks it, things have improved.[/citation]

Breaks it - i'd agree on that sadly. Took several weeks to get descent xfire support in Skyrim, and with that kind of blockbuster title it should have been present at release day. Not weeks after. Incompetence or ignorance towards their customers, i don't know either way its bad. I hope they make good on their promises to speed up the adaptations of new titles this round, not like the last that was pretty much only BS!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
One 7970 is so powerful that I couldn't understand anyone enduring the pain of Crossfire/SLI or dual-GPU cards unless they were running three or more monitors.

G

Every review of the latest AMD series GPUs show that they have almost perfect scaling! That means that in many cases the addition of the 2nd GPU means a leap in performance of to about 100% - given that the game is not CPU limited. So I dont understand what u guys mean when talking about AMD screwing anybody with crossfire. They have the last 2 generation of graphics cards been better than nVidia at this.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Might be a great card but poor driver support will kill it.

Granted 7970 is a nice card.

Now Nvidia goes out of their way to make drivers work for their cards. Nvidia tends to be friendlier with games then AMD does.

noobalert

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I wonder how far behind the GTX 690 is, or if I should just get x2 AMD 7990's, or 2-3 GTX 680's...
I looking to run a 3d, Eyfinity/Nvida Surround setup sometime before June! to complete my z77 build.

I got $5k to burn!!! any suggestions??? x79?, z77?, 3x GTX680's?, 2x GTX 690?, 2x AMD 7990's?, 24-27in 3D Monitors x3???

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]Might be a great card but poor driver support will kill it. Granted 7970 is a nice card.Now Nvidia goes out of their way to make drivers work for their cards. Nvidia tends to be friendlier with games then AMD does.[/citation]

well.. not only drivers, the good of nvidia is always they made everything works.. nothing features are broken.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Amd and nvidia cards are about the same. I own 7 nvidia cards( from Geforce2Mx to GTX285 series) and had to RMA 6 times. Now, I own 4 6950 and I RMA only one ( my fault...after flashing to 6970 it had artifacts). So AMD is not that bad at all

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Good lord, the Nvidia fans came out in droves.

Don't like Radeon products? Don't post. Pretty simple. Until real world benchmarks (not NVIDIA based marks) come out for the 680, the 7970 is still king in single GPU setups.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
It would be nice if there was a Crossfire driver that supported EIGHT GPU cores. I can imagine the amount of enthusiasts buying and CFing four 7990s, and how many happier electrical companies there will be.

[citation][nom]cryio[/nom]"It will be based on a PCIe 3.0 interface and support for DirectX 11.0 and OpenGL 4.0". It's DirectX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.2 guys.[/citation]

No, it's quite obvious that AMD kneecapped their flagship product.

/sarcasm

mr_wobbles

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Why do you all rail on AMD's Driver support? My MOBILE 1gb graphics card can sometimes tie with my friends desktop 1gb Nvidia. Plus if you read the Crossfire vs SLI article, you would remember that the inferior ATI won on games that were Nvidia optimized.

Status
Not open for further replies.