A7N8X - KVM switch and keyboard problems

I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
there is no keyboard to log on.

It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
seems to work fine.

Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.

Any advice appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x switch keyboard problems

    Sometime on, or about Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:14:33 GMT, dgk wrote:

    > I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
    > only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
    > 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
    > minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
    > complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
    > there is no keyboard to log on.
    >
    > It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
    > keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
    > seems to work fine.
    >
    > Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
    > input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
    > jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
    > but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    I use a KVM and have had no problems with that board. Personally, I'd
    blame the KVM switch, not the motherboard.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    I have the same issue randomly on my A7n8x-deluxe...if I unplug the KVM
    keyboard adapter and replug all is fine. I have a Trendnet KVM...so it
    appears to be a board recognition issue and not KVM. My A7N8X-X is fine with
    the KVM and I have had no other issues with it when I build systems..just my
    board.

    "dgk" <sonicechoes-spamless@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
    > only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
    > 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
    > minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
    > complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
    > there is no keyboard to log on.
    >
    > It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
    > keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
    > seems to work fine.
    >
    > Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
    > input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
    > jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
    > but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    sorry for the multi post...said send failed

    I have the same issue randomly on my A7n8x-deluxe...if I unplug the KVM
    keyboard adapter and replug all is fine. I have a Trendnet KVM...so it
    appears to be a board recognition issue and not KVM. My A7N8X-X is fine with
    the KVM and I have had no other issues with it when I build systems..just my
    board.

    "dgk" <sonicechoes-spamless@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
    > only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
    > 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
    > minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
    > complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
    > there is no keyboard to log on.
    >
    > It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
    > keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
    > seems to work fine.
    >
    > Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
    > input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
    > jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
    > but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    I have no advice I'm afraid, but I can confirm weird keyboard problems
    as well. If anything, mine are even weirder:

    I have one computer on a 4 port belkin switch which absolutely will
    not enter the BIOS detup when I hit DEL when the keyboard is connected
    through the KVM.

    I can hit other keys, and they work (for instance, I can get into the
    RAID BIOS setup screen), but no DEL key.

    However, to top off the weirdness, once booted into windows, the DEL
    key works fine, so obviously there is nothing wrong with anything :-).

    How could the KVM switch know it is talking to the BIOS and not Windows?
    How could the BIOS know it is talking to a KVM switch? It is a mystery.

    Any time I want to get into the BIOS on this system, I have to
    drag in another keyboard and plug it into a USB port.
    --
    >>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+
    email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
    <URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

    on my A7N8Xe deluxe, there is a choice in the BIOS to enable USB legacy
    keyboard. default is off, I believe. try changing it to on. I just flashed
    my MB to BIOS version 12, and in order to use the ALT-F2 bios flash, I had
    to use a regular keyboard plugged into the PS2 keyboard port, as my USB
    keyboard was not seen during the time period to press ALT-F2. The flash went
    perfectly, by the way. When I rebooted and looked around at some settings
    and selections, I saw the USB keyboard choice. See if this corrects your
    problem with the KVM.

    Regards,

    Bob

    "dgk" <sonicechoes-spamless@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
    > only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
    > 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
    > minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
    > complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
    > there is no keyboard to log on.
    >
    > It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
    > keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
    > seems to work fine.
    >
    > Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
    > input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
    > jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
    > but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    mine is on..tried that setting too...but I am using a USB to PS2
    adapter...after seeing this post am sort of glad to see I am not
    alone...possibly just another quirck of the A7N8X-Deluxe board

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:09:56 GMT, "BobS" <nospamenotnot@optonline.net>
    wrote:

    >on my A7N8Xe deluxe, there is a choice in the BIOS to enable USB legacy
    >keyboard. default is off, I believe. try changing it to on. I just flashed
    >my MB to BIOS version 12, and in order to use the ALT-F2 bios flash, I had
    >to use a regular keyboard plugged into the PS2 keyboard port, as my USB
    >keyboard was not seen during the time period to press ALT-F2. The flash went
    >perfectly, by the way. When I rebooted and looked around at some settings
    >and selections, I saw the USB keyboard choice. See if this corrects your
    >problem with the KVM.
    >
    >Regards,

    Maybe I'll just flash to the new bios in case their is some keyboard
    adjustment in it anyway. But I will enable USB and try it that way
    also. It shouldn't make a difference since it is a PS2 keyboard but
    you never know for sure.

Asus KVM Keyboard Problems Keyboards Motherboards