A7N8X - KVM switch and keyboard problems

I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
there is no keyboard to log on.

It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
seems to work fine.

Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.

Any advice appreciated.

Sam

Sometime on, or about Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:14:33 GMT, dgk wrote:

> I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
> only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
> 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
> minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
> complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
> there is no keyboard to log on.
>
> It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
> keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
> seems to work fine.
>
> Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
> input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
> jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
> but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I use a KVM and have had no problems with that board. Personally, I'd
blame the KVM switch, not the motherboard.

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

Dino

I have the same issue randomly on my A7n8x-deluxe...if I unplug the KVM
keyboard adapter and replug all is fine. I have a Trendnet KVM...so it
appears to be a board recognition issue and not KVM. My A7N8X-X is fine with
the KVM and I have had no other issues with it when I build systems..just my
board.

"dgk" <sonicechoes-spamless@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
> only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
> 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
> minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
> complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
> there is no keyboard to log on.
>
> It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
> keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
> seems to work fine.
>
> Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
> input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
> jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
> but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

Dino

I have the same issue randomly on my A7n8x-deluxe...if I unplug the KVM
keyboard adapter and replug all is fine. I have a Trendnet KVM...so it
appears to be a board recognition issue and not KVM. My A7N8X-X is fine with
the KVM and I have had no other issues with it when I build systems..just my
board.

"dgk" <sonicechoes-spamless@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
> only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
> 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
> minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
> complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
> there is no keyboard to log on.
>
> It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
> keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
> seems to work fine.
>
> Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
> input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
> jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
> but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I have no advice I'm afraid, but I can confirm weird keyboard problems
as well. If anything, mine are even weirder:

I have one computer on a 4 port belkin switch which absolutely will
not enter the BIOS detup when I hit DEL when the keyboard is connected
through the KVM.

I can hit other keys, and they work (for instance, I can get into the
RAID BIOS setup screen), but no DEL key.

However, to top off the weirdness, once booted into windows, the DEL
key works fine, so obviously there is nothing wrong with anything :).

How could the KVM switch know it is talking to the BIOS and not Windows?
How could the BIOS know it is talking to a KVM switch? It is a mystery.

Any time I want to get into the BIOS on this system, I have to
drag in another keyboard and plug it into a USB port.
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+
email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

BobS

on my A7N8Xe deluxe, there is a choice in the BIOS to enable USB legacy
keyboard. default is off, I believe. try changing it to on. I just flashed
my MB to BIOS version 12, and in order to use the ALT-F2 bios flash, I had
to use a regular keyboard plugged into the PS2 keyboard port, as my USB
keyboard was not seen during the time period to press ALT-F2. The flash went
perfectly, by the way. When I rebooted and looked around at some settings
and selections, I saw the USB keyboard choice. See if this corrects your
problem with the KVM.

Regards,

Bob

"dgk" <sonicechoes-spamless@zero-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have several computers on a cheap Belkin KVM four port switch. The
> only computer that has a problem with this is the A7N8X Deluxe Version
> 2. Sometimes the keyboard just stops working. It works fine, then a
> minute later it simply isn't there. Then, I reboot it, the bios
> complains about no keyboard. I press F1, the boot continues, but then
> there is no keyboard to log on.
>
> It seems that the problem is in the A7N8X. If I plug in a regular
> keyboard, which I've just started doing so I don't have much data, it
> seems to work fine.
>
> Is there something weird about the way Asus is handling the keyboard
> input that might be working strangely with the KVM? I have tried to
> jiggle the keyboard port many times. Sometimes the keyboard comes back
> but most of the time it doesn't until I reboot. And not always then.
>
> Any advice appreciated.

Dino

mine is on..tried that setting too...but I am using a USB to PS2
adapter...after seeing this post am sort of glad to see I am not
alone...possibly just another quirck of the A7N8X-Deluxe board

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:09:56 GMT, "BobS" <nospamenotnot@optonline.net>
wrote:

>on my A7N8Xe deluxe, there is a choice in the BIOS to enable USB legacy
>keyboard. default is off, I believe. try changing it to on. I just flashed
>my MB to BIOS version 12, and in order to use the ALT-F2 bios flash, I had
>to use a regular keyboard plugged into the PS2 keyboard port, as my USB
>keyboard was not seen during the time period to press ALT-F2. The flash went
>perfectly, by the way. When I rebooted and looked around at some settings
>and selections, I saw the USB keyboard choice. See if this corrects your
>problem with the KVM.
>
>Regards,

Maybe I'll just flash to the new bios in case their is some keyboard
adjustment in it anyway. But I will enable USB and try it that way
also. It shouldn't make a difference since it is a PS2 keyboard but
you never know for sure.