P2B-DS probs

Mike

Splendid

My mobo just passed away, it collapsed halfway through booting, it
bravely made several more attempts to boot but was getting weaker each
time but now, alas, it is gone :-( I laid it out on the slab to do a
postmortem and discovered the cause.
In the corner between the fixing screw and the ram socket resides
component Q11, an NEC K2941 81L, which Google tells me is a n-Channel
MOSFET, which fell off when I touched it. The component isn't charred
and all else seems OK.
What are my chances of resurrecting the mobo if I replace this? Can the
component be easily checked with a meter? Does anyone know of a supplier
in the UK that stocks a K2941? Is there an equivalent that's more
readily available?
All help gratefully received.

Mike (spamcheck - remove my footwear to reply)

Paul

Splendid

In article <41551f76$0$20248$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, Mike
<cotech.shoes@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> My mobo just passed away, it collapsed halfway through booting, it
> bravely made several more attempts to boot but was getting weaker each
> time but now, alas, it is gone :-( I laid it out on the slab to do a
> postmortem and discovered the cause.
> In the corner between the fixing screw and the ram socket resides
> component Q11, an NEC K2941 81L, which Google tells me is a n-Channel
> MOSFET, which fell off when I touched it. The component isn't charred
> and all else seems OK.
> What are my chances of resurrecting the mobo if I replace this? Can the
> component be easily checked with a meter? Does anyone know of a supplier
> in the UK that stocks a K2941? Is there an equivalent that's more
> readily available?
> All help gratefully received.
>
> Mike (spamcheck - remove my footwear to reply)

There is a regular in this group, and I bet he knows exactly
what the problem is. Until he gets here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=985131139%40p104.f8.n5004.z2.ftn

"2SK2941 NEC This product is n-Chanel MOS Field Effect Transistor
designed high current switching application.

FEATURE
Low On-Resistance
Rds(on)1 = 14 mOhm Typ. (Ugs = 10 V, Id =18 A)
Rds(on)2 = 22 mOhm Typ. (Ugs = 4 V, Id = 18 A)
Low Ciss Ciss = 1250 pF Typ.
Built-in G-S Protection Diode

ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM RATINGS (Ta = 25 °C)
Maximum Voltages and Currents
Drain to Source Voltage Udss 30 V
Gate to Source Voltage Ugss +-20 V
Drain Current (DC) Id(DC) +-35 A
Drain Current (Pulse) Id(Pulse) +-140 A [PW<=10us, Duty Cycle<=1%]
Maximum Power Dissipation
Total Power Dissipation (Ta = 25 °C) Pt 1.5 W
Total Power Dissipation (Ta = 25 °C) Pt 60 W
Maximum Temperature
Channel Temperature Tch 150 °C
Storage Temperature Tstg -55 to + 125 °C

Judging by your description, that is the switcher in the upper right
hand corner of the board that makes VIO. If a capacitor fails (becomes
leaky, bulges, discoloration/stain under caps), then that can cause
a lot of current to flow through the MOSFETs and the coil of wire on
the toroid. In a case like this, you have to check for the original
fault and also for any collateral damage.

If a part falls off, either it got very hot and melted the solder
holding it, or it was never soldered properly to begin with. What
little direct exposure I've had to Asus motherboards shows they have
excellent build quality, so I cannot believe the device had dry joints.
That means something made the MOSFET get very hot.

VIO goes a few places on the motherboard, so a plugin device could
have failed and partially shorted the VIO rail. Or, a cap could have
failed over near the DIMMs. If you solder the MOSFET on again, chances
are it will just get hot again and remelt the solder. If this
was me, I would probably have a hard time fixing this, because power
plane faults can be hard to trace, even if you have color keys for
the layout to look at. I.e. The collateral damage may be easy to see,
but the original fault could be tricky to locate - that means replacing
all the damage you can see, will very likely not fix it, and it will
happen all over again.

Perhaps if "P2B" reads this, he'll give you some better suggestions,
as he has fixed up quite a few 440BX boards and probably knows where
to look for a replacement MOSFET. I've tried searching for obsolete
MOSFETs before, and it can be pretty frustrating. And, I've never
swapped one out for another, so don't have any experience doing one
of these. I would probably want to scope the circuit and compare
it to a "normal" one, to make sure everything looks good. (Switching
regulators are twitchy enough, that any time you change anything,
the circuit operation should be verified again. If you can find an
exact substitute, the job is a lot easier.)

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <41551f76$0$20248$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, Mike
<cotech.shoes@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> My mobo just passed away, it collapsed halfway through booting, it
> bravely made several more attempts to boot but was getting weaker each
> time but now, alas, it is gone :-( I laid it out on the slab to do a
> postmortem and discovered the cause.
> In the corner between the fixing screw and the ram socket resides
> component Q11, an NEC K2941 81L, which Google tells me is a n-Channel
> MOSFET, which fell off when I touched it. The component isn't charred
> and all else seems OK.
> What are my chances of resurrecting the mobo if I replace this? Can the
> component be easily checked with a meter? Does anyone know of a supplier
> in the UK that stocks a K2941? Is there an equivalent that's more
> readily available?
> All help gratefully received.
>
> Mike (spamcheck - remove my footwear to reply)

This web page shows the chip controlling the VIO circuit in the
upper right hand corner of the board, is the HIP6019

http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-dsvio.htm

If you go to http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4587.pdf and
download the datasheet for the HIP6019, then go to page 15, you
can see a schematic for a typical motherboard circuit.

As near as I can tell by looking at the picture of the motherboard,
in the P2B-DS user manual, there are two voltage regulator chips.
There is a smaller one next to the ATX 20 pin connector. The other
one, a HIP6019, is between the two slots. The HIP6019 has two switching
regulators. The main one uses two MOSFETs and drives Vcore on one of the
processor slots - possibly the slot to the right of the regulator chip.
The other switching regulator can be used to control the VIO regulator.

If you look at page 15, and look to the left hand side of the chip,
there are components Q3, CR2, L2, C19-23. These are the main power
handling components for VIO. Q3 might correspond to the 2SK2941
used on the P2B-DS. The reason CR2 is used, is a switching regulator
doesn't need to use two MOSFETs - two MOSFETs improves efficiency,
but in fact a diode can be used in place of the lower MOSFET. That
is what CR2 is doing in that circuit - it means the HIP6019
doesn't need another gate drive circuit, which would take extra pins
to drive and monitor.

In terms of fault modes, if CR2 fails, it will likely fail shorted.
This will cause a lot of current to flow through Q3. So, before
soldering Q3 back into place, you would want to use your ohmmeter
across the equiv of CR2, to see if it is shorted. If it is, you'll
have to find a replacement for the MBR2535 (possibly onsemi.com
makes those - the MBR number is former Motorola, and onsemi got the
diode business from them). The equivalent of C19-23 are the four
capacitors next to the floppy connector. Examine those for bulging
or leaking and replace them before soldering the MOSFET back, if
they show signs of having failed. If they go ohmic, they can draw
a large current through the toroid and burn the MOSFET.

So, those are the things to look for. Check the equivalents of
Q3, CR2, L2, C19-23 for signs of failure, and if they are all
visually intact, and the node where Q3, CR2, and L2 join isn't
shorted to ground, then it is probably safe to power it back up
after the MOSFET is reinstalled.

To check the MOSFET, you would need two supplies, one for Vgs and
one for Vds. Page 6 of this Berkeley lab, shows how a student
might measure a MOSFET characteristic.

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee43/f03/labs/LAB7.PDF

I would use a 9V transistor radio battery and a
couple of 1K ohm resistors (power rating doesn't matter). I
would run two test cases. One is with the gate at +9V. The
other is with the gate at 0V (ground). In one case, using a
voltmeter, you'll find the full nine volts between the +9V
terminal and the D (drain) terminal. In the other case, there
will be roughly zero volts or close to it, between +9V and D,
and that is the case when the MOSFET is switched off and is
drawing no current through the drain load resistor. As long
as the transistor exhibits two states of operation (i.e. the
test cases do different things), the transistor is ready to
be reused. (Note: This test circuit is applicable to full
swing MOSFETs, and may not be the best for a MOSFET with
"logic" gate inputs, in which case a 5V supply should be used
on the gate test input. AFAIK, the HIP6019 uses full swing
MOSFETs. With "logic" gate MOSFETs, it pays to check the
gate breakdown voltage of the device, before selecting a
gate test voltage to use.)

+9V <--------Measure +9V
| with |
Resistor ---voltmeter Resistor
| / |
|--+ D <--/ |--+ D
+9V ---Resistor---G--| +--Resistor---G--|
|--+ S | |--+ S
| | |
GND GND GND

What will be the hardest part of doing the above test circuit ?
Figuring out the pinout of the MOSFET :) You may be able to
deduce this by looking at the layout of the motherboard where the
MOSFET is connected. Compare the layout to the schematic in the
HIP6019 datasheet, and that may give you a hint as to which pin
is which. Compare what you see to my best guess, which is:

_______
G---| | |
D---| |D|<--- Metal tab joined to center pin
S---| | |
-------- Device with metal tab down,
plastic body facing up, device
resting flat on your table.

I'm sorry I cannot help with datasheets for devices - I've tried
looking, but transistor companies change hands so often, that
old datasheets are impossible to find. Even a datasheet I found
on web.archive.org for a different device a while back, is no
longer available. So much for archives :-(

HTH,
Paul

Mike

Splendid

Thanks Paul (and Tim below) for the quick response.

About a month ago I attached a faulty irda card onto the motherboard
header which smoked the 4-core lead, however, the 5v rail on the header
survived and the mobo has been running flawlessly 24/7 since. So I don't
think that is the cause or related.
The problem occured when I moved the mobo into a new case, my first
thought was that I created some sort of a short mounting it in the case
so i took it out, examined the board, and did a minimum connect-up on
the bench where it made a few attempts to boot. When I started prodding
and probing (as one does) the MOSFET initially lifted from the board -
left supported on its legs - then the legs 'peeled off' cleanly from the
attaching solder with no distortion to the legs, leaving the legs, where
previously soldered a copper colour. The back tab also showed a copper
colour although discoloured over much of it's area which cleaned off
easily to reveal copper, the solder on the pad on the board under the
back tab was also discoloured. I am tempted to assume the component was
not tinned properly in the first place and the flexing of the board
during the move caused the bad joint to finally come apart, but am
dubious of simply resoldering it in case it's damaged and causes further
probs down the line. The back tab is quite a big chunk of copper and I
don't like to keep heating a pcb changing components. So I would really
like to know if there is any way to check it before I resolder. I probed
the pins and got about 5 Meg between one leg and case and nothing
between the legs, or the other leg and case.
I can find no visible damage to any other components or plug-in boards,
just a bit nervous of warming up the iron and taking the plunge.

thanks again,
Mike (spamcheck - remove my footwear to reply)

Tim

Hi,

Found this:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:QzEpvXAtGZEJ:lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2003-01/msg00515.html+nec+K2941&hl=en

I hope it is of use.

- Tim

Mike wrote:
> Thanks Paul (and Tim below) for the quick response.
>
> About a month ago I attached a faulty irda card onto the motherboard
> header which smoked the 4-core lead, however, the 5v rail on the header
> survived and the mobo has been running flawlessly 24/7 since. So I don't
> think that is the cause or related.
> The problem occured when I moved the mobo into a new case, my first
> thought was that I created some sort of a short mounting it in the case
> so i took it out, examined the board, and did a minimum connect-up on
> the bench where it made a few attempts to boot. When I started prodding
> and probing (as one does) the MOSFET initially lifted from the board -
> left supported on its legs - then the legs 'peeled off' cleanly from the
> attaching solder with no distortion to the legs, leaving the legs, where
> previously soldered a copper colour. The back tab also showed a copper
> colour although discoloured over much of it's area which cleaned off
> easily to reveal copper, the solder on the pad on the board under the
> back tab was also discoloured. I am tempted to assume the component was
> not tinned properly in the first place and the flexing of the board
> during the move caused the bad joint to finally come apart, but am
> dubious of simply resoldering it in case it's damaged and causes further
> probs down the line. The back tab is quite a big chunk of copper and I
> don't like to keep heating a pcb changing components. So I would really
> like to know if there is any way to check it before I resolder. I probed
> the pins and got about 5 Meg between one leg and case and nothing
> between the legs, or the other leg and case.
> I can find no visible damage to any other components or plug-in boards,
> just a bit nervous of warming up the iron and taking the plunge.
>
> thanks again,
> Mike (spamcheck - remove my footwear to reply)

I tend to agree the MOSFET may have been poorly soldered in the factory
- I've never seen one come off due to overheating, they are usually a
PITA to remove even after being overheated to the point the case is
visibly burnt. Your description of the appearance of the detached MOSFET
and it's site are consistent with a poorly soldered device, and the fact
the board made "attempts to boot" on the bench right before you prodded
the MOSFET off suggests the detached MOSFET could well be your only problem.

My approach would be to test the MOSFET and simply reinstall it if it
tests good. I use the test technique described here:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/mostest.htm

This test is easy but not definitive, however IME it works very reliably
for the MOSFETs used in P2B switching regulators. If yours tests OK, I
suggest you solder it back on and power up the board on the bench to see
if it will boot - while keeping a finger on the MOSFET. Power off
immediately if it gets hot!

I have repaired many P2B-xx boards with onboard supply problems, but I'm
not really an expert in the theory of operation - I cheat by comparing
readings from the defective board to those on a good board :)

Paul has posted excellent advice, which I recommend following if the
problem proves to be more involved than just the detached MOSFET. Feel
free to email me if you need readings from a good board or replacement
components (I have a decent collection of parts boards).

Good luck!

P2B

Mike

Splendid

Paul

Thanks for the detailed account, very helpful.
Everything checked out OK. For interest, CR2 (Q18 on the mobo)is a
PBYL1025B Shottky (I lifted a leg off the board to check it). The 9v
battery trick worked well and your view of the MOSFET pins traced out
correctly.
With the processor(s) plugged in I get the following outputs from the
HIP6019B:-
Vout1 1.8v (Asus ppga adapter cards set to 1.8v)
Vout2 3.27v
Vout3 1.518v
Vout4 2.536v
Without the processor(s) the outputs fall to a few millivolts.
I'm assuming here that Vout1 is Vcore and Vout2 is Vio, not sure what
the others are so I don't know if they are in spec.
However, the mobo won't boot, no beeps, keyboard, graphics, etc.
although the fans do run on the processors and graphics card. Everything
stays at the same temp except the 9150AF-08 PLL which does warm up with
the processors in place.
Not sure what to try next, motherboards are not my forte, hope I havn't
fried all the plug-ins, any ideas?

Thanks again for the help,

Mike wrote:
> Paul
>
> Thanks for the detailed account, very helpful.
> Everything checked out OK. For interest, CR2 (Q18 on the mobo)is a
> PBYL1025B Shottky (I lifted a leg off the board to check it). The 9v
> battery trick worked well and your view of the MOSFET pins traced out
> correctly.
> With the processor(s) plugged in I get the following outputs from the
> HIP6019B:-
> Vout1 1.8v (Asus ppga adapter cards set to 1.8v)

Vcore, as expected. Check the corresponding output from the HIP6004B -
it supplies Vcore to the back CPU slot (closet to I/O connectors).

> Vout2 3.27v

Vio, a little higher than I would expect. Do have have a scope to check
for ripple? (I assume the presence of Vio means you re-installed Q11?)

> Vout3 1.518v

Vtt. Normal reading

> Vout4 2.536v

PLL supply. Normal reading.

> Without the processor(s) the outputs fall to a few millivolts.

As they should when VID inputs indicate no processor present.

> I'm assuming here that Vout1 is Vcore and Vout2 is Vio, not sure what
> the others are so I don't know if they are in spec.
> However, the mobo won't boot, no beeps, keyboard, graphics, etc.
> although the fans do run on the processors and graphics card. Everything
> stays at the same temp except the 9150AF-08 PLL which does warm up with
> the processors in place.

The PLL is normally quite warm, so that's a good sign, but my next move
would still be to check clock outputs if you have a scope available.

> Not sure what to try next, motherboards are not my forte, hope I havn't
> fried all the plug-ins, any ideas?

I would suggest doing all further testing with only one CPU, in the
front slot - even a known good board will frequently show no sign of
life apart from fans because getting the CPU to seat properly can be a
real PITA, especially on boards which have run undisturbed for years
before they wind up on the bench, and a seating problem with either CPU
will stop it from POSTing. I've been cursing the P2B-AE on my bench all
day because it keeps dying on reboot, but if I pull and reseat the
CPU/Slot adapter it POSTs again. I must have reseated 20 times today :-(

If none of the above helps, you really need a POST diagnostic card to
determine your next move - if voltages and clocks are good, the next
thing you need to know is whether there's any BIOS activity at power on.

P2B

Mike

Splendid

Success!!
You were right P2B, it was a seating prob. I installed only 1 processor
in the front slot and it booted, tried the other (again in the front
slot) no joy. I examined the contacts in the slots, they were almost
black with with dirt, etc. So I got out the meths bottle and a 1/2"
paintbrush moistened the brush with the meths, flattened the end of the
brush between my fingers so that it would fit in the slot and gave the
slot a good clean so I could see the gold of the contacts again. Then I
cleaned the edge connectors on the slot 1 adapters with a clean rag
moistened with the meths - I was surprised at the amount of dirt that
came off. I checked that the slots were now dry, reassembled the lot and
presto it booted with 2 processors. My 6 year old daughter is now a
happy girl, the machine is passed on to her, I've upgraded to AMD 3200+.

Many thanks to you P2B for your advice and especially to Paul for his
work helping me with this problem and his exemplary account of the P2B
cicuit and means to test a MOSFET. I am a mechanical engineer, albeit
with a smattering of electronic knowledge - without his help I was lost.
Thanks also to Tim for his contribution. Excellent work all round.

Oh well, back to lurking (been following this group since '98 when I
purchased the mobo).

Mike wrote:
> Success!!
> You were right P2B, it was a seating prob. I installed only 1 processor
> in the front slot and it booted, tried the other (again in the front
> slot) no joy. I examined the contacts in the slots, they were almost
> black with with dirt, etc. So I got out the meths bottle and a 1/2"
> paintbrush moistened the brush with the meths, flattened the end of the
> brush between my fingers so that it would fit in the slot and gave the
> slot a good clean so I could see the gold of the contacts again. Then I
> cleaned the edge connectors on the slot 1 adapters with a clean rag
> moistened with the meths - I was surprised at the amount of dirt that
> came off. I checked that the slots were now dry, reassembled the lot and
> presto it booted with 2 processors. My 6 year old daughter is now a
> happy girl, the machine is passed on to her, I've upgraded to AMD 3200+.
>
> Many thanks to you P2B for your advice and especially to Paul for his
> work helping me with this problem and his exemplary account of the P2B
> cicuit and means to test a MOSFET. I am a mechanical engineer, albeit
> with a smattering of electronic knowledge - without his help I was lost.
> Thanks also to Tim for his contribution. Excellent work all round.
>
> Oh well, back to lurking (been following this group since '98 when I
> purchased the mobo).
>
> Mike (spamcheck - remove my footwear to reply)

Thanks for letting us know!

Glad we were able to help :)

P2B