IRQ Sharing between Creative SB Audigy and Promise FastTra..

I've been trying for a while now to work out why I've been getting
sound problems (Snap, Crackle and Pop) with my Sound Blaster Audigy
Card and I've discovered the cause but can't find a suitable solution.
Basically my Audigy Card and the Promise FastTrak 376 Controller are
both using IRQ 16. Add if I disable the controller in the BIOS the
Sound is perfect. I know it's not possible to change the IRQ because
of Windows XP using APIC and Virtual IRQ address etc etc. So the only
solution I have is to either 1) Leave the Promise Controller disabled
which I don't want to do because I have a SATA Hard Drive that uses
it. 2) Re-install Windows XP and change to the Standard HAL so that I
can manually assign IRQ which again I don't really want to do.
I have all the latest drivers and BIOS for my ASUS P4S8X motherboard,
for the Promise Controller and the Audigy.

So is there any other way to solve this problem?
Is it a WinXP problem or is a hardware driver problem?
Should I be asking Microsoft, ASUS or Creative to fix the problem?

Any help would be great?

Anthony

anthonyyates@btinternet.com (Anthony Yates) wrote in message news:<5d241c85.0406221321.3067ce7a@posting.google.com>...
> I've been trying for a while now to work out why I've been getting
> sound problems (Snap, Crackle and Pop) with my Sound Blaster Audigy
> Card and I've discovered the cause but can't find a suitable solution.
> Basically my Audigy Card and the Promise FastTrak 376 Controller are
> both using IRQ 16. Add if I disable the controller in the BIOS the
> Sound is perfect. I know it's not possible to change the IRQ because
> of Windows XP using APIC and Virtual IRQ address etc etc. So the only
> solution I have is to either 1) Leave the Promise Controller disabled
> which I don't want to do because I have a SATA Hard Drive that uses
> it. 2) Re-install Windows XP and change to the Standard HAL so that I
> can manually assign IRQ which again I don't really want to do.
> I have all the latest drivers and BIOS for my ASUS P4S8X motherboard,
> for the Promise Controller and the Audigy.
>
> So is there any other way to solve this problem?
> Is it a WinXP problem or is a hardware driver problem?
> Should I be asking Microsoft, ASUS or Creative to fix the problem?
>
> Any help would be great?
>
> Anthony

I think I've solved the problem now. When I first got this problem I
had the Sound Card in PCI Slot 6 which I think was shared with PCI
Slot 1 or AGP, not sure. I then changed to PCI Slot 5, which is not
shared with anything, but again it didn't solve the problem. Last
night I decided to move it to PCI Slot 3, which is shared with the
onboard Audio but I have that disabled. At last it worked! When I
rebooted and checked System Information the Sound Card and the Promise
Controller were no longer sharing the same virtual IRQ and the sound
was no longer Crackling and Popping.